Martin at .344 OBP

After 20 games, Casey now has one of the team’s worst on base percentages. I wonder what’s going on to resolve it.

No doubt he needs to get on base more. But that’s not the only number that matters. In terms of OPS, Martin is @ 0.85, which is ahead of Nesbit, Opitz, Goodheart, Harris, Plunkett, and McFarland.
He also has a lower strikeout percentage than: Franklin, Kjerstad, Goodheart, Washington, Plunkett, and McFarland.
He has a higher BB percentage than: Kjerstad, Goodheart, Harris, and McFarland.
He leads the team in total bases, and is second in RBIs.
He has also not hit into a double play yet this year (granted, hitting leadoff helps with this, but so does his speed)

I know we do and should expect better than middle of the pack from Martin because he is immensely talented. Just wanted to show that he’s still producing some even with such a low OBP (he’s ahead of only McFarland in OBP).

Right now he is averaging .259 on the season. I really believe that he is a better hitter than that, because he showed a way higher ceiling last year. I think for Martin, the key for raising his OBP is going to be raising his batting average, rather than by taking more walks. And I fully expect him to raise his batting average as the season goes on, as he raised it during conference play last year.

Casey is getting himself out he is not swing at many strikes and he has to realize they’re not going to throw in strikes because they know he’ll mash them… he just needs to relax go up there and look for a pitch in a certain area and if it’s not there leave it alone take your walk you got three great hitters right behind you but he’s so aggressive and trying to get everything 500 feet I’m not sure he’ll be willing to do that

Casey is getting himself out he is not swing at many strikes and he has to realize they’re not going to throw in strikes because they know he’ll mash them… he just needs to relax go up there and look for a pitch in a certain area and if it’s not there leave it alone take your walk you got three great hitters right behind you but he’s so aggressive and trying to get everything 500 feet I’m not sure he’ll be willing to do that

He said it himself a few games ago. Take what pitchers are giving him and go to right field. He took a ball to right center last night that resulted in a single a 2 RBI’s. That’s the solution. Martin will heat up. After last night I think the hogs may be able to show production throughout the batting order top to bottom.
Martin can and will hit!

I’m not all that worried about it.
He’s getting the bat on the ball, just popping up a lot. As soon as he gets that swing leveled out he’ll be fine

He’s a great player, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

I bet he gets it going in the OBP.

Yep

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

He’s a great player, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

I bet he gets it going in the OBP.

[/quote]I don’t mean to be a jerk, but ya’ll appear to have missed the point. 20 games is a third of this marathon. Have you run a third of a marathon lately? That’s a long distance.

[quote=“daBoar”]

I’ve run 19 marathons. The first 20 miles are easy. The last 6 are what kick your butt.

We’ve played 20 games (won 18) and three SEC games. 35 and 27 to go. We’ve done okay with Casey (relatively) scuffling. Although a lot of teams would be thrilled to have leadoff man at .344 OBP.