JFB question

I’ve heard Frank is now in hospice care. Have no idea if it’s true. I thought something might be on this board if it were. Does anyone know?

I’ve known for a while he hasn’t been doing well & we all know when someone gets to be his age we could find out any day he’s no longer with us, but Frank Broyles has been an important part of my interest/life since I was old enough to remember. Can’t say enough about how important he’s been to the whole state, much less the UA & the Razorback athletic program.

We will all be orphans when this giant man leaves us.

I know he has taken a downturn lately.

This was posted somewhere else last week. I haven’t seen any confirmation or denial.

ust talked to a former player that had visited with one of Coach’s daughters.

He had 2 strokes last week and hospice has been brought in.

He is not expected to be with us much longer.

No question about it.

Yes.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/ark … es-hospice”>https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-frank-broyles-hospice</LINK_TEXT>

You nailed it on the orphan comment

Thanks Ricepig1 for that link. It explains everything.

Glad it’s not as bad as I’d heard, but my sentiments about the man remain the same and a stroke at his age isn’t a small matter. Regardless, I hope he does well for quite a bit longer. Scientific Rocket said it best. I think he spoke for all of us.

Frank Broyles IS Razorback football.There would be no Razorback football, as we know it, without him. He truly bleeds “razorback red” and always has had the highest interests of our program as his goal in everything he did. I am truly thankful to have grown up under coach Broyes and as a fan, learned my football principles from him. He will always be my hero. Thank you coach, for everything you have done for us. We love you and wish the very best for you and your family. Our prayers and thoughts are with y’all during these trying times. Go Hogs!

Hospice was brought in a couple of weeks back. He’s resting comfortably. Just as an FYI, there have been three other times in the last couple of years that Hospice has helped at the home. This follows a pattern of how the care went in the late years for his mother who lived a long time, just as Frank has done. I knew of Hospice entering the home but was asked by the family not to report it.

I’m glad you respected that request, Clay. (I’m not surprised that you would, but still glad you did.) I can also understand the family wanting to keep that private. Still, it’s hard for something like that to stay a secret. Frank has meant too much to Razorback fans for 60 years now for it to stay private once the word got out anywhere. Fortunately, I think almost 100% of want to know about his health out of genuine affection & concern for his well-being, not simply out of some morbid curiosity.

When I was a freshman in 1956, our motto was “Lose the game–Win the party!” First year was a struggle but the following we went to Gator Bowl and won. After that it was “Good Times.” A really class guy.

Yes, I understand that folks want to know. But the privacy of the family was my concern. It will continue to be my concern. I’ve followed his health for the last four or five years. I do have ways to know but I will let them announce things as they feel they need to. I figured the dinner Friday night of last week would spark more inquiries. It was a fund raiser for the Broyles Foundation. There would be people there that might find out some details. That was going to get out, but I still decided not to discuss it here or on the radio with Bo.

Thanks Clay for your concern for Coach Broyles and his family. Coach Broyles has been a hero of mine for well over 50 years. Without his leadership and passion the brand Razorback would not be as well known. He has represented our state with integrity and is an Arkansas Icon. Blessings and prayers for his family.

I think Coach Broyles is a hero to most of us here. Yes, he’s sure to have made some enemies through the years, but most Razorbacks are going to appreciate most of what he did and understand that he wasn’t perfect. He did it on a tight budget, probably too tight at times. He was operating with a staff that was going crazy trying to keep up because there wasn’t enough manpower to do all the things that were required. Jeff Long immediately had to expand staff. And, he had to raise ticket prices.

I remember talking to Coach Broyles about the rise in ticket prices after he left. He said that it was needed. He wanted to do it the year before he retired. He said the program had to have more funds to keep up and added the needed staff. He was proud of the fact he kept costs down but also knew that it was going to be a change soon, a needed change.

But he decided that if he was going to retire, to let the next man do it. He said he’d sleep better at night knowing he wasn’t the one who did it. That was tough on Jeff Long, but I probably would have done the same thing as Coach Broyles.

Tight? He lived in the depression. Everyone in that age group got used to doing without. They grew up cutting costs because they had to.

We all know JFB was a great salesman too, and could raise money with the best of them.

JFB is my top sports hero and there is no close 2nd.