Vanover
Devo

WIthout Joe:
Jones
Moody
Devo
Vanover
Desi

Hard picking that third guard. Could Chaney wake up and take over the 4 or take over the 5 and let Vanover play the 4?

I will say that the players coming back are going to have to compete hard for playing time. Moody, KK and Devo are going to come in a try and take someones spot. I think Williams will most likely come off the bench but if Chaney doesn’t start coming on Williams may take his minutes.

With Joe:

Moody
Joe
Jones
Williams (I think Williams will start at the four and when Vanover gets tired he will switch over to the 5 and stretch the floor with Chaney down low)
Vanover

Without Joe:

KK (I think he’s just a little better than Devo)
Moody
Jones
Williams
Vanover

1 Like

I wince every year when you guys start projecting starting lineups. Not once have those lineup come to fruition. Sine weird stuff always happens when you start projecting lineups based on commitments.

I am holding my breath until Moody, KK and Williams actually sign. Man, five months is too freaking long to wait. Why did these three commit but not sign early! Stressful.

I said “just for fun”. I can’t believe little ole me would cause the recruiting class to fall apart by me posting my just for fun line up projection.

2 Likes

I see a lineup of 3 very good mid-size players in Joe, Jones and Moody. Playing with them I see a 14 foot 1 inch Big with skill, 3 point range and 10 fouls to give. Just call this guy Jaylin Vannover. I see a guy named KK Notae playing the point. KN’s legs will stay fresh and he too will have 10 fouls to give.Desi Sills will infuse some energy and toughness into this lineup coming off the bench. Davonta Davis will also get quality minutes subbing for all three mid size guys and will start if Joe goes pro.

Oh, you know I love reading your posts. Okay, I will play along. My projected starting lineup is

Chaney
Joe
Jones
Moody
Notae

I see both Vanover and Williams coming off the bench. It may change towards the end of the season.

If Joe goes pro, Williams will start.

1 Like

Since you are projecting Vanover In the starting lineup, it does bring up a question. We have now seen that Coach Muss’s preferred defense is man-to-man pressure defense.

I don’t think Vanover has the foot speed to play that defense. Wondering what Muss will do next year if Vanover is on the floor.

Anybody know what type of defense Cal played last year with Vanover on the floor.

Is everyone that sure Notae is an upgrade?

Notae is a good player. Don’t know if he will replace Jones or Joe (or should I say take their spot). Also don’t see him starting over Moody or Walker.

We are playing halfcourt man. I do not think Muss will press or speed the pace when Vanover is on the floor, especially since he is not doing it without him.

Nobody has even mentioned our other kid redshirting…Iyiola. Granted in the very small sample I saw him in I didn’t see a different maker.

Notae on the other hand was more impressive to me. He looks like a plus defender with a good all around offensive game. Excited to see what a year off does for him but I expect him to be a major contributer next year.

I don’t know when KK will be a starter, but I’d almost bet he’ll be starting before the SEC schedule starts. IMO, he’ll be getting considerable minutes from the get-go. I think I see a touch of (dare I say) Mayberry in him.

I did not mention anything about press. I don’t think we will see press unless they are totally out of the game. Don’t know if they even practice press.

I was referring to playing man-to-man in the half court. Do you think they will play that with Vanover? Does he have the foot speed to play the intense man to man that Bailey is playing now? You followed him at Cal. What did they play at Cal?

Don’t know who you were responding to. I had all three Jones, Joe and Notae in the lineup.

In your lineup with Joe, who plays the point?

I was responding to Swine asking about Notae.

In my lineup with Joe, I think Joe, Jones, or Moody can handle the ball (PG by committee). Watching JWill’s game last night I think if you had to, he also could bring the ball up. If a guard tried to attack him, he could just throw over top to one of the guards.

I also think he (JWill) plays with Vanover for the reason you’re concerned about Vanover. His size, length, and skill set at the four will allow Connor a couple xtra seconds to get set up defensively.

If Walker shocks us and shows up, I think the starting five will be Joe, Jones, Moody, Walker, and Williams, but that completely depends on Walker

Yes, it is the only D Muss has shown. Vanover will never play as fast as Bailey.

Cal played man & some zone. Muss has said he will not play zone, so I don’t expect him to back off from that. But, per your concerns, perhaps he will entertain the idea if Vanover proves to be a liability. He will be an upgrade as a rim protector though, IMO.

Yeah, Vanover will fit well in a high low offense with another big in the post. It spreads the opposition bigs on D, and puts Vanover up top to protect the backcourt against transition.