Mason Jones

Mason gave us a look at what we can expect from him this year. Leading rebounder and leading scorer tonight. He and Adrio took up the slack while Gafford and Harris were having off nights. Bailey has played really well in our first 2 games. That’s great to see.

I thought this was a good win tonight, especially the way it played out. There were times when Cal Davis showed how they got to the NCAAs last year. Very rough and tumble game, like we are going to see when we get into the SEC schedule. I like the way we hung tough and closed it out well in the last 5-7 minutes.

Mason Jones made the effort on both ends of the floor. It really nice to see the intensity on both ends of the floor. He has a pretty shot and can take it to the hole. I’m glad he decided to be a hog!

I like Mason’s game he is a great addition

It looks like we got an upgrade at the Jones position. A much better all around player than CJ was.

Yeah, I really like Mason’s game. He reminds me of a more skilled version of Chris “Creep” Walker.

Exactly

I share this only to make a point, wasn’t it a few of you that criticized Mike for offering this young man a scholarship, using his old pictures to show his balloon size at that time. My point is we should be honored and grateful for any kid male or female that chose to play sports at this university, and not wait until he wows you before the accolades fall…

[quote=“HarleyHawgidson”]

Mason gave us a look at what we can expect from him this year. Leading rebounder and leading scorer tonight. He and Adrio took up the slack while Gafford and Harris were having off nights.

[/quote]Yes, Mason looked very good. He’s a hustler and his stroke was smooth. But, how does Gafford only bad 4 rebounds against this smallish team? And, 0 offensive boards. The flu?

[quote=“daBoar”]

I need to watch the game again to confirm if this was the case the whole game, but while watching it live I remember a couple of rebounds Mason got, they had Gafford completely blocked out. They definitely had focused on Gafford.

Gafford’s stats took a hit because UC Davis focused on not letting him beat them. It didn’t pay off, because we have capable rebounders and scorers outside of him, and I thought he did a really good job of staying out of foul trouble. I bet he needed an ice bath after the beating he took on both ends of the court.

Teams will figure out that if they double up on Gafford every possession, that we have two guards that can knock down 3’s at a high rate that will burn them. And, if Bailey can sustain production close to what he has been doing, things will start to open up for everyone else.

This team looks a lot better than I expected them to at this point in the season. The defense looks to be much improved, and the problems showing up on offense don’t seem too serious to me. I think Bailey’s stats will regress a little, but I also think that bench points (Embrey-Simpson, Sillls, Chaney) will pick up, and I think that Harris has a higher ceiling that what we’ve seen so far.

Mason is a very good rebounding guard.

He is getting better by the day and has played very little organized basketball in his life - DeSoto as a junior, Triple AAA Academy as a senior and Connors State as a freshman junior college player.

He has gone from 255 pounds to 207.

Late bloomer that is paying off for Arkansas taking a chance.

He sure is making the transition from JC to D1 smoothly. The gym at Connors is smaller than most high school gyms, and BWA holds about 7 times as many people as there are in the entire town of Warner, OK. Coach Muse does a good job over there though.