Ken Burns' Epic Country Music Special on PBS

What passes for TV entertainment these day is pathetic, but this 7 part show on Country Music is superb. I am not a real fan of country, but it is just amazing that I knew so much about the people in this series. From Hank Williams, Patsy Cline(my favorite), Johnny Cash, George Jones, Dolly Parton, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Vince Gill, George Strait and Marty Stuart and the many, many stars and talents profiled in this fantastic series. 7 Parts and 2 hours each…it is long, but so fantastic. It is on PBS. You start watching and 2 hours is gone by in a flash.

It is so good I am going to add to my music collection by getting some Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard…probably some George Strait. I always liked Patsy Cline and George Jones. George bought 24 cars in one year and Minnie Pearl was actually a Nashville well-to-do socialite who played the character of Minnie Pearl.

Check it out, even if you aren’t a fan. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

I’ve watched three of the episodes and part of a fourth. It is like everything else I have seen from Ken Burns: top notch and informative. I grew up listening to old country music and still listen to it, so it was a lot of fun listening to the stories.

I love documentaries (I have a degree in documentary filmmaking) and they are about all that I watch. Between this Ken Burns series and all of the 150-year college football documentaries I don’t have to look for anything new for a while.

I watched all of the shows. Outstanding. Anything Ken Burns is always very good. Proud to say a lot of Stars are from Arkansas.

Ken Burns is brilliant. Like you, I’ve never been a big country music fan even though I’ve come to like more of it as I’ve gotten older. I still don’t care for the really old, really twangy sound some of those people had, but the history of the culture is about as important as the music itself. This series, like all the other Burns series, provide some of the best history there is. It was a great series. Loved it all. Glad so much of it was devoted to Johnny Cash. The more I know about him, the more I appreciate him. A true legend.

I’ve watched the first seven episodes and have yet to watch the eighth. It has been well done and fascinating. I may have to add to my music library.

Can you imagine a Ken Burns documentary these days without Peter Coyote narrating it? He adds a lot to them, IMO.

I agree. I met Peter Coyote in grad school. He showed up at the University of Arkansas one day and wanted to meet documentary students. I thought it was interesting to hear him talk about the freedom he has to tweak scripts that come over from Ken Burns, especially in light of hearing Burns talk about the construction and timing of his scripts and how each word is measured against the music chosen for a scene. It was pretty clear there is a great working relationship there, which is obvious by how many projects on which they have collaborated.

1 Like

Some of the early Ken Burns documentaries had equally impressive narrators. David McCullough (the Pulitzer Prize winning author) narrated The Civil War and the late John Chancellor (the NBC newsman) narrated Baseball.

It’s great, was sad when it was over.

You should also watch Vietnam, you will learn a lot from that one too.

Love it. Stumbled on to it the other night. Grew up listening to those folks on The Opera. WSM came in fine at night. It is all about folks like us.

That was amazing!

I used to regularly play golf with Wimp Sanderson when he lived in LR. A really funny guy. He told me about one kid who played for him “who lived so far back in the woods they didn’t get the Grand Ol’ Opry til Tuesday night.”. He had other great sayings, but that one always struck me as funny.