Listening to DD on Bo show about Coaches

It was a really good segment

DD mentioned the JFB was the #2 Coach in the country in the 60’s but what happened in the 70’s?

I agree JFB was a great coach in the 60’s but what happened in the 70’s?

My explanation is the loss to LSU in the 66 Cotton Bowl that denied Arkansas an undisputed National Title hurt

Then the 6 Dec 1969 Loss to Texass (Spit) something just seemed to never be the same for JFB

I surmise he expended so much energy and creative effort in that time period to get to the top of the mountain only to slip and slide back down into the valley seemed to take the breath out of JFB is what I propose

HDN - happy for him as a Cotton Bowl Hall iof Fame inductee

HDN - I lovef his ability to motivate but as discussed in that Bo show segment / he was good for a time but waned - why ?

IMHO HDN was always a project coach - he could of grown into the job but I suspect he never grew out of Murray St level as a program CEO

A mixed bag of great motivational instinct and inability to direct others to do what he wanted done - it appeared HDN had to have his hands on the strrring wheel

His inability to take his hands off the OC job hurt him greatly just like it did Ken Hatfield

But for the time HDN gave us a great ride - his mountain top was that 2000 Cotton Bowl - sadly his refusal to allow an OC to run the offense IMHO cost him a SEC Championship - but that’s just me with my limited knowledge of the program

Coach Morris - I’m thinking he is the right fit

The program hangs in the balance with his hire

I’m really liking all I’m reading on the recruiting trail he is blazing

Maybe Arkansas has finally found the right fit for a coach in Morris for this time

I suspect if Coach Morris fails Arkansas slips to become ”Ar- KANSAS” And we are simply another inconsequential program tied to Mizzou in a insignificant
End of year game

Or Arkansss become Arkansas again - a Shio Of Buccaneers raiding and buring and terrorizing it’s wsy across the conference

I hope Coach Morris has a great new Era that makes us forget the 60’s

I can relate what I have been told from sources that had a pretty good grip on The Program 60’s & 70’s relative JFB. You are pretty close. I have been told that after the '69 game there was a let down in energy or whatever you want to call it. A lot of effort was also placed on the 70 season and the Stanford opener in LR. It was still a good season, but the Texas game that year sort of ended it. They regained the mojo a year or so later which led to the '75 Championship and to Holtz’s Orange Bowl team (a great, great OLine).

Both Hatfield and HDN understood the AR situation. Hatfield is a good guy, but was not elite (good, but not elite). He had a good run, but could never duplicate the success at Clemson or Rice. Love him. He is all Razorback. HDN is similar, but seems to have more personal flaws, and we saw what happened when he went to MS. He certainly did some good things at AR. It is thought that JFB could not compeletely let these guys alone, and that did not help. I don’t know, but certainly smoke.

Who knows about Morris. I like what I hear, but I liked Bret as well and we see where that led. Morris is going to need time and we must give it to him. The overall talent level is way down and not close to SEC level. All we can do is hope.

I think JFB was one of the best coaches ever. His teams were just so sound. He got “out coached” a few times, but that was rare. He did a remarkable job.

The SEC is very different now than it was when Ford and Nutt were coaching. We joined the SEC at a time when Bama and Auburn were down, Ole Miss was down, and Texas A&M had not joined the west. The East Division with Tennessee and Florida playing well was the tougher division. Danny recruited better than he got credit for and Nutt took Ford’s players to the top of the heap for a while. Nutt could not sustain the recruiting quality and the SEC West took off. Saban righted the ship at Bama, Auburn brought in Malzahn’s HUNH offense, Ole Miss (after they ran Nutt off) started buying great players, and Texas A&M joined up and started taking away our SEC recruiting advantage in Texas. All of that means that CBB and CCM are not dealing with the same situation that Ford and Nutt did. Ole Miss is falling back some but A&M is passing us by to join Bama, LSU, Auburn, & sometimes MissState all well ahead of us in the west. I think it was Orville Henry that said as we left the SWC that Arkansas will be playing 3-4 Texas’s each season in the SEC. Frank only had to deal with Texas as a national power and an occasional SMU, Houston, or A&M team that might be strong and never all three strong in the same season. Chad Morris has to deal with 3-4 teams who are as good as Texas ever got to be every year. He has way more money and far better facilities than Frank ever did, but he has a lot tougher job to do. I don’t know that we have the second coming of J. Frank Broyles in Morris and it may not matter if we do, since the mountain to climb is a lot higher now. JMVVVVVHO.

Good points, Hogmodo. We are at the bottom of the West with Ole Miss. Even Mississippi State is better than us, currently. I suspect they will come back below us due to losing Dan Mullen. He was the best coach in the West, except for Saban, in my view. He elevated the cow college to nice heights, not seen since the days of Jackie Sherrill.

I am hopeful Coach Morris can get the program to a nice level of competitiveness. I think he can because of his ability to recruit Texas. That is the key, in my view, to Coach Morris’ success. We don’t have the players in Arkansas to elevate the program, but if we can get recruit well in Texas…then we will have something.

How would you define down? Alabama won the national championship in 1992 and Auburn was undefeated the next year. Those were not outlier seasons, either. Those teams were real good for Arkansas’ first several years in the conference.

Tennessee and UF were powerhouses when Ford and Nutt coached. Saban was at LSU. Spurrier and Holtz were around. Jackie Sherrill, Tommy Tuberville.

