it's about recruiting

Going back to the original postings about recruiting, let"s take a look at the Hogs current commits for the 2017 class. We have nineteen players committed and the total number of offers from all universities for the nineteen is 55. That is an average of 2.9 offers per recruit. Of those 55 total offers there have been only 15 total SEC offers and those 15 offers are for six players. So thirteen of our commits have zero SEC offers except for the Hogs. We will continue to struggle in the SEC with these numbers, either last or very close to last in the SEC. And don’t jump on CBB because these numbers are historical regardless of the coach. Guys, I love my Hogs but we will always struggle to compete with the cream of the SEC. If you think we will win a SEC championship with the level of recruits we can get to commit to Arkansas, it is basically a pipe dream. I am not happy with some of CBB decisions but if we can win eight games a year with our talent, it is probably about right. And this is coming from an Alumni who was in school during the glory days of 1964-1968.

Let’s deal with some facts. Arkansas had great special teams and a great offense under CBP. The defense was okay…Not great but not near as awful as it has been under CBB. These are real facts. If you are averaging over 30+ points a game you really don’t have to have a GREAT defense. However, there defense was better than what we have now. And the only thing that really matter is win loss record. Screw all this talking about defense under CBP. Which really should tell you something. We are not going to win trying to play big boy ball (beating man for man-athletes). Because guess what? We don’t have the big boys. We need an athletic QB and an open offense. We are not going to be able to stack up and run on theses teams week after week. I do agree you that coaching is overrated.

I agree. When it comes to recruiting, it seems like we are like the Timberwolves of college football. Just like the Timberwolves can’t compete for the best free agents in the NBA and thus are almost always mediocre, that’s how it seems with the Hogs in recruiting. I think the only way we win an SEC championship is by getting underrated players who end up being significantly better than expected. This means several 3 stars who end up playing like 4 or 5 stars in college. In order for that to happen would take great player analysis of recruits by the coaches to find those underrated players.

Let’s face it. Bielema wants to build a championship team with subpar material. Part of the problem he believed he could attract good recruits based on his reputation but that is not working. He hires a OL coach who he said was a good teacher but claimed was not a strong recruiter. That is the problem! He needs to make some coaching changes and hire recruiters who have and have had good relationships with high schools in areas where we are trying to recruit. We are never going to out recruit Bama, LSU or A&M, but we’re losing ground to Ole Miss and soon MSU. Just look at our OL now!

Its a little of both. And sometimes its the ability of a coach to find diamonds in the rough so to speak. Its been said that Nutt was good at that. But I don’t think so. Nutt played a numbers game that the NCAA eventually shut down. CBB is not as good at recognizing those as Petrino was. Don’t get me wrong he did ok with it at Wisconsin but they don’t compete in the SEC. You need to be good at evaluating EVERY position. And nobody was better than Petrino at this while at Arkansas. Coaching matters a TON. Some guys have a knack for getting the most out of their guys. Ever notice how even the smallest guys on Bobby’s teams would make the tackle against even the biggest guys by going to their feet ? The devil is in the details. Some coaches like Saban and Bobby care a great deal about the details. Coaches like BB don’t get that. Its easy to sit back and blame the talent. I guess if I was one of those people who just blindly supported my school I’d be looking for excuses as well. But I’m not. I love Arkansas. But its time to admit we messed up by firing Bobby and then messed up again by hiring John L and then CBB and find somebody competent. Oh don’t be so fast to discount the Randy Shannon factor.

I used to believe that good coaches can develop players and win, but stats prove me wrong. The teams that are constantly in the top 10 are teams with good recruiting classes. You can’t expect a coach to “coach up” 85 players who are 3 stars while coaches at Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, A&M get to start out with 4 star players to coach up. Sure we have exceptions playing for us now but we can’t expect 85 exceptions! I don’t blame the players but they are trying to play against guys who are superior in talent, size and speed, and it’s showing. Those 4 star players are not coming to Ark because Bielema won the Big X a few times or that we have a great cafeteria. You need coaches who not only have coaching talent, but have the knack to identify and close the deal on very good players. We’ve had good players show interest the last couple of years but can’t close the deal. Oh hell. Maybe Trump will be available next year! Anyway, I like Bielema but maybe he needs to quit being stubborn and rethink a few people on his staff and bring in some top notch recruiters. Do we dare replace Smith with Orgeronif he doesn’t get the LSU job?

