LR Trojan Basketball

I did not realize they had traded in their Sunbelt membership for the watered down OVC. Nor did I realize they were 5-15. Looks like Darrell’s done. Paging Chris Beard. Wouldn’t be the first time LR hired a winning coach with violence against women issues. Returning to the pines would be a proper pennance for the man, IMHO.

Hate to see that record. Darrell is one of my favorite Hogs. I’ve had the pleasure of visiting with him. Dang…

2 Likes

Darrell is a good man and set a positive example for his players and everyone he comes into contact with. The record is hard to look at but o hope they don’t put Beard back at the helm.

1 Like

Completely agree but the deep pockets are going to dictate a decision based on their entertainment interest whether positive examples follow or not. That said, I don’t foresee Beard being markable without a demonstration of penance in some manner. He has far too much Gillespie resemblance right now and would splinter, if not split, most any college fanbase today.

1 Like

I’m not sure you can splinter a fan base that barely exists. That program would seem to be on life support. Much like Chris Beard’s coaching career. Bad medicine and or shock therapy, could be good for both. Now don’t get me wrong. I do not want to see CDW get axed. I just assume that is coming.

2 Likes

I understand. You are right on the current fan base by attendance. I only suggest Beard is not ready for a re-entry at UALR although some of those deep pockets would likely support an improved product on the Jack Stephen Center floor. Too bad CDW can’t make that happen. He and Foley are both good coaches for UALR.

1 Like

I have to think that N.I.L. is killing programs like UALR and UCA. Very hard to attract and retain quality players, when the deep pockets aren’t that deep.

1 Like

I totally agree though I would extend that to include programs such as the Hill as well. The glute of money is limited by percentage of wealth in general populations and despite NWA’s obvious affluence in pales when compared to the NIL wealth represented in an alumni the size of ones for A&M, Texas, UGA, LSU, BAMA, Florida, Tennessee, etc. Disposal wealth likely for direction to NILs is a new science.

I would love it if Muss could add Darrell to our staff. More NBA experience and Hog royalty.

Walker is one of my favorite Hogs of all time. That said, not sure I have seen enough coaching success for him to be hired at Arkansas even as an assistant.

1 Like

Where has Little Rock been playing home games lately? I saw that their arena was damaged several weeks ago by burst water pipes (I think). Were they able to get it fixed enough to play there, or did they move them to a different location?

How could he possibly have success at LR? He humbled himself even taking the job. That program is a joke.
Darrell was an NBA head coach. UALR is beneath him. He recruited well, but all his best players portalled out.
Just look at what Nowell is doing at K-State. He is a stud, and Darrell took a chance on him as a smaller guard. I wish Nowell was a Hog.
If the stars ever align, and Muss has an opening, I would do back flips if he hired Darrell.

My son in law played baseball at UA Little Rock. Little fan base for any sport.

1 Like

Mike Newell, Porter Moser and Chris Beard managed to catch lightening in a bottle and have some success there. All of them springboarded out of there as soon as they could. Wimp Sanderson found new coaching life there and did OK. I think it is probably a worse job now than it was a few years ago. Darrell was at D-2 Clark Atlanta before he took the job. He’s a few years removed from his last NBA job. Maybe they’ll give him another yeat. I have no idea. PJ seems to have some knowledge of what goes on over there. Would love to hear his thoughts.

Yes OVC is terrible. UALR didn’t trade in the Sunbelt membership. They were asked to leave because they decided not to have a football program. That is what Sunbelt is wanting all its members to have.

The other problem with programs like Little Rock and probably other mid majors is that they cannot keep good players. If they do well, they get into transfer portal to find a place in major programs. Kamani is an example. So there is not much talent right now. They play hard to the end, but are consistently losing close games.

I am still going to just about every game to support the program. There is a loyal fan base that comes to every game but it is a small base.

1 Like

Sun Belt doesn’t want anybody that doesn’t play football any more. So UALR and UT-Arlington found other places to play.