I've been watching some old Hog video on YouTube

Games from the 1950s; the guy who calls himself WARMACHINE2013 has been coming up with a lot of black and white footage from that era and putting it up. Noticed a few interesting things:

In the 1954 Texas game at Austin, we wore red and they wore orange. Including orange helmets. But when we went back there in 1956, we wore white. It seems the requirement for white on the road (except in Baton Rouge) was a product of the early TV era when you really might not be able to tell the teams apart in various shades of gray (imagine an Arkansas-OU game in black and white if both wore red with red helmets). The '54 Ole Miss-Arkansas game in WMS was also both teams in dark unis. I’m still trying to figure out what color OM’s helmets were that day (red? gray?).

Second, the signal for touchdown was not two hands in the air. It was one arm extended horizontally, pointing across the goal line (I guess). Successful field goal/PAT was two hands in the air though.

Third, there were a LOT of turnovers. Seems like four or five turnovers per game was pretty standard.

The '54 Ole Miss game: [youtube]VNmI38OhTD0[/youtube]

By the time we went back to Austin in 1960, Texas was in the familiar white helmets and we had added the numbers on the sides. I recall one of our defensive linemen had apparently had his numbers rubbed or knocked off and his helmet looked really strange with just the plain (dark gray) red on the black and white video.

Also, that video from the '54 Texass game was in color and EOE was definitely not in the current cowpie orange. The school color (as opposed to the athletic color) is a bright orange and that’s what they wore that day. An EOE website says they used burnt orange in the 1920s, went to bright orange when they could no longer get the proper dye, then Royal brought back the cowpie orange in the 1960s.

Thanks for the video. first time I had seen those plays since 1954, my first game with my Dad, 6 yrs. old and a big Hog Fan ever since.

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I would assume WMS was on the outskirts of town back then?

I’ve been following Warmachine for a while. He usually has highlights of each hoop and football game up within 24 hours. Lately he’s digging into someone’s archives. I’d like to know where he’s getting this stuff. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen video of that Ole Miss game. You just see that one picture of Preston Carpenter making the catch.

The '54 Texass game:

[youtube]PGRzt_UrkyM[/youtube]

I’m not old enough to remember, but Hall High was built north and west of WMS three years later. From my reading of Little Rock history, what is today’s Hillcrest area (directly north of WMS) was built up as a suburb in the early 1900s and then was annexed into the city in 1916. Cammack Village, which is northwest of WMS, requested annexation in 1946 but the annexation election was thrown out and it remains a separate city today. So my guess is that WMS was toward the western edges of town but not on the outskirts.

The Hogs wore grey pants in the 50’s. It looked cool with the dark cardinal jerseys we used to wear.

We switched to white pants about the time Coach Broyles came, I believe. I think we wore grey during Jack Mitchell’s tenure, but I was a young kid then, about 6 so I just don’t really remember. War Memorial was just 2 sides…just like Fayetteville.

We used to go ride the rides at Fair Park before the game. The old scary lady in the glass case in front of the fun house is now in Mark Abernathy’s Loca Luna restaurant.

Whew…the passing games were UGLY. I bet those games lasted like 2.5 hours.

Without media timeouts, and without stopping the clock for first downs (that was added in my lifetime), probably closer to 2.

I’ve pointed out the part about the tradition of the white road jerseys being a by-product of the black and white TV era a few times over the years. Mostly in threads about the “new” trend of rivalry games being played where both teams wear their “home” jerseys (USC vs. UCLA is a prime example; us vs. Mizzou is another). One day back in the 70’s, someone walked in while I was watching a game on TV and asked me who was playing and where. I told him who was playing, and explained that the home team almost always wore the darker/colored jerseys while the road team was in white. He said “I wonder why?”, and it got me to thinking. To that point, I’d just accepted the convention and hadn’t really give the “why” a thought. But it didn’t take me too long to figure it out; it’s just common sense for someone like ourselves who grew up with B&W TV before color became ubiquitous (around 1970). But it wouldn’t be to someone under 50 who’s never known anything except color TV.

By the way, TV is also why I have always called our Broyles-era forward uniforms (i.e., solid red helmet with hog logo, solid red jersey and white pants with red stripes up the sides) our “Classic” uniforms; because 99%+ of football fans (and this would also have been true 25 years ago) around the country have never seen an Arkansas team that didn’t look like that. Why? Because the number of people who attended Razorback games in person is dwarfed by the number of those who have ONLY seen them on TV. So, what they wore in the leather helmet or no-facemask eras is virtually irrelevant (and not just for Arkansas). From the time the Razorback brand was imprinted on the Nation (to whatever degree it was), it was the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s version that they were looking at. And for all the small/minor changes that occurred during those years, the OVERALL look - especially, on TV - was basically the same.

As for the TD signal, I think you are mistaken. If you will notice at the 1:03 and the 3:00 marks of the 1954 Texas game you posted, there is a referee signalling TD in the traditional (two hands in the air) way. I’m thinking that in those days, only the “main referee” (whatever his title was - Umpire?) was the one who made that signal. What you’re referring to appears to be a first down signal; remember, a TD is also a first down in the stats. But the TD signal was still made - if only by one guy.

Swine I remember thinking for years that Tennessee’s colors were gray and white. That’s what they were on our old b&W TV.
Our red jerseys AND HELMETS appeared to be…ANTHRACITE!!!

Got an answer on one question. According to helmethut.com, OM had blue helmets with a red stripe in the 50s. Today OM sometimes wears lighter blue helmets particularly for road games. Perhaps they went a little lighter that day in Little Rock.

Wiz, go through some of Warmachine’s recent stuff. The number of times the ref reaches for the sky at touchdown time is very small. It’s not zero, but it’s very small. The pointing into the end zone part is much more prevalent. Or, as someone called it on Youtube comments, the Heil Hitler sign.

In one of them I’ve seen recently (watched enough that I don’t remember which game), I’m glad I wasn’t standing beside the ref making that signal. He would have knocked me out with the force of that arm pointing into the end zone.

I watched that OM game from the North End Zone, no seats there then and I got in free by selling programs before the game. Three other guys and myself sat on a blanket and was very close to Preston Carpenter when he scored the only points of the game.

Travelers Field was adjacent to the stadium and there was a small carnival there with rides all the time. The zoo was there also. It was north of the state hospital. And the golf course was there. There was also a Little Rock Technical High School there.

1st Razorback game I ever saw also—I was 11 years old— everybody wore suit and tie— except the ladies

The TD signal you are seeing is from the side judges (usually) and the had forward meant that the ball had broken the goal plane. Upon seeing that, the ref would then give the 2 hands up sign. I remeber the first meeting I went to as a new ref they were taking about that and saying be consistant. either us the penetration signal or not, but if one does, then all do it. I think it has faded out since. Have not been to one of those meetings in at least 100 yrs.

Makes sense. Head ref was not always in the shot when somebody scored, especially on a play of any length.

TYSM I’ve enjoyed this post

The games before 1964 are always informative

Wiz’s comments about why the all white and color uniforms is spot on

It’s also was insightful to note that most donor remember an Arkansas without a running Razorback on the helmet because of TV

Love the old videos - I’ve watched warmachine in the past - didn’t know he had ousted these

Enjoyable post and thread

interesting on the 54 hog-horns game highlight…when they show the scoreboard you see that Texas opened with LSU followed by a game with Notre Dame. Don’t see that anymore