Joe Needs to Work on His Short Game

0-3 inside the three point line. Very strange as he was 5 of 6 behind the arc. Fortunately for the Hogs Chaney was 5 of 7 inside the arc…I like that.

He’s a freshman…give him time.

All the three shots inside the arc were forced off-balance shots created off the dribble, unlike the three pointers. Give him an open midrange shot, he will drain it.

he needs to work on penetrating and hitting midrange shots more IMO he pretty much a 3 pt specialst right now and a darn good one!! but would be lethal if he could blow by his guy for some layups.

Joe has time to add to his game. He can hit from any level so don’t get too worried. He does what needs to be done. Someone’s he is too unselfish. He needs to take shots he feels comfortable taking and he will drive to the hole when needed.

There is a thought by some that the mid range game has no place in todays game of basketball. Either take it all the way to the rim or shoot the three. I don’t agree but there is some good argument for it. See Golden State and Houston in the pros.

To me, a player with a good all game is where it’s at. For Joe, I agree that he should work on his mid range game. The better he is at mid range the more it will help him make more 3’s.

I’ve watched him play now for 6 years.

He was 5-6 from 3, 6-6 from the FT and 0-3 from 2 on Saturday

He is 38 of 77 (49.1 percent) from 3-point range and 12-of-25 from 2 so far this year.

How horrible, huh?

His mid-range game - while it can improve - is one of the tools in his tool box.

I’m always stunned about how people go looking for something “wrong” with a guy’s game, when it just might not be as strong as it is in another area.

Sign of the times.

[quote=“DudleyDawson”]

I’ve watched him play now for 6 years.

He was 5-6 from 3, 6-6 from the FT and 0-3 from 2 on Saturday

He is 38 of 77 (49.1 percent) from 3-point range and 12-of-25 from 2 so far this year.

How horrible, huh?

His mid-range game - while it can improve - is one of the tools in his tool box.

I’m always stunned about how people go looking for something “wrong” with a guy’s game, when it just might not be as strong as it is in another area.

Sign of the times.

[/quote]Ok, I’m sorry that sarcasm fails on this site. I used golf terms to highlight the anamoly of the results in the last game.

I would use one of those emoji things over there to the right like this one :smiley:

Both on message boards and social media it is hard to tell who is making a point, being a troll, etc.

Yup, IJ has great skills. He will just get better as he settles in!

This is so true… when Joe learns to fake the occasional three and drives around the defender his game will be so hard to contain.

Kid has been playing the game all his life. Can’t imagine that he doesn’t know how to fake, dribble and drive. :roll:

I have seen Joe give a head fake, take a dribble and drain the jumper several times this year. He had one in the second half Saturday to give Arkansas lead for good. UTSA coach complemented Isaiah on his fake, dribble and shot.

But I get what you are saying. The fakes we have seen so far is for a three point shot. You are wanting him to do that for separation for a mid range jumper or take defender to the hoop. We have not seen that as often. He did attempt that on Saturday, but threw up an off balance awkward shot.