Is the offense really that complicated.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkan … sas-coach/

I think he is overstating the “Complicated Offense” angle. Nearly all Power Five schools run some type of version of this or a “Pro-Style” offense that requires both the QB and the Center to make calls at the line of scrimmage and the WR to make adjustments and reads as well. I personally think the issue on offense boils down to the O-line deficiencies more than anything else. We lost who would have been our starting center in the off season, and three others that might have challenged for starting positions or provided depth to career ending injuries. hard to overcome that.

I suspect it is but we have seen very little of it so far so I can’t say for sure. Like most offenses, one thing builds on another to create big plays. Morris needs at least one wideout the other side can’t really count on covering with one player. He doesn’t have that. He needs a quarterback who is a running threat, who is a deep passing threat, and who can make a snap decision in the run pass option offense that will end up hurting the defense. In theory, you can’t stop all of the options and all the QB has to do is avoid the bad option, select the good option, and big play every time. He doesn’t have the QB able to do that, yet.

One play tells the story of this season. In the 10th game of the year, Boyd and Jones (with the ball) run into each other and fall to the ground without a defender touching them. It looked like Boyd didn’t know the play or just went the wrong way. Does that sound like a team that has learned the offense and got it down pat?

Blocking not good enough to give the QB time to throw deep. Receivers with not enough speed to get open deep. A quarterback without a strong enough arm to not throw behind the receiver when they do get a little open. It is hard to build up an offense until you got some threats to build with. We don’t have very many options that stress the defense, cause them to over-react, and let’s us take advantage of that to create a big play. Maybe next year. JMVVVVHO

It definitely requires more athletic ability in this offensive line to run the pulls, and counters that they want to run. It should be easier to block the RPO because it’s almost all run block stuff.

Is it complicated? Yes. There are reads to it and it’s different. I doubt it’s more complicated, but different means learning new stuff.

I’m glad you brought this up, because this has bothered me for years.

HDN and BMFP ran their offenses. like em or hate em, the team ran what they wanted.

with CBB and this season, we keep hearing, over and over: “the offense is complicated, they can’t run it, we have to simplify” and other variations of that.

I’ve always wondered if it were that intellectually challenging, or if the coaches were trying not to say: “these guys are not physically capable of running what I want to run”.

I have no idea what the problem is. I tend to think that more skilled players could run either of our last 2 offenses better. But then I see our football graduation rates, and watch our players literally run into each other in the 10th game of the season, and maybe it is lack of knowledge/comprehension?

Clay, DD, RD, Scotty, what do you guys think?

Regardless, I’ll be VERY happy to never again hear a coach of ours talk about “simplifying the offense”.

GHG

[quote=“Hogmodo”]

I suspect it is but we have seen very little of it so far so I can’t say for sure. Like most offenses, one thing builds on another to create big plays. Morris needs at least one wideout the other side can’t really count on covering with one player. He doesn’t have that. He needs a quarterback who is a running threat, who is a deep passing threat, and who can make a snap decision in the run pass option offense that will end up hurting the defense. In theory, you can’t stop all of the options and all the QB has to do is avoid the bad option, select the good option, and big play every time. He doesn’t have the QB able to do that, yet.

One play tells the story of this season. In the 10th game of the year, Boyd and Jones (with the ball) run into each other and fall to the ground without a defender touching them. It looked like Boyd didn’t know the play or just went the wrong way. Does that sound like a team that has learned the offense and got it down pat?

Blocking not good enough to give the QB time to throw deep. Receivers with not enough speed to get open deep. A quarterback without a strong enough arm to not throw behind the receiver when they do get a little open. It is hard to build up an offense until you got some threats to build with. We don’t have very many options that stress the defense, cause them to over-react, and let’s us take advantage of that to create a big play. Maybe next year. JMVVVVHO

[/quote]I believe Coach Morris said Monday that Jones sdaid the defensive end had charged upfield and caused him to take a different angle toward the ball and therefore run into Boyd. I’m not sure how it happened, but it sure looked embarrassing.

Im ready to hear about expanding the offense.

He had a pretty good offense at SMU and Ben Hicks neither has a strong arm nor running ability.

You are right about Ben Hicks but he is also a much more accurate passer who had/has better receivers. Isn’t CCM’s receiver when he left SMU playing in the pros? Do you see any of ours getting drafted?

This is Beliema’s team; Morris has to run it. It’s a sad scenario, as Beliema did not develop his players. When the answer to “What do we need most from recruiting” is “everything” it’s a tough, tough situation.

It is complicated, but the “it” is not the offense.

I think offenses as a whole are more complex and complicated than they were even 10 years ago. Expecting players to learn an entirely new set of plays and terminology over the course of a handful of months can be challenging, especially when you consider the class load that most are taking on top of playing football.

I do not agree with you on this.

Almost all of these players ran the spread in high school of some type.
I would think it was harder for them to run smash mouth FB than this.
From what I see and I am by far no expert but it does not look that hard.
Not a lot of motion going on, still bunching up 3 receivers close to the line… CBB ran that last year and pretty much same results