It was a very long day

… at the ball park. But what fun!!

First there was Full Tilt Boogie tailgating, then two incredible games.

I’d say today was one big home run.

Kyle Peterson on SEC Now noted that Arkansas hit home runs out of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 spots in the line up. The 8th and 9th guys in the lineup combined to hit four homers on the weekend.

On the SEC+ broadcast, they kept mentioning that the 39 runs scored tied for the most in an SEC series for an Arkansas team, dating back to 1996 (or thereabouts).

The thing is, that would have been with those ultra hot aluminum bats . . . oranges and apples with todays bats (and, yes - I AM aware that they ball is a little “hotter” than it was then. But the difference between the aluminum bats and what they use today is much greater than the difference in the baseballs.

This a good hitting team. Now if you have Koch and Shaddy hitting at the bottom of the lineup, you have a good lineup.

better than good their GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

Clay, Kendall Rogers mentioned in one of his tweets how impressed he was that the Hog hitters were not chasing anything out of the strike zone. It seems like we did a lot of that in the past. How much of that is credit to Coach Nate Thompson and the approach he brings to hitting, and how much of it is just that we had a great weekend all around?

Well, we did that a lot on our trip to California, and still have a couple that will chase a few, but the hitting approach overall was better this weekend.

I keep telling myself not to get TOO excited. I know it’s baseball & teams can get hot for short spurts & then have both pitching & hitting letdowns. After all, our trip to California was pretty bad. Still, this team looks to be one that can go a very long way. I don’t recall an opening weekend where we led the SEC. In fact, I was worried that at best we’d get a 2-1 split with UK & then follow up with bad split series at Fla & OM.

Of course, we might still have bad results the next two weekends, but the 3-0 start assures we shouldn’t be in too big a hole by the time we start playing in Baum again. If we can go 3-3 on the road against these quality opponents, we should be in good shape barring a meltdown later in the season. Even 2-4 against them wouldn’t be awful. And, we played well enough to make me optimistic we might win either or both series. If so, everyone will be chasing us into May.

It’s without question some maturity in the hitters. Van Horn said freshmen Casey Martin and Heston Kjerstad were chasing pitches outside the zone in the Kentucky series. They hadn’t done that in the last three weeks as they both hit .400. He said, “I hope that now after playing an SEC series, they will settle down.”

I don’t know how much Nate Thompson’s influence has helped in the elimination of the “chase” in some of these older hitters. I never thought Bonfield was a chase guy. He was probably too patient in the past. Koch is a bit of the same deal. Cole eliminated that about the halfway point last season so that is pre-Thompson. I think most of it is just the veteran nature of this group of hitters. Certainly, I give Thompson credit because everyone says he’s a great teacher. He has a vast array of drills for situational hitting.

[quote=“Neastarkie”]

I keep telling myself not to get TOO excited. I know it’s baseball & teams can get hot for short spurts & then have both pitching & hitting letdowns. After all, our trip to California was pretty bad. Still, this team looks to be one that can go a very long way. I don’t recall an opening weekend where we led the SEC. In fact, I was worried that at best we’d get a 2-1 split with UK & then follow up with bad split series at Fla & OM.

Of course, we might still have bad results the next two weekends, but the 3-0 start assures we shouldn’t be in too big a hole by the time we start playing in Baum again. If we can go 3-3 on the road against these quality opponents, we should be in good shape barring a meltdown later in the season. Even 2-4 against them wouldn’t be awful. And, we played well enough to make me optimistic we might win either or both series. If so, everyone will be chasing us into May.

[/quote]I’m not sure that the California trip was all that bad. They played against teams that were further along in the very early season. (As much as the indoor facility helps, it just cannot compare to real practice outdoors.) The other piece of that is that it showed the young’uns on the team that they had more work to do.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

You might be right, Marty. I heard DVH make the same observation. Still, I was disappointed in the 2-2 split & felt our talent was such that we should have done better. However, the main thrust of my post is that I’m trying to tamp down my enthusiasm because it’s still early in the season & I’ve gotten too far ahead of the team in years past. Right now my goal is to be a seeded team with an automatic host for a super-regional if we win the regional at Baum. I see this team as a CWS contender, but I just don’t want my expectations to get ahead of my hope.

Regardless, we haven’t done what we’ve done in recent preseason schedules: lost to some inferior teams to put us into a spot where we had to win big in the SEC to secure a national seed or even a regional host position. If the NCAA was seeded today, I have no doubt we’d be a national seed—perhaps a very high one. The next two weekends will go a long way toward securing that if we manage to go 4-2. (I’m assuming—not a smart idea—that we sweep Charlotte.)

BTW, Charlotte is 11-8 on the season, 2-1 in CUSA after series win against FIU

The Charlotte website says Tuesday’s game will be on TV on beINSports, which is a mostly-soccer channel. Cox has it on one of their sports-extra tiers at channel 292. Wednesday afternoon’s game is on Cox Sports TV.

[quote=“SwineFusion”]

BTW, Charlotte is 11-8 on the season, 2-1 in CUSA after series win against FIU

The Charlotte website says Tuesday’s game will be on TV on beINSports, which is a mostly-soccer channel. Cox has it on one of their sports-extra tiers at channel 292. Wednesday afternoon’s game is on Cox Sports TV.

[/quote]I have beINSports on my DirecTV sports package (channel 620) and it does show the game at 6:30 on Tuesday. It also appears that a couple of the Florida games may also be broadcast on ESPN2 and the SEC network.

According to the Florida website, the Friday game is only available on the SEC Network+ (ESPN app), but Saturday’s is on ESPN2, and the Sunday finale will be on the main SEC Network.

http://floridagators.com/schedule.aspx? … e_id_13911

Yup, those would be the ones that I found when doing a search on DirecTV. I was just lazy when I made that post and didn’t look up which game was which.

Marty, I can’t believe that you were lazy. I figure you were doing three things at once. I have never once thought you could be lazy even if you tried.

[quote=“ClayHenry”]

Marty, I can’t believe that you were lazy. I figure you were doing three things at once. I have never once thought you could be lazy even if you tried.

[/quote]Apparently I have you fooled! :smiley: