Khalia Hackett #27 made a critical play..........

…to help win the game. When Skipper blocked the late field goal it was a third down kick. Hackett barely beat several TCU players to recover that blocked kick. If he doesn’t beat them to the ball, they would have gotten to kick again. Could have been a very different outcome without that play.

I could be wrong on the rule, but I think, unless we touched it first (since it went past the line scrimmage), it is not a live ball. Now, once we touched it (which we did) it was a live ball so it is a good thing we covered it up after touching it. I can’t remember the rule for sure as to if the ball had stayed behind the LOS, I THINK it wouldn’t matter if we touched it or not, it would have just been our ball, but can’t recall.

I am old enough to remember the Dallas Cowboy ice game where the other team (Miami?) kicked a field goal, it was blocked, but went down the field. If the Cowboys had left it alone, it was going to be a dead ball. Game over. Instead, Lett tried to grab in about 30 yards down field, Miami recovered it, had time for one more play, kicked it again, and won. But again, the issue was the defense touching the ball after it had been blocked. The actual blocking doesn’t count as a touch.

Pretty sure that is the rule. Not 100%.

I don’t think you are allowed to kick it again. If the snap is muffed and the kicker never touches the ball with his foot, then you can try again, but once the ball is kicked I don’t think you get another chance.

Pretty sure it was Dre Greenlaw that recovered the kick, #23

I ran the replay over and over and it looked like 27 but I can’t say that for sure.

Here is one sites answer:

Question: If the offense kicks a field goal on third down and miss do they get another chance on fourth down?

Answer: Usually not. However, if the ball doesn’t cross the line of scrimmage when kicked (for example, it gets blocked) and the offence recovers the ball, it is 4th down at that spot and they may kick again if they wish.

So, it seems like if it goes past the line of scrimmage the offense can’t recover it until the defense touches it. So if Khalia or Drew or whoever fell on it let it get away and TCU recovers it, then they have possession?!?!? I guess.

Only way the kicking team can retain possession is if the ball doesn’t cross the neutral zone (which in this case it did) or if the receiving team touches it after being blocked. Was always taught to get away from it if blocked at the line of scrimmage, go for it if blocked at the foot of the kicker. Dre Greenlaw (I’m now certain that’s who recovered it after watching replay from arkansasrazorbacks.com) would’ve been in a heap of trouble had he not actually recovered it after touching.

I see where I went wrong. If the ball is behind the LOS, and its 4th down on the kick (which it USUALLY is on a kick, but not in this case), then if the offense covers it, they can’t kick again, because the ball goes over on downs. But if it was 3rd down, they have the ball still and can kick again. Hmmm. Since it went past the LOS, it was a dead ball UNTIL we touched it (which we did). If we had not recovered it after touching it (not the block itself I don’t think, but the effort to recover it), then TCU gets another shot.

OR, since the block was on our side of the LOS, does that count as “touching” and it is a live ball? If so, the OP was VERY correct.

NCAA rulebook states that 3-yards on either side of the line of scrimmage is considered the neutral zone, and blocks made in the neutral zone are not deemed a “touch” by the defense. Hence, the defense should never attempt to recover a kick that’s blocked at the line…unless they know with absolute certainty there is nobody from the kicking team anywhere close.

Nope. The ball went past the line of scrimmage after Skipper blocked it. Once it does that, it’s just like a punt that is tipped but goes past the line of scrimmage; TCU could down it but not recover it. However, you would be counting on Marc Curles and Co. (and the replay morons) to make the right call, so that is a concern… I’m not sure about the 3-yard neutral zone Greg mentions; I will have to research that further tonight.

Personally, I was hoping that Hackett would return it for a touchdown and we wouldn’t have to play overtime.

OK, I looked up the rule. If the kicked ball crosses the neutral zone, blocked or unblocked, it becomes the property of the team that did not kick it; there is a change of possession at that point (he picked it up at the 10.5; the LOS was the 11). The neutral zone, though, is only the length of the ball on the line of scrimmage, not three yards (as in “neutral zone infraction” for an offsides call).

However, I realized that Greenlaw (not Hackett; I went back and looked at the video) may not have made such a good play. If he touches it beyond the neutral zone but does not secure it, then it is a live ball which TCU could have recovered. Remember the Leon Lett play for the Cowboys in the snow against Miami in 1993? That’s exactly what happened. Miami tried a field goal, which was blocked, and Lett touched it beyond the neutral zone, which allowed Miami to kick the winning field goal. If Dre bobbles the ball, TCU can recover and try the field goal again.

Per the NCAA rulebook, in this case, the 3-yards beyond the line of scrimmage are considered to be the neutral zone. This makes sense when you factor that there is a rule restricting a defender from leaping over the deep snapper. So Sprinkle or Liddel jumping behind Skipper could have blocked the kick and it not be considered a touch, thereby giving TCU the opportunity to recover.

SECTION 3. Scrimmage Kicks
Behind the Neutral Zone
ARTICLE 1. a. A scrimmage kick that fails to cross the neutral zone continues in play. All players may catch or recover the ball behind the neutral zone and advance it (A.R. 6-3-1-I-III).
b. The blocking of a scrimmage kick by an opponent of the kicking team
who is not more than three yards beyond the neutral zone is considered to have occurred within or behind that zone (Rule 2-11-5).

http://amarefs.org/FR16.pdf