Martin and Kjerstadt batting 1 and 2?

Is that going to continue all season, or is Dave going to test different lineups early in the season? I was expecting them to be batting 3 and 4 this year. I can see why Ezell probably needs to claim one of those 2 spots though. I think I like Casey at the 1, but I’d think Kjerstadt should have one of the 3, 4, or 5 spots.

DVH has said he will continue to tweak the lineup throughout the season. He has also said he’ll spread out Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher. I suspect we’ll get someone to fill the 2 hole. I think we have a lot of hitters that fit the 3-6 role, but no one that’s a true 2 hole. If Opitz can hit for average, he may be the guy.

Van Horn likes what the Blue Jays began doing a few years back by putting their best hitter in the No. 2 spot. He’s done that quite a bit the past three years. Kjerstad was second in the order a lot last year.

Martin in the leadoff role makes a lot of sense. He gets on base and he can run the bases really well.

[quote=“MountainHawg”]

DVH has said he will continue to tweak the lineup throughout the season. He has also said he’ll spread out Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher. I suspect we’ll get someone to fill the 2 hole. I think we have a lot of hitters that fit the 3-6 role, but no one that’s a true 2 hole. If Opitz can hit for average, he may be the guy.

[/quote]

Thanks. On the 2 hole, If Kenley’s bat is as improved as it looked in the double header, he could be great in the 2 hole. He was 3-7 plus 3 BB. Those numbers would also be great at lead-off, especially the walks. That would set up what Dave said he wanted, Martin at the 2, Kjerstadt at the 4, and Fletcher at the 6.

Ezell might be the best hitter on team. He’s behind Kjerstad and Martin. Ezell is great protection for two really good hitters. I think you want to get Martin and Kjerstad as many at bats as possible.

I think you will see the lefties mixed up against lefty starters.

I like Martin leading off. His RBI’s might dip a little. But he needs to learn to take a double and be satisfied. Trying to leg out a triple wasn’t very smart.
Heston in the 2 hole gives the hogs a flip from RH to LH and then a SH in the 3 hole.
Heston can handle the bat he hit a lot of balls that normally fall over the weekend.
Ezell very well may be the best hitter of the group! Fletcher is the one I would like to see hit some line drives instead of long fly ball outs. If he just hit the ball hard on a line he will hit the home runs.
Kenley looked good at the plate. Nesbit looked equally impressive. We will get a better idea after the trip to USC what the early offense and pitching will look like.
I hope the defense improves. Botching double plays usually comes back to bite you in big games.

I could see Martin, Ezell, Kjerstad, Fletcher. Not a penalty for Heston for a slower start this weekend, just like to get Ezell to the plate more.