Matt, ? about coach comparisons

From your article:[quote]COACHES Arkansas: Dave Van Horn - 642-362 in 16th season at Arkansas and 962-521 in 24th season overall in Division I; Oregon State: Pat Casey - 863-448-5 in 24th season at Oregon State and overall in Division I.
[/quote]
I’m guessing that the numbers of years coaching must be off for one of these guys. You have DVH with 99 more wins and 73 more losses, but both coaches with 24 years in D1 baseball.
Does that possibly include Dave’s years at other levels?

I’m guessing that the numbers of years coaching must be off for one of these guys. You have DVH with 99 more wins and 73 more losses, but both coaches with 24 years in D1 baseball.
Does that possibly include Dave’s years at other levels?

[/quote]
Marty I’m thinking the rainout factor came into play here. Beavs did not always have the all-turf field and I suspect they lost a lot of games to weather. Plus there’s the postseason play factor. The Pac-12 doesn’t have a tournament and OSU has not made NCAA play as consistently as the Hogs have. Two years before his first national championship OSU had a losing record and only played about 50 games total.

I noticed that, too, but those are records are correct. Casey didn’t go to the postseason in his first 10 years at Oregon State and coached about 50-55 games per year. During Dave’s first 10 years he went to the World Series three times and the postseason most years, and coached between 60 and 70 games most years.

In their first 10 years, Van Horn coached in 82 more games than Casey.

Wasn’t there also a time in D-1 where a team could play practically as many regular season games as they wanted before the NCAA reined that in?

Yes, but that was before both of these coaches were in D1.

OK. I couldn’t remember what year that rule was instituted.