Matt...If padded helmets are a success during Sp practice

will they also continue going forward, even during the season?

I don’t think so. I’ve seen teams wearing padded helmets in practice for 10 years or more, but I’ve never seen them in a game.

Thanks for your input.

I have seen them used during the season in high school sports a few years back. It did not seem to be an issue.

We had some padded helmets in 7th grade about 1973, but the face masks on them weren’t much to brag about.

Jim beau, where’d you go to high school?

I never saw padded helmets until a few years ago.

Ironically, the first place I saw them was in a high school football practice at Bentonville when Barry Lunney was the head coach. I didn’t see them at an Arkansas practice until the Bret Bielema years. I’ve often wondered if Barry Lunney Jr. might have recommended them.

Southpaw, the padded helmets back then were not like the state of the art type we see today. More like 1or 2 generations after leather helmets, lol.
The outside padding was thin about 4-6 inches wide down the middle front to back.

To be more clear, in 1973 as a 7th grader in Ozark we had a mixed bag of older football equipment.

The Jr & Sr high teams had the modern good equipment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.