Marcel Dareus.. former Bama player

According to News4Jax.com, Jaguars defensive tackle Marcel Dareus has been sued for sexual assault, and for exposing the unnamed plaintiff to a sexually-transmitted disease.

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ma … spartanntp

Just another one of the outstanding young men raised by Saint Nick and his staff at Alabama, where they care not only about champions but turning boys in to fine young men. Evidently they did a fine job on this one.

I’ve got a friend who works with the Alabama student athletes in a program that helps prepare them for life after football. Bama brings in people from the corporate world to work with them on everything from dress, to resumes, to how to interview for a job. That includes discussions about keeping their nose clean because every employer today does background checks. From everything he has told me, Saban and his staff do indeed work hard with their players to get their minds and values right. It doesn’t always take. It particularly can go awry when the player is given a huge amount of cash at 20 years old when signing a pro contract. That sometimes does just the opposite of getting values right. In short, I wouldn’t blame Saban for this guy’s problems. He has to take personal responsibility for his actions.

I agree with the concept of money corrupts and it seems that sports like football have been quite corrupt for years now. What was supposed to be an innocent amateur sport has been for sale for years. I still wonder just how much money Eric Dickerson got to play football for SMU.

I had a couple of conversations with a former business partner that was an NBA All Star in the 80’s and early 90’s. We talked about kid’s getting big money at a young age and how many don’t handle the money or life well. This guy said it typically started when these youngsters were still in middle or high school and were given tons of attention and in many cases allowed to get away with things because of their abilities. He asked me how I would have handled big bucks when I was 20 years old. That was a sobering thought.

And on the other side most handled it well but you hear a lot about those that do not. I’m not a Saban fan but this one is not on him. At least IMO.

Fault lies with the individual.

A few thoughts on this:

• A civil lawsuit does not prove guilt.

• It has been almost a decade since he played college football.

• Holding the (unsubstantiated) faults of one individual against an entire organization is a slippery slope.

I think every school has their issues with players getting in trouble down the road.

When you have around 100 players each year, over a decades time you can guarantee some will get in trouble. We just had a former Razorback arrested not too long ago as well.

Say all we can about the types of players Saban brings in, but at the end of the day… he’s winning national championships and giving them the opportunities of a life time. Ultimately you can’t help them if they don’t want to help themselves when they get out on their own.

There have been issues here.

There have been issues there

There have been issues everywhere.

Players getting in trouble has been a common thing since before WW II. The difference now is that it’s much harder to keep it quiet.

In the old days the cops called the coach for anything but a major felony, and things were handled quietly. Sometimes guys got kicked off the team, sometimes the damages were paid by someone, and sometimes victims got bought off. Reporters who knew about it generally kept their mouths shut. Right or wrong, that’s the way things got done.

In our information age it becomes much harder to keep those sins out of the public eye. Whether it’s people posting everything they think they know or see on social media or county jails posting booking information (including mug shots of our fallen heroes) online, there is just a lot more access to other people’s troubles. Again, right or wrong, that’s the way things are.

Are players now generally worse human beings than players a couple of generations ago? I doubt it. But the average fan certainly has more information about the players’ bad behavior now than in the past.

Truth

I’m impressed to read another posters points of how Bama brings in Corp workd folks to work with these players to get them ready for employment and life

That is very commendable - I did the same as a commander in the Army - still no matter how hard you try / there are God’s special children that simply will do it thier way and wonder why they reap the wirlwind

Sadly - his mistakes affects others

Who remembers how many paid for this individuals actions?

There once was a Coach Bobby P, a Blond, a Motorcycle on April Fools Day…,

Arkansas still has not recovered for that individuals failure - Im just waiting for the final mail in the UofL program coffin- it may be only s matter of time

I remember a few years ago, some Bama players committed a very violent crime. Saban dismissed all of he players involved. One was a talented linebacker who expressed an interest in transferring to Arkansas. While CBB did talk to the guy, he did not offer him an opportunity to play here. There were some on this board however, who were more than willing to give him a shot here. I’m not opposed to giving someone a second chance if a player appears to be genuinely remorseful and if their crime was not a violent one. However, a coach owes it to the student body to never place a person with a history of violence against innocent people into their midst.