Mason Jones

What a pickup

He’s an upgrade from both Hall and CJ

For sure!!

We have benefited from the addition of several players and we have benefited from the subtraction of a few. It’s good to have players who are team first and want to be here. Mr. Jones is a very well rounded player who is blowing away all expectations that I had for him.

Absolutely agree, much better than I expected

I’ve been preaching about Mason on another board and this board ever since I saw the 35 minute tape on him after he committed. I also checked his stats as a freshman starter for the last 20 games last season. He averaged a double-double (20 & 10) for a very good D-1 JUCO for those 20 games. He comes from a great basketball bloodline also, as his older brother played for Duke.

Oh, also, this afternoon I caught a few minutes of Bo’s radio show when he had John Rothstein on. John was discussing how much better the Hogs were than he expected with all the young players. He discussed how he figured Gafford would probably be the only great player, surrounded by lots of youth. Said Joe was a great shooter, and how he was so impressed with Harris as an outstanding assist first PG. He then said, from what he’s seen so far that he thought Mason Jones was the “newcomer of the year” in the SEC.

Coming from Rothstein, this is really good to hear. He has not been a huge fan of Mike or the Hogs in years past that I remember. He seemed genuinely impressed with this young team this year. He said he would probably put them 6th in the SEC right now but with continued improvement from the young newcomers could be fighting for position in the upper echelon of the SEC. Right now, he thought TN and Aub were at the top and KY, LSU, MS St, and possibly the Hogs in that 2nd group.

He was saying that last night on the post game as well. What got me, was a few days ago, he said he thought AR was a second weekend team. Coming from him that is big

Mike has done well with the Jucos lately.

it’s interesting because coach A is a juco product himself having played at a community college that’s huge for the hogs I presume on the recruiting trail

[quote=“ARKANSAS870228”]

it’s interesting because coach A is a juco product himself having played at a community college that’s huge for the hogs I presume on the recruiting trail

[/quote]He also followed his coach to Tulsa, so he was very much a known quantity.

For Arkansas, I think Jones is simply a product of good assessment and timing.

[quote=“daBoar”]

Mike didn’t play for Nolan in junior college. He played against Nolan’s juco team and Nolan offered him a scholarship when he took the job at Tulsa.

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

[quote=“daBoar”]

Mike didn’t play for Nolan in junior college. He played against Nolan’s juco team and Nolan offered him a scholarship when he took the job at Tulsa.

[/quote]My bad. I watched them so much in Tulsa that I assumed he came with Nolan, that said, Anderson was a key to his program at Tulsa.

We should also keep in mind that there are JUCOs and then there are JUCOs with 3 years’ eligibility. There should be very different values associated with them. This was discussed in a long thread on 247. When recruiting services assign stars and numbers to recruits, they automatically reduce them when evaluating JUCOs. ie: an equally talented JUCO may be a 3-star, while the equally talented high school player would be a 4-star. I brought up, what about the 3 year eligible JUCO (not counting a red-shirt) as compared to the 2 yr eligible JUCO. One of the 247 national recruiters said they don’t differentiate in their evaluation, but that they probably should.

Arkansas has been fortunate this year to have 2 of the 3-year eligible JUCOs in Jones and Boyd in football. There are not very many JUCOs with 3 years of eligibility compared to all those with 2 yrs. I believe they have to have been fully academically qualified out of high school.

Two of the four 2019 junior college prospects that Arkansas seems to be pursuing would have three years of eligibility

I know one is Javon Franklin but who is the other?

I am guessing he mans football.

Franklin is a different case than Mason. Franklin is taking his redshirt year this year so he comes in as a red-shirt Sophomore. Mason is a true sophomore and he still has a red-shirt year if needed for injury or whatever.

I assume Dudley is talking about 2 JUCO football players coming in as true sophomores. Unless, he’s also talking about red-shirt sophs.

No, basketball.

Javon Franklin and Demontry Dixon will have 3 years of eligibility.

Dixon is the 6-9, 200-pound forward from Morristown, Tenn., Walters State

Dudley, any news on Franklin’s leg injury/recovery.