Just one question on CCM, his system to be and his system this year

I think I understand that his “system” is no-huddle, up-tempo, fast, fast, fast. I was at the game yesterday and forgot to set it to record, so I haven’t re-watched it. Thus I may be exaggerating a bit on what I saw yesterday. It seemed that after every offensive down, we substituted at least one offensive player. This slows the game down because it allows Vandy to also run in subs. I noticed that the ref was standing behind our center, seemingly every offensive play, making sure Vandy was allowed time to sub if they desired. Doesn’t this run counter to his offensive philosophy?

I noticed he did that last week against Tulsa, but I attributed that to Noland being the QB. It made sense to me because Noland was making his first start. Yesterday, he had Ty at QB. Is there some logical reason why he, or Craddock, are subbing offensive players virtually every down, allowing the defense to do the same?

This is not an attempt to blast Morris. I don’t want him fired. I want him to succeed. It is just a question about his “current” offensive system that is a bit baffling to me. There may be some perfectly explainable reason why he’s doing that now.

Can’t go fast until you have the pieces to make it go fast. They clearly don’t feel they are prepared for that.

Hell the receivers don’t even know how to line up, so you can’t expect them to do it right when they line it up.

If we get KB we will go fast.

KB is gonna make the receivers know how to line up?

The receivers - the four new ones and the holdovers - and the QB - be it TS, KB, CN or KJ - will be able to go faster next year.

Until they are best at doing this, however, it’s not conducive to run what they want to.

Go to Watch ESPN and check out some old SMU games or even Clemson ones.

That is the model when it comes time.

I’m sure it will help, actually. He will know the offense much more than anyone of the team currently and will catch mistakes.

So yes, in a way.

Mainly just the added off season and experience in the off season will help.

Pretty sure that will help for whoever is the qb next year, don’t you?

Of course it would, but it won’t allow the qb to magically find the talent necessary to impact games in a big way. That’s not something an off season will give you.

Also, even with an added off season, they still won’t know the offense like someone who has been in it for 4 years. Chad said we only had 30% installed currently.

None of these responses actually answer my question, which is why does CCM substitute after every offensive play, thus allowing the defense to substitute also? Players not knowing the plays, how to line-up for plays, etc. have nothing to do with the question. The plays are called in from the sideline. He’s not sending any plays in with the subs. Wouldn’t it be good for our offense to not allow the defense to substitute after they see our substitutions on every offensive down? Especially when the plays are called from the sideline with cards? Does every offensive play we call require a different set of skill players be on the field?

[quote=“HarleyHawgidson”]

None of these responses actually answer my question, which is why does CCM substitute after every offensive play, thus allowing the defense to substitute also? Players not knowing the plays, how to line-up for plays, etc. have nothing to do with the question. The plays are called in from the sideline. He’s not sending any plays in with the subs. Wouldn’t it be good for our offense to not allow the defense to substitute after they see our substitutions on every offensive down? Especially when the plays are called from the sideline with cards? Does every offensive play we call require a different set of skill players be on the field?

[/quote]I can’t give you an answer with any certainty, but it may be that certain skill players are capable of doing some things but not others. For instance, I would say depending on what is going to be run, Boyd might be the better back on third-and-short than Hayden, so if Hayden has been in the game, Boyd might sub. Same with wideouts on short-yardage plays than first-and-10. Just a thought.

[quote=“SoArkHog”]

Thanks for the response. And, yes I would agree that this could be part of his reasoning. However, if he becomes repetitive with that, it wouldn’t take many games tapes for SEC DCs to be able to stop the play called, especially since they can sub after they see who we subbed in. It just seems to me that he would occasionally want to take advantage of the substitution rule that lets him control when and if the defense can substitute. Every other “no huddle” team I’ve watched seem to take advantage of that a lot. I’ve certainly watch no huddle teams wear our defense players out these last few years.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll see that next year after another spring and fall of installing his offense…

[quote=“HarleyHawgidson”]

[quote=“SoArkHog”]

Thanks for the response. And, yes I would agree that this could be part of his reasoning. However, if he becomes repetitive with that, it wouldn’t take many games tapes for SEC DCs to be able to stop the play called, especially since they can sub after they see who we subbed in. It just seems to me that he would occasionally want to take advantage of the substitution rule that lets him control when and if the defense can substitute. Every other “no huddle” team I’ve watched seem to take advantage of that a lot. I’ve certainly watch no huddle teams wear our defense players out these last few years.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll see that next year after another spring and fall of installing his offense…

[/quote]I agree. I think after he gets more versatile players who can play every down and their backups can play every down, then he won’t be tipping any hands when he subs and will be more able to play at break-neck speed. Just a thought.

Dudley I would say go watch Clemson. There was a full roster there…and that’s the program CM likes to point to as where he wants to get the UA. SMU had no TE’s on their roster when he arrived…took over the June Jones roster. I suspect TE will play a major role.

Look at Clemson and look ay Auburn! Gus was the offensive mentor.