Jordan Spieth wins the Texas Open

He has been knocking on the door for several weeks and finally kicked the door in. What a great win for him and for golf.

He is the all-American boy…the Jack Armstrong of professional golf.

Way to go, Jordan.

1 Like

Well, he’s not a complete paragon of virtue. He’s a Longhorn.

I like his shot at Augusta this week.

1 Like

I agree, he plays Augusta well if he is playing well and that seems to be case .

I’ve been pulling for him during the past two years, he’s struggled mightily after the initial year’s great success. I’m glad he was able to hang in there and to verify that he’s still one to reckon with.

Rae’screek will do him in.

Longhorns in general make me want to puke. But somehow Jordan has earned my respect and I rooted for him today.

Since he only played there one year (and declared he was gonna turn pro before one year was up) I count him as just a pseudo Longhorn. Had to disappoint them leaving so fast. So I do not mind him doing well.

He is a great putter. That’s the key at Augusta.

It is amazingly difficult to go through a victory celebration tonight and do all the interviews he’s gonna be stuck with and be fresh this week at Augusta.

He will be a favorite. I figure the man to beat is Justin Thomas.

1 Like

That is a bit of a myth.

This article is a bit dated, but the idea that you must be a great putter to win The Masters has been debunked for awhile now. Don’t get me wrong, you are not going to win The Masters without putting well, but being a great putter coming into the tournament isn’t nearly the most important skill. Otherwise no way Sergio wins a few years back.

And another that accentuates the point. It is about GIR.

Tiger is the greatest iron player ever. Hence his great record at Augusta.

And why Rory continues to struggle. His iron play is a mess. He just cannot get it close.

The one player I will root against at Augusta is Patrick Reed. I have zero respect for him.

2 Likes

I will have to agree with Clay on this. It will be extremely difficult for Jordan to play at Augusta this week with the focus and intensity needed to win, given his victory.

I am also a big Justin Thomas fan…even though he is a former Crimson Tide player and a devoted Alabama fan. Justin is the best player in the world were it not for Dustin Johnson. Justin is such a superb iron player with that controlled fade. He is long enough to tame Augusta…he just needs to putt well.

I love Masters week.

Debunked? No, you are not going to win unless you putt well. Having a great track record as a putter is not so much the deal. Putting well that week is the deal. There are plenty of guys who have had one week of great putters. Sergio did putt well that week. Why a bad putter like Sergio – or Adam Scott – suddenly putts well for one week is a guess.

I’d rather know a guy can putt rather than guess that he can putt that one week.

But as far as picking someone off of form, I’ll go with the great putters like Jack and Tiger first. Tom Watson wasn’t a great putter early in his career, but he sure was when he was winning majors.

The key is to avoid three putts at Augusta National. The first way to do that is with great ball striking – to keep the ball below the hole.

Now, one thing that has happened is that the greens have become easier to putt. They are more consistent since adding the sub air system.

That same sub air system has allowed the tournament committee (members) to decide to water the greens since they can still control the hardness, by pulling moisture out of the greens. That allows for consistent speed and believe it or not, that helps the bad putters. The great ones can figure out when one green is a different speed and adjust. The poor putters scratch their heads.

Ben Crenshaw was the best in the world at adjusting to speed of the greens when one was fast and one was slow. And that happens a lot at Augusta (if they don’t use the sub air system). Some greens drain better than others. And there are some with huge humps (14) and they are terribly inconsistent on speed because those humps tend to dry out quickly because they are exposed to the wind. The sub air system changed that.

There is no data that can disprove my own eyes that the winner must putt well. They don’t have shot link for the Masters so there is NO data that gives you shots saved around the green.

But what I see with my own eyes are the men saving par (and that can be with a two-putt after hitting the green) are putting well that week.

I know Sergio won at Augusta. I wouldn’t avoid betting on him because of his inconsistent putting. When he started closing his eyes to putt, I discounted his ability to contend at a major. That’s a give up move. I don’t count winning against a weak field in Mississippi. He might win this week, but I wouldn’t pick him ever at Augusta because of his putting.

Pretty sure I said that.

But it’s not the key to winning the masters. I mean, it’s been proven

What else do you want?

*The course is famous for its slick, undulating greens, which might suggest that it rewards putting skill. But going back to 2004 again, only three of the past 13 Masters winners have ranked among the top 10 in putting strokes gained during the year they donned the green jacket — and two of those players (Spieth and Tiger Woods) were equally elite according to strokes gained: tee-to-green. Meanwhile, six of the 13 winners were actually below-average putters according to strokes gained. (Strokes gained measures everything relative to average, so negative totals mean a player was below-average.)

