Looking ahead, showdown with Longhorns at CWS?

The way things seem to be rolling out, this matchup is quite possible. Wouldn’t that be great?

Depending on where the Fallopians get seeded, it might not be possible until the championship series. That would be great.

Yea, that’s what I was hoping for, and then for the NCAA to open up to full attendance in Omaha.

I doubt they’ll open up any more but I could be wrong. Omaha is preparing for 50%. So are we.

It’s way too early to predict the field for Omaha, but both Texas & we have an excellent chance to get there. Of course, so do about a dozen other teams & we’re hardly guaranteed a spot. I think we’ll win our regional, but it still comes down to a 3 game series at Baum. The good news is that no matter who we face, they will be no better than any team we haven’t already faced and beaten.

1 Like

I just want to get there and then they can pair us with whoever they want to.

2 Likes

Get there first. Then we will worry about who we play. Must get there and then must win that first game. Does not matter who it is, must win and to do that, pitching must be consistently good to very good each and every time. No room for error.

We have beaten Texas in OMA before and it was fun, but there, it does not matter. Whoever it is is going to be a good team -sort of like the SEC, but winning 2 out of 3 there is not good enough. That is why it is so hard to win the thing and it should be hard.

1 Like

Just getting to Omaha is a gigantic accomplishment. We are certainly positioned well to do that, but we all know it will be a battle royal. Of course, that’s why we enjoy it so much. Hoping our bullpen gets healthy to the point where we have a high level of confidence in eleven to twelve pitchers. This team is focused and confident just like their coach.

We can go 10-4 in the postseason and still win the natty. One loss in regional, one in super, one in Omaha bracket, one in championship series. So there is room for error.

I like our odds.

Rather make it to the championship series errorless. The main thing is getting to Omaha, but bigger main thing is not letting the pressure get to us and dictate our play once there. Will be like a whole new season for these kids. I think only a very few on our pitching staff have been there before and Opitz?

This is one year a playoff really hurts the Hogs. If the national championship were decided by polls based upon records, SOS, etc, we’d be the consensus, maybe unanimous, number 1 team in the country. No one has done nearly as well this season. Yet have a couple of bad games at the wrong time & you’re out.

I’m not advocating we abolish the NCAAT or the CWS. They’re part of college baseball tradition & for that matter baseball tradition. Just pointing out that it hurts to be the best team in the country by just about every measure & still not even get to Omaha. Fortunately, unlike football or basketball, a team has to lose twice to get eliminated.

By my count, 15 players on this year’s roster were on the College World Series team two years ago.

Player with the experience can pay off!
I just want our hogs to get to Omaha! Once they make it take it one pitch at a time. This years Hogs are good enough to win it all like 2 years ago! The rain delay last time around gave Oregon State time to get their pitchers some rest that hurt our hogs. I do think we have better defense especially on the infield than the team 2 years ago!

If we’d lost that game in Arlington to the Fallopians, they’d probably be #1 this week instead of us, so the margin isn’t that great.

Yes, but we won it—just as MSU & OM did against them. So right now the margin for being number one is great. If Texas had swept that opening weekend, they’d be number one by a large margin & deservedly so, despite playing a much weaker schedule than we have.

1 Like

Texass’ SOS on Warren Nolan is #8. Ours is #1, and about to get better (we finish with the #20 RPI team, they finish with highly mediocre Rice and almost as mediocre WVU). Their NC SOS is #70, ours is #53.

CWS starts on Saturday the 19th, by the way. If they play it the same way they did in 2018, the 1 seed will open on Sunday the 20th and would play its second game on Tuesday the 22nd. Win both of those, game three is on Friday the 25th. Win all three and the championship series starts on Monday the 28th.

What that schedule tells me is that Kevin Kopps can pitch every freaking game if needed as long as we keep winning, until the championship series which is three straight days. There would be a loser’s bracket game on the 24th and possibly on the 26th.

[quote=“neastarkie, post:12, topic:42446”]This is one year a playoff really hurts the Hogs. If the national championship were decided by polls based upon records, SOS, etc, we’d be the consensus, maybe unanimous, number 1 team in the country. No one has done nearly as well this season. Yet have a couple of bad games at the wrong time & you’re out.

I’m not advocating we abolish the NCAAT or the CWS. They’re part of college baseball tradition & for that matter baseball tradition. Just pointing out that it hurts to be the best team in the country by just about every measure & still not even get to Omaha. Fortunately, unlike football or basketball, a team has to lose twice to get eliminated. [/quote]

And this is the reason I’m against expanding the College Football Playoffs.

Baseball is a different game. The margin of difference between even the best and worst teams is not as great, and is reflected in the win/loss percentages of the respective sports. So, a series makes sense in baseball. And, against a tournament field of teams that have shown they “belong”.

I’ve stated many times before; the larger then playoff field, the greater the chance that the team that really is “the best” does NOT win. That’s true of any “lose one game and go home” type format. However, counterintuitive to most fans who think that a larger playoff field “ensures that the best team actually wins”.

Not trying to hijack the thread…just commenting on your post content.

That’s why I oppose a football playoff, too. At least I oppose expanding it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.