IMO, the SEC isn’t as strong as it once was. It’s still the best, however

Wasn’t me. :sunglasses:

If it wasn’t you but Clay

You just reaffirmed my faith in Clay - he knows what he is talking about

Yes, Bama won the NC under Stallings in 1992, the year Arkansas joined the conference. Their program then went into a tail spin with Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula, and Kines all coaching poorly until Saban took over in 2007. After Pat Dye retired in 1992 Terry Bowden floundered until Tuberville took over in 1999 and then he tailed off in 2008 and got fired. It is no coincidence that Arkansas’s 1st in the West finish in 1998, 2002, and 2006 happened during those periods. JMVVVVVHO

Stallings was still at Alabama and Bowden was doing well at Auburn when Arkansas won first SEC title in 1995.

The problem is we replaced our stud coach with a flop. May have been good on paper, but Bielema was awful. The problem is it is harder for Arkansas to recover from our version of Dumbose due to our lack of in state talent.

I loved Dubose at Bama !

HDN first Game against him was s
Was a gift to the Razorback nation

On Arkansas Coaches - I didn’t want Coach Bret - I really think a Coach Morris is what we needed after Coach BObby - bI blame that on Jeff Long

Still coach Brett grew on me and I was all on board - Coach Brett is a very good coach he just was the wrong fit fir his talents at Arkansas

HDN - loved him at first - hoped he would develop and learn to manage a program

He never learned to mange a program nor develop a methods to evaluate talent

To be successful at Arkansas you have to learn to evaluate talent and develop it

But to HDN credit - there are few Game day motivational coach’s as HDN

Coach Morris looks to be exactly what Arkansas needs - sadly he is having to transition from a talent pool that was built fir sonthjngbtoakt opposite to his system and scheme (two more years of pain)

Next Coach Morris inherits s fan base that is exhausted and tired of unfulfilled promises - he walks into a situation where there just isn’t much grace or patience for effort - results drives the train and Ciach Morris doesn’t have many tools to work with

If Coach Morrus gets 6 wins and a bowl game I suspect he will become a JFB like figure with Ark vs Bama becoming what Ark vs Texas once was

Don’t laugh - that’s what I’m hoping for

I agree with your comment below - Arkansas fans are worn out with mediocre to bad football. Tired of empty promises, catch phrases, excuse making, etc.

Just quit talking and produce. Unfortunately, Morris is having to pay for the sins of the past and due to years of frustration won’t have the same grace period other coaches have enjoyed from the fanbase.

“Next Coach Morris inherits s fan base that is exhausted and tired of unfulfilled promises - he walks into a situation where there just isn’t much grace or patience for effort - results drives the train and Ciach Morris doesn’t have many tools to work with.”

Spot on Jackson

Fan base is worn out

Funny on Bo’s show today Danny Sheridan was talking about how great the Arkansas fan base is!?

I think something has been lost

It’s hard to be proud of a program that looks like Arkansas has bug I can say

“thank God for UTenn”

Watching them makes me feel better

But watch MSU and I know Ark has done less with more conspired to MSU

quote=JacksonReid post_id=127066 time=1526382506 user_id=750]

I agree with your comment below - Arkansas fans are worn out with mediocre to bad football. Tired of empty promises, catch phrases, excuse making, etc.

Just quit talking and produce. Unfortunately, Morris is having to pay for the sins of the past and due to years of frustration won’t have the same grace period other coaches have enjoyed from the fanbase.

“Next Coach Morris inherits s fan base that is exhausted and tired of unfulfilled promises - he walks into a situation where there just isn’t much grace or patience for effort - results drives the train and Ciach Morris doesn’t have many tools to work with.”

[/quote]

What I am still baffled by is the fact that we hired a coach who’s system and offensive personnel needs are completely different to the players that we have. That is why I feel it was suspect and almost a forced hire. Why would you completely blow your program up, and make it a 3-5 year experiment? It made zero sense. Especially with a coach who has a losing record.

I am asking this honestly - could this university REALLY not get someone that had more credentials??? Did everyone say no???

History shows that this system only works if you have amazing talent. And, history shows this system does not sustain in the SEC. Look at Gus at Auburn. He wins games and people still talk about him being fired. So now, if we win 5-6 games next season, we are supposed to say “hooray! we’ve got a winner!”??? Unless they have set the bar so low for this coach, that 7 wins a year is ok??? I surely hope not. I have no illusions of 10 win seasons, but this is not the way forward for us. It is only a band aid and a stop gap until we have to fire the guy, and start all over agin.

Still a one trick pony hijacking threads to beat that same old dead horse opinion…troll. :roll:

You’ll get over it Modo…or not. Don’t really care.

Have you come up with any thoughts other than “you hate Chad Morris and his offense?” Any comments about basketball, baseball, Coach Chavis, anything “not negative” at all? Try posting more than “I hate Chad and his offense.” It will give you some sorely needed credibility which is zero on this board at the moment. JMVVVVVVHO

I have already said that I think the defense would be improved, based on the DC and returning personnel. Remember, offense wasn’t the problem last season. It was the D.

I don’t hate CM and his offense. Never said anything like that. I just think that he’s way over his head, and this job is much bigger than his experience level, and the level of many of the assistants. But, what was he supposed to do? Turn the job down? It is a big jump from SMU to the SEC West.

I have been in approval with all the other hires until this one. Well, except Joe Kines. Just because I don’t support the coach, doesn’t mean I don’t support the Hogs. I want to see CM back up all that talk and social media propaganda that he’s put out. You’ll see all the credit in the world passed to him when the recruiting, wins, and overall program picks up. But he’s got a 3 year free pass, so it does not matter.

Basketball? We’ve already talked about that. I am hopeful about the new season, but MA needs to do a much better job in the post season. Otherwise it will be another coach we gotta pay off.

Not totally troll-like. A small step in a new direction for you. Keep it up. :smiley:

Petrino proved this type of system can win here. He never had a top ten recruiting class.