LSU’s phantom first down

Aloha,
From the stands, my pair of 63 year old eyes thought LSU failed to make their late fourth quarter first down. It was quickly ruled a first down and I believe the review confirmed the first down.
Question. For those of you who watched the game on TV, was it truly a first down?
UA…Campus of Champions

Not even close. About as bad a review decision as the one at Auburn that was a travesty.

2 Likes

No part of his body got to the stick. He was driven sideways and out of bounds about 18 inches short. It was a bad call to begin with and should have been an easy reversal for Birmingham, except that as we know Birmingham always protects the ranked team.

3 Likes

At least a half yard shy if not more. Announcers flipped back and forth on it to, but ultimately sided with the refs.

They always have a weasel-out on “indisputable evidence to overturn”. Except that there was indisputable evidence.

2 Likes

I honestly thought Sam Pittman was going to get a penalty for coming after the head of the crew. He’s a better man than me.

1 Like

That was an absolutely terrible call. It’s inexcusable it wasn’t reversed in B’ham. I watched it several times & no part of the receiver or the ball ever reached the sticks. The pad on the ground was right at the line to gain. The right (front) foot of the receiver never touched it & the ball was right up against the receiver’s chest as he went out of bounds backwards. It was indisputable he failed to make it to the line. Totally indisputable.

2 Likes

If the ball and the first down line had been a meteor passing by earth it would have missed by 10 million miles and called close. It was not close. WPS

I have 1 question, why was that left foot Not ruled as the out of bounds?? Going backwards the left ft. was the farthest away from the 1st down marker??

So what is the call?

Just plain horrible on the field call and worse replay call. Why have replay? If I was Sam I’d been kicked out of the game.

2 Likes

@MattJones @ScottieBordelon did anyone ask Sam about that call? Not that he could/would give his opinion.

The announcers pulled the “camera angle” excuse, saying it looked short but the camera angle could be deceiving on how far forward the ball was in relation to the sticks. But as mentioned, watching the feet and the ball tucked against the chest told the story. Nice try, they had to come up with some cover for the horrible call.

2 Likes

Pittman said that play was sent to the SEC for review.

3 Likes

Well,…just probably too many "local alumni " working at the SEC office…

Put a camera on the first-down markers, same as has been done with the pylons.

6 Likes

yes. They did that & it was really lame of them. It didn’t matter what angle you saw, the right foot closest to the first down pad was a good 2 feet short of it. The ball wasn’t out in an extended arm. It was against the receiver’s body. One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Ranks up there with the backwards spike at Auburn. The only difference is that call definitely cost us the game. This call only cost us a better opportunity to win it.

3 Likes

Sam was asked about that call at the tail end of his press conference. He looked toward Arkansas’ SID, who was about 10-12 feet away, and asked what he could say. Ultimately he found it best to not say anything.

2 Likes

You are correct…except there is one caveat to that “rule”…if Arkansas is the ranked team, that clause is ignored.

Otherwise, I agree 100%. Unlike may replay scenarios, it was easy to see where the ball was at all times…he never attempted to extend it across the line to gain, and NO part of his body touched that line. He was 1 to 2 feet short of a first down. Not a lot, but definitely short with no doubt.

Absolutely should have been reversed. At first, I was sure they would. But the longer the review took, the worse feeling I got. We’ve all seen that scenario before, and know how it plays out for Arkansas 90% of the time.

1 Like

Word Matt on first down marker cameras!

Sounds good in theory, but in practice I’d bet those markers would be moving or wobbling too much to be of much value. If the play is to that side, they may be pulling the marker to get it out of the way of the players coming to their sideline. If it’s on the other side, probably going to be a few big bodies in the line of vision from one sideline to another. And even if neither of those things happen, the guy handling the marker may be shaking it a little.