Made the mistake of reading _ally

Or at least the lede of his column today.

“Arkansas and LSU battled for almost 59 minutes to gain an advantage and some momentum.”

Two things:

You’d think he’d know by now that basketball games are 40 minutes, not 60.

And does ANYBODY edit stuff any more?

3 Likes

Surely he explains where he came up with this 59 minute number in the actual article?

I’ve avoided _ally _all for over a decade. He’s a piece of work. Trust me on that one.

5 Likes

Surely you’re kidding. And don’t call me Shirley.

The answer is no, he didn’t.

1 Like

You got that right. I’ve known him since 1978. And known he was a hack since about 1979.

4 Likes

He constantly has mistakes. I don’t think anyone reads it before it’s published. He misses the correct years of games, players names etc.

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned before that when I worked for the Gazette in its final years, we were told not to edit OH’s stuff. Just slap a headline on it. I violated that rule only once, when there was a minor factual error that I knew the correct info. So I fixed it. If anyone noticed, they didn’t say anything.

But OH had forgotten more about the Razorbacks than anyone else knew in the first place. You can’t say the same about _ally. How he’s kept that job for 40+ years I have no idea.

4 Likes

He avidly watches the 20 before the game.

Hey, now, he’s an opinion writer and as with other opinion writers, the facts are not particularly important.

1 Like

My dislike of _ally goes beyond his opinions and writing. Which are bad. I’ll leave it at that.

5 Likes

He’s the voice of incompetence. Incompetence interviewed a lot of voices.

1 Like

Same here

1 Like

The main thing I see about his writing is that there is simply no substance to it. He really just regurgitates what happened in the same way one could get from reading a box score or play by play.

3 Likes

From reading this thread, I see there is some true personal animosity about him. I played on a softball team that played against the team he was on many times and we were invited to his end of year tournament for several years. I never found him to be any thing nice and respectful when they won and when we beat them.

I personally read his column every now and then. Sometimes I agree with his opinions and sometimes I don’t.

Have nothing personal against him. I just think if you are the sports editor of the state’s largest paper you should care enough to try and get facts right. He doesn’t bother to check an old score or year or player. I think that’s an insult to the paying subscribers.

Also his Sunday post game football write ups are “we scored then they scored then we scored”. Again everyone knows that already. Probably writes it in 10 minutes.

2 Likes

I think Wally was just making a point about the over use of replays and timeouts and endless commercial breaks in today’s game. I suspect even Nolan would be referring to his style of play as 60 minutes of hell, if he was still coaching.

Yet you read his article and posted about it. If he’s a hack what does that make you?

But those Fudge stripe cookies he bakes in his tree are delicious.

4 Likes

I would say it makes him an informed critic.

Would be worse to criticize something you haven’t read.

2 Likes

If I piss you off so much, why the hell don’t you block me?

1 Like