Matt Jones Highlights: just a phenominal athlete

was just thinking about him this week bc of the 7 OT with OM and the Amazing plays he made in it.

8 Likes

He’s one of my all time favs. He could score at any time.

1 Like

Thanks for those highlights. Incredible, amazing and sensational are words that come to mind.

1 Like

So fun to watch - may never see another like him

1 Like

I never get over him accelerating away from safeties and corners.

1 Like

Oh man thanks for that Youda. Matt was incredible, could watch him for hours on end. But also brought back memories of so many other AR greats. Birmingham, Smith, Harris, Peters, Wilson. The list goes on during those times.

1 Like

Yeah it was always fun to look back at how he made play after play in that aw shucks Gomer Pyle style attitude of his… He was unbelievable.

3 Likes

Jones ran an electronic time 4.37 at the NFL combine… that is the fastest time ever recorded by a player weighing 240 plus. What gifts he was blessed with in size and speed.

3 Likes

Peters is massive in those clips and to think he was tight end is unbelievable looking back. Good memories. I noted the scores of the games too. Nothing has changed with Alabama and LSU but we used to roll Auburn and poor Ole Miss and South Carolina. Pictures of Tommy Tubberville and Nick Saban are priceless watching Jones pick them apart.

2 Likes

The “Miracle on Markham” play brings back great memories. We had been home visiting family, I gave up watching the game thought we were done. We were near Lonoke on I 40 headed home to TN Jones hit Birmingham for that iconic play listening to Paul on the radio. My wife said I needed to calm down I was all over the road. What a great highlight reel.

4 Likes

With he was on the field, I always believed that our best play was when Jones goes back to pass and all receivers were covered.

1 Like

He’s got nothing on me. Heck I threw a pass against LSU and caught it too. I can still run a 4.5 40. Start on the 4th and finish on the 5th.
Sorry Matt. Couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

I remember posting here (earlier version of this site) 2 games into Matt’s sophomore season that he was THE greatest offensive playmaker in the history of Razorback Football. And I’m not one to make knee-jerk reactions, or to easily “anoint” someone. It has to be earned.

20 years later, I still feel that way. Yes, even ahead of DMac (though he’s very close) and Clyde Scott. Others may disagree, and that’s fine. That’s my opinion. I’ve never been as engaged and can’t-take-my-eyes-off of a player in 60 years as an avid Hog fan as I was when Matt had the ball in his hands. The guy flat out fascinated me.

4 Likes

Agree, when he dropped back to pass, I would instinctively get on the edge of my seat. I was always expecting fireworks. Watching him outrace a corner and safety was a blast, you knew were thinking to themselves, man how can he be that fast.

2 Likes

Nutt saying in the broadcast Matt hold on to the ball as he galloped into the end zone. Wonder how many times Matt was told that and various other instructions that he took with a grain of salt.
Everyone always talks about getting used to the speed of the game, but in Matt’s case it was the game getting used to the speed of him.

2 Likes