Khalil Garland

Twitter has a lot of highlights of pickup basketball being played over the weekend in Little Rock with Garland and Henderson participating. Damn, Garland looks good! He looks better than I saw him as a high school senior. I do hope for his sake, and Arkansas’s sake, he gets cleared soon. He has game!

Also, this is pickup ball, but it was still good to see Henderson connect on midrange jumpers.

He’s considered a redshirt freshman correct?

yes

I cannot quite understand why he cannot play right now for the Hogs, especially if he were to sign some sort of liability waiver. If his playing serious pickup games he’s obviously stressing his heart now.

He can do whatever he wants on his own time, but that has nothing to do with whether the university wants to take a risk of him having a major medical incident while playing or practicing for the basketball team. It also does not mean that all the doctors involved agree on Garland’s prognosis and risks going forward.

It’s a legal and a moral issue for the university.

Any waiver agreement is only going to be as binding as a Court says it is, no matter how well drafted. You can never completely eliminate the legal risk for liability. There is also the fact that if Garland were to have an incident, it would be a potential PR nightmare for the university even if there was never any litigation or the university won the litigation.

The moral issue is pretty simple. If there is even a small known risk of death to Garland, should the university go along with him taking that risk to benefit the university? The situation at Maryland with the football player dying, although very different factually, has to be on the mind of the decision makers at UA.

He can say anything he wants and play any time he wants - except for any official Arkansas event.

I agree with the UA’s decision 100 percent.

If they were to allow it to happen without medical clearance - and let’s be clear he does not have that for a very legitimate reason - and something happened, it would a horrible event and one the school would be responsible for under the law.

It is a clear cut thing. There is truly no legit debate.

I can tell you for sure that my son would not be taking the court if the situation were the same.

I wish the young man well and look forward to him playing one day, but not as it stands right now

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

He can say anything he wants and play any time he wants - except for any official Arkansas event.

I agree with the UA’s decision 100 percent…

I can tell you for sure that my son would not be taking the court if the situation were the same.

[/quote]That’s a parent’s view. But, seems to me an unfair thing to the young man…who is an adult. I understand the liability issues quite well; I just think there should be a way to move beyond them. It just seems to me that folks ought to be able to pursue their dreams. (Does this mean that folks should not go to Mars…because they could not return?)

[quote=“daBoar”]

Man, I would love to pursue a dream of playing in the NBA but I have a medical issue–I’m 5-10 with bad knees and feet and have a vertical of maybe 3 inches. Sometimes our dreams have to be tempered by reality. Unfortunately, for the young man, he has a heart condition. As much as all of us would like to see him play, it is best for him as an indvidual and for him as part of the family to stay on the sidelines. It’s like Ken Mattingly who was supposed to pilot Apollo 13 but a case of measles in his family was enough to keep him from going. Mattingly never got the measles, but it was for the greater good that he didn’t go.

He must be making some sort of progress as he is still on scholarship.

I would be suprised if he was kept on scholarship throughout next season but rather his education paid for by Medical Hardship.

I suspect the same. That he’ll be given through the end of this season in hopes of the issue getting corrected and then be moved on to medical hardship if it is not.

Nothing has changed.

I suppose some college might take a chance, but I don’t really see that being a probability.

If its a longshot that he is ever cleared Mcbride needs to be offered a spot then. If by miracle he get’s cleared, work it out later.

Unless Garland can secure some kind of medical hardship with his scholarship, we don’t have a scholarship to offer anybody else.

I don’t think you want to put Khalil on medical scholarship by signing day anyway. What if he gets cleared? I believe it’s been said, once he’s put on medical, his career is over. Ending his career before every possibility is exhausted would be a mistake in my opinion. Remember early signing period is in Nov. What if Garland is cleared over Christmas break?

RD or DD can correct me on this, but Mike remains
in contact with the McBride family and he is very much on their list. It will be all resolved by November.

Yes, they’ve stayed in contact.

But let’s be real honest about one thing - these team has a lot of guards and will have a lot of guards.

If Gafford goes as expected, you have got to have a legit replacement for him that can come in and play right away.

I don’t think Ibi Ali is that person.

I’m always dumbfounded that people think that Arkansas does not remain in contact with uncommitted in-state prospects even if they have not offered.

That would be foolish not to be,

The number one focus MUST ALWAYS REMAIN the health of the young man, not the health of the basketball team.

I think the subtext of some people is pretty clear, even if they won’t admit it to themselves. They want him to play no matter what, and if he becomes another Hank Gathers, too bad.

Just wow.

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

I think the subtext of some people is pretty clear, even if they won’t admit it to themselves. They want him to play no matter what, and if he becomes another Hank Gathers, too bad.

[/quote]That’s plumb silly. If Khalil wants to play, understanding the risks, he should have that chance; if not at Arkansas somewhere else.