little 12 decides against expansion

Big 12 decides against expansion

Couple of things from this:

1. LD is still going to implode when the TV deals run out. It’s too dysfunctional. The question is whether Mobilehoma will develop enough testosterone to cut the umbilical with Mother Bevo. A lot of Paperclip fans around Da Fort are ready for OU to give Bevo the single-finger salute and go to the SEC, but the PTB may or may not concur.

2. Tom Herman will be outta Houston. He might have stayed if he got the $5 million bonus for UH entering a Power 5 conference, but now that this won’t happen, Cougar High can’t afford to keep him.

Jeff, I think that your second point is significant. Herman might well have stayed had Houston joined. Now: Hello Ausitin.

Who will open the checkbook wider for Herman? LSU or TEXASS

Yep.

Completely unrelated coaching speculation: I’ve seen two sites over the weekend projecting Les Miles as a candidate for the Purdue job. Would be interesting. For one thing, Purdue has a great agri department so Grasseater would have high-quality forage to chew on. Lord knows the Cornfield Sailors need a coach in the worst way.

:lol: :lol:

Any big school with an opening is going to come after Herman. He’ll have his pick of the top jobs. Will he go for the cash or go for where he has the best chance of winning championships?

Or Notre Dame

The Fox and ESPN executives made this decision for the Big 12. They told Bob Bowlsby that expanding was not in the league’s best interest from a TV standpoint.

[quote=“MattJones”]
The Fox and ESPN executives made this decision for the Big 12. They told Bob Bowlsby that expanding was not in the league’s best interest from a TV standpoint.
[/quote]I don’t doubt that Matt, but you have gained my respect for saying it publicly. That is part of the grand plan probably — which, and I am just guessing, is going to look more like NFL divisions eventually. TV will dictate.

USC.

[quote=“dm919”]

All expansion can be traced back to the 1984 Supreme Court decision NCAA v. Oklahoma Board of Regents. That took away from the NCAA the ability to sell TV rights, and gave it back to schools, which then turned over the rights to the conferences. That was the first domino. Within five years, Penn State, Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Florida State and many more schools were exploring whether to change conference affiliations. Of course most did. Even in the 1980s, the conferences could see the tremendous influence that TV would have in potential revenue.

The TV influence is ultimately what brought down the Southwest Conference; the league only reached 6 percent of households in the U.S., which made it unappealing to TV networks. The declining attendance, scandals and pro influence in Texas all contributed, but the SWC was doomed when it couldn’t find a national TV exposure like its counterparts.

[quote=“MattJones”]

[quote=“dm919”]

All expansion can be traced back to the 1984 Supreme Court decision NCAA v. Oklahoma Board of Regents. That took away from the NCAA the ability to sell TV rights, and gave it back to schools, which then turned over the rights to the conferences. That was the first domino. Within five years, Penn State, Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Florida State and many more schools were exploring whether to change conference affiliations. Of course most did. Even in the 1980s, the conferences could see the tremendous influence that TV would have in potential revenue.

The TV influence is ultimately what brought down the Southwest Conference; the league only reached 6 percent of households in the U.S., which made it unappealing to TV networks. The declining attendance, scandals and pro influence in Texas all contributed, but the SWC was doomed when it couldn’t find a national TV exposure like its counterparts.
[/quote]So, is that where the Little 12 is headed — same route as the SWC ? That seems like it, but Texas eventually has to assimilate into the Union, lol -----No offense, because I realize you were born there ---- maybe not for any other reason than football. Wouldn’t that be a trip.

[quote=“dm919”]

I would think the Big 12 is headed for the same fate as the SWC, yes. The teams will be consolidated with other conferences, or be left out in the cold (Iowa State).

And I was born in Fort Smith.

[quote=“MattJones”]

[quote=“dm919”]

I would think the Big 12 is headed for the same fate as the SWC, yes. The teams will be consolidated with other conferences, or be left out in the cold (Iowa State).

And I was born in Fort Smith.
[/quote]Dang ---- sorry about that, that is like a slap in the face and I confused with somebody else, and I apologize. I like the way you think, and it is coming. Might actually be better for the U of A, but man, hard to say. Allowing A&M in this conference hurt our recruiting. Realignment without freaking Alabama to play every year ---- I would welcome though.

There are no attractive options for the league. Matt is right.

It’s just matter of time before the league is history.

[quote=“RichardDavenport”]
There are no attractive options for the league. Matt is right.

It’s just matter of time before the league is history.
[/quote]Richard, completely off topic ----- but I appreciate your work with the recruits ---- and I listen a lot. That is something you have to be gifted with, and I appreciate that.

Where will we fit into that — better or worse ? Just hard to say I would think, but maybe you guys have spent time thinking about it. I have not.

[quote=“dm919”]

I think it’s plus for Arkansas if you’re talking about after the Big 12 breaks up. I assume OU will try and get into the SEC. Texas will probably try to get into the PAC 12 or be so ignorant and try and be an independent.

[quote=“MattJones”]
[/quote]]
And then they slipped their hands up the back of OU president David Boren and made him say odd things, such as “There is not a single school in this conference that is looking to go elsewhere. We are committed to each other.”

:roll:

They’re not all on the same page as one would expect.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st … ier-divide