Jimmy Whitt and his free throw shot

What was that? I have never seen anything like it. He drained 2 in the 2nd half with a technique that can only be described as bizarre. It looked like a 2 hand shove of a hand grenade. Get that thing away from me. At his age, you just let him go. He is a solid ballplayer, but certainly not a scorer. He makes Shaq look like James Harden.

1 Like

Whitt’s shooting form has been head scratching since we recruited him the 1st time. It works for and doesn’t affect his other qualities on the court.

He may not be a terrific scorer, but he kept Arkansas’ stagnant first-half offense afloat with eight straight points over a roughly four-minute stretch last night. That was big. Then he came up with three steals in the second half. He impacts the game in several ways.

I am not criticizing his play. We are glad to have him. He is an important part of this team. He is a good all-around player.

But, I have never seen a free throw technique like that since my high school days many years ago. A lot of the girls shot that 2 handed push shot from the line. Where did he learn that?

It’s definitely a different looking shot…3 for 4 so far.

Seems to me every player is taking more time at the line…a dribble or two, a deep breath,
and eyeing the hoop before taking the shot. Very deliberate, which is not how they did it
before…at least in my memory. :sunglasses:

You mean Arkansas players didn’t do it this way before in the Anderson era or these particular players on this team didn’t do it this way last year?

I’m a fitness guy, and it looks like he’s throwing a medicine ball. Strange. But 2 for 2.

It may look bad but as long as it goes through the net who cares.

Rick Barry could sure knock 'em down using the original… “Granny shot”! :see_no_evil:

He got it from the UA punter.

Jimmy’s Free throw stats are intriguing.

2015-16 38 out of 48 @79.2%

2017-18. 60 out of 101 @59.4%

2018-19 42 out of 74 @56.8%

Seems his free throw shooting got worse over the years. Let’s hope it was a SMU issue. :grinning:

Actually, those dates make it look like SMU “helped” him with his stroke. Instead, they totally messed him up. He had a quirky free throw shot at Arkansas, but he made most of them. Three years later his shot is even uglier and he makes a little over half of them.

Oh well, he’s very important to this team and I’m happy he’s here, ugly free throws and all.