Jeff Long addressed War Memorial future today

Long said he won’t have the final say on the games, but will make a recommendation. He hopes to have an answer by the end of this season to help with future scheduling. Here is more: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … ial-games/

The video from his interview is embedded in the story. A couple of other interesting notes:

• Long said he would like to see Missouri moved to the SEC West and that he has long thought the Tigers’ affiliation with the SEC East was a bad fit. He said he has conveyed that thought to the SEC commissioner and hopes Missouri would be moved to the SEC West over time.

• Arkansas won’t move forward on other renovations until the north end zone project is finished. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the next one will be Bud Walton Arena, likely a reduction in seating.

[quote=“MattJones”]

• Long said he would like to see Missouri moved to the SEC West and that he has long thought the Tigers’ affiliation with the SEC East was a bad fit. He said he has conveyed that thought to the SEC commissioner and hopes Missouri would be moved to the SEC West over time.
    [/quote]Which begs the question . . . what SEC West team would move over to the East to balance things? Or, would that happen when 2 teams are added - both to the East (with Mizzou leaving, adding a net of 1 team to both divisions)?

Auburn would seem to be the likely candidate, if not for it’s tied-to-the-hip relationship/rivalry with Alabama. The conference would have to go 9 SEC games, with two of them “fixed” so Bama could play Auburn and Tennessee every season.

I wonder if, in Alabama elementary schools, the solar system charts label the Sun “Alabama”, as all of the others just rotate around it.

:roll:

Auburn would be the most likely to move to the East if Missouri moves to the West.

If the SEC added two new teams, say OU and OSU, then both Alabama and Auburn could move to the East with Missouri going West.

Now I like that - alit!

Move both Bama and Auburn to the east!

That’s a winner

Adding Paper clip and little brother still makes a tough West slate

While I think it would be right for Auburn to go to the East and Missouri to the West, Alabama and Auburn will fight that because they don’t want to possibly play twice in two weeks with the season finale and the SEC Championship game.

But it is certainly out there more than it used to be.

Auburn won’t fight the idea. Its AD is the one championing it: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017 … s-missour/

Auburn wants to play Bama and Georgia ever year. They do now, and they would if they move to the east. So, I don’t see that being an issue. The domino effect would be the issue. Bama would lose Tennessee as its permanent if Auburn took that slot. Will the Bama and Vol alumni/heavy hitters scream and yell loud enough to prevent that switch.

But, they should switch. For geographical reasons long term. Short term, it would balance the divisions a little. Missouri has a good program. But not Auburn level.

[quote=“Hogmaestro”]
Auburn wants to play Bama and Georgia ever year. They do now, and they would if they move to the east. So, I don’t see that being an issue. The domino effect would be the issue. Bama would lose Tennessee as its permanent if Auburn took that slot. Will the Bama and Vol alumni/heavy hitters scream and yell loud enough to prevent that switch.

But, they should switch. For geographical reasons long term. Short term, it would balance the divisions a little. Missouri has a good program. But not Auburn level.
[/quote]I addressed this issue in my post above. If JUST Auburn moved to the East, then the long-term solution (which has it’s own pros/cons) is to move to 9 SEC games, with a model that had 2 games against teams from the other division each season (this would allow Bama to play Auburn and Tenn every year), with the third game rotating. On the other hand, if the solution is to add OU and OSU to the West, along with bringing Mizzou over to the West, while BOTH Bama and Auburn went to the East, there is no issue - as Bama would play Auburn and Tenn each year, and Auburn would play Georgia because all of those teams are (or would be) in the East.