On the other hand, eight of the 13 winners ranked among the top 10 in strokes gained: tee-to-green, and all 13 winners were above-average tee-to-green players in the seasons they won.*

1 Like

And FYI they do not have shotlink, but they do have TRACK and have for awhile now.

For those who care or are curious.

You are sort of jaded. Full of poop.

Sorry.

To win there, you gotta putt well. I look at the great putters first.

You do what you want.

The article you posted says they don’t have putting stats.

Have a good day.

Purring matters. It matters there. Watch it with your eyes.

It matters more than anything in golf.

If you don’t putt well there, you will not win.

Hit it good and putt badly there and you won’t win.

1 Like

Called my brother, an Augusta caddie.

He said to discount stats. They do not take into account how difficult it is to make a 4-foot putt with 14 inches of break. It may not show on stats that it was difficult to 2-putt from 15 feet, but it is. Only someone putting well wins.

I’m done here. I do not change my view.

1 Like

If you want to see what is wrong with America, see the quoted post below.

When presented with actual, tangible evidence to the contrary, the opposing side runs away with an unwillingness to admit that their preconceived notion is wrong.

I have presented data showing that this is in fact incorrect. You do not have to be a great putter to win at Augusta.

But since you don’t agree, how about ANOTHER article. This one from Golf Digest, from 2018, interestingly enough talking about Spieth’s chance.

Reviewing the last 12 Masters, one thing became abundantly clear: Since the course was lengthened in 2006, stout putting has not been a requisite for success.

Here are the those 12 Masters winners, followed by their output and rank in strokes gained/putting for that season.

2017: Sergio Garcia— negative-.356 (168th)

2016: Danny Willett—.172 (61st*)

2015: Jordan Spieth—.571 (9th)

2014: Bubba Watson— negative-.050 (109th)

2013: Adam Scott— negative-.027 (108th)

2012: Bubba Watson— negative-.280 (160th)

2011: Charl Schwartzel—.052 SG (96th)

2010: Phil Mickelson— negative-.149 (133rd)

2009: Angel Cabrera—.181 (63rd)

2008: Trevor Immelman— negative-.675 (191st)

2007: Zach Johnson—.659 (5th)

2006: Phil Mickelson—.268 (40th)

Willett only logged nine tour events in 2016, thus failing to qualify for official ranking.

Forget formidable; seven of the last 10 winners have been unequivocally bad putters, with only two from this 12-year window—Spieth and Zach Johnson—considered strong in the years of their Masters victories. And though we’re not dismissing Johnson’s 2007 win, it is something of an outlier, with brutal winds leading to British Open-like conditions (Johnson’s one-over 289 is the highest winning score in Masters history).

So why the disconnection between axiom and actuality? As a few have attested, Augusta National’s greens are so severe that it curbs the facility of good putters. The putting surfaces’ subtly and extremes—while fast in parts, going uphill and against the grain can be surprisingly slow at Augusta—create a defensive mindset. Speaking on the subject in 2013, Johnson said putts aren’t necessarily made but lagged, while Mickelson has remarked he tries to “float” the ball towards the hole.

Which puts all the more onus on the approach game, as lagging is a heck of a lot easier from 20 feet from the hole than 30. Reviewing the same 12 winners, there appears to be more of a connection between strokes gained/tee-to-green performance and fruition at Augusta National:

2017: Sergio Garcia—1.25 (12th)

2016: Danny Willett—.827 (25th)

2015: Jordan Spieth—1.583 (4th)

2014: Bubba Watson— 1.402 (7th)

2013: Adam Scott—1.337 (5th)

2012: Bubba Watson— 1.809 (3rd)

2011: Charl Schwartzel—.898 (19th)

2010: Phil Mickelson—1.151 (5th)

2009: Angel Cabrera—.372 (63rd)

2008: Trevor Immelman—.670 (31st)

2007: Zach Johnson—.415 (60th)

2006: Phil Mickelson—1.688 (4th)

Music to the ears of Spieth, as he enters this week’s Houston Open ranked ninth in this category.

This is not to say a player can survive a bevy of three-jacks at Augusta National, and it’s hard to account the havoc such woes can wreak on the psyche or other parts of the game. But while Spieth’s flat stick is a concern, as recent history has illustrated, it won’t keep him from contending for a second green jacket.

1 Like

I’m done with you. Sorry.

1 Like

“Lesson not only about karate. Lesson about whole life. Whole life have balance, everything is better.”

Interesting. What one thinks is wrong with America is conveyed in a way that others think is also wrong with America. When confronted with a different opinion, one chooses not to accept it. But instead tries to change it.

I think the ability to have differing opinions is part of what makes this country great. This would be a terrible place without the balance of others’ ideas.

1 Like

Differing opinions is great. But differing truth isn’t. There is only one truth.