I’d take Orgeron in a heartbeat. But you better believe that Holier than Cow Jeff Long wouldn’t. I’m not a stars guy. And I don’t believe in coaching guys up either. You can count me in as among those who believe that the best coaches are better at evaluating talent then the recruiting services. I was never worried about the stars besides the names of the guys Bobby brought in bc his kids got it done on the field. Bobby’s attention to detail during practice didnt hurt their performance either. But what made Bobby such a homerun for Arkansas was that he could do both. Evaluate and get the most out of his kids.

I was thinking last night that it seemed like Bobby wasn’t offering very many Arkansas kids his last couple of years. And wondering if that was a factor in his demise ? Just look at some of the message boards over that RB Bret didn’t offer last year. People were just getting stupid about it. Petrino hurting some high school coaches feelings didn’t likely help him. I have no idea to what extent. Either way firing him was the dumbest decision in Razorback football history. Well apart from turning down Jimmy Johnson obviously.

While recruiting services do make mistakes about players, they usually are correct and teams that do recruit 4 star players have been very successful. Lately, last year and so far this year, we’re not even getting highly rated 3 star players. Bielema in press conferences has even hinted that in some cases our players gave been over matched.

As far as Petrino I also believe he was a good coach but my radar was turned on after 2 great years and recruiting didn’t pick up. That reflects on the coach! I heard stories that when a recruit would come to visit and paired with a player, the current player cautioned the recruit about signing with us. Plus the SEC is much different now than 6-7 years ago. There was no A&M, MSU and Ole Miss were down and Auburn had its ups and downs as well. So Bama and LSU were the only teams standing in our was and 9-10 wins was doable. Today it seems everyone is much better and we are still trying to steady the ship. I really like Bielema but I believe he is stubborn and believes he can coach up 85 players to compete against Bama and no one has been able to do that with better players than we have. Recruiting better players is the key and you need good recruiters to get them. Hiring Anderson was a bone headed hire and he needs to be the first one replaced along with getting a new DC!

I read most of your posts over the last several days. A Petrno lover who despises Bielema & Long as a reincarnated Jdeere. Very analytical in rehashing all the factoids over a smelling dead horse corpse. Petrino would have parted the Boston Mountains with Razorback splendor if he would have just been allowed the freedom to be himself.

Petrino being himself, parading down public highways and allowing compromising pics with the young lady friend instead of the normal clandestine locations for such manly adventures. Did Petrino not give a hoot about his marriage? He apparently cared very much judging by the immediate very public humble reconciliations he made towards his family. Was Petrino just damn stupid? I will say no. What does that leave for him to care about? Can you say RAZORBACK NATION?

Raxorback Nation is who Petrino cared absolutely nothing about when he climbed on that motorcycle with Miss Dorrell. He didn’t give a damn hoot. Only a fool would think he would still be here now.

The “P” word should never be mentioned again when discussing Ark football as far as looking into the future. Bielema is our coach now and the foreseeable future so let’s just hope he can do the job and get our program headed in the right direction.

I don’t know you or who you’re reincarnated religious figure is ?? But I do believe that Petrino had a ten million dollar buyout. So he wasn’t going anywhere. You are just saying things bc they fit your obvious agenda. Bobby cared a great deal about his players and about the Razorback Nation. He also enjoyed women. Big deal if he cheated on his wife… It happens. Its NOT a clergy position its a coaching one. SO at least try to keep it real. Please try. OR don’t. I get the impression you’re a good German.

The P word has been and will continue to be mentioned bc there are many like myself who will ALWAYS believe firmly that firing him was both unnecessary and foolish. You might enjoy being soft and mediocre but I don’t. I’m not interested in hearing about whether or not a coach is faithful to his wife… Who cares ? Thats her business. Clearly she’s ok with it bc she’s still there. And hey FYI Bobby is blowing CBB away. So there’s that too. You want to loose at all costs. I get it.

You’re assuming I’m soft and don’t care about being mediocre which is far from being the truth. You need to understand that Petrino not only cheated on his wife which probably didn’t cost him his job but lying to his boss and making him look like a fool will get anyone fired! Constantly harping on him doesn’t not address issues of today so you really need to grow up and resolve your school boy man crush and seek professional help if you can’t!

It looks like to me our defense has been out of position and they looked slow. Perhaps a little over coached and thinking too much and reacting a little slow? Our team has to want the win more and PLAY like it.Our talent is there but they are not playing lights out and that is coaching. HOGS YA’LL.

Your agenda is obvious, turn every topic on the board into a Petrino was done wrong analogy. Petrino was fired from this job, he is now the Louisville coach. Why are you here constantly talking about him? Do you have a Petrino fetish? Maybe you need mental counseling. You are the Jdeere loony tune. No religion involved.