Is Michael Smith about to be courted again??

Dameyune Craig fired as WR coach and recruiting coordinator by Coach O. LSU could be a lot more attractive minus the Hatter…

ust hours after signing his first recruiting class as LSU’s head coach, Ed Orgeron really shook things up with two major staff changes. In a press release issued by the school at midday, Orgeron announced that LSU running backs coach Jabbar Juluke has been re-assigned to a position within the athletic department and wide receiver coach Dameyune Craig has been relieved of his duties. Naturally, the announcement’s timing makes one wonder if these changes could be about recruiting at their respective positions. I wrote in yesterday’s report that “LSU did a great job of addressing team needs at most positions, but came up short at WR and RB.” Both coaches came to LSU with reputations of being solid recruiters. In fact, Craig was given the title of Recruiting Coordinator when Orgeron relinquished that title and became the Tigers’ head coach. But, truth be told, Craig and Juluke didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting their respective positions, although their efforts contributed to a top-10 class. Now, with that said, I’ve gathered that this is about more than recruiting. This could also have to do with personal dynamics, developing talent to the fullest, and/or Ed Orgeron and Matt Canada’s wanting a say in who the offensive assistants are. Remember, neither Orgeron nor Canada had a say in the hiring of those two men. For what it’s worth, in the statement released by LSU, Orgeron says, “We appreciate the work that Dameyune and Jabbar did for LSU” and “We wish them nothing but success in the future.” As a Tiger fan, I’d like to echo that sentiment. With spring football set to begin on March 11, I can assure you that new hires will come quickly.
So, who does LSU hire to fill those two positions? I don’t know, but here are a few names Jimmy Smith of NOLA.com suggests as potential candidates to replace Dameyune Craig – James Coley (currently at Georgia but a former graduate assistant at LSU), Michael Smith (currently at Arkansas but with New Orleans ties), Keith Williams (currently at Nebraska, formerly at Tulane), and David Johnson (currently at Memphis, formerly at St. Augustine High in N.O.). Of course, another name that is thrown out there by a lot of my readers is Curtis Johnson, the former New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach who was previously the head coach at Tulane. Johnson coached receivers for Chicago in 2016, but then turned down an offer to remain with the Bears and left the team on January 30, 2017. There have been widespread reports of Curtis returning to coach at New Orleans, but as of now, he has not been formally announced by the Saints organization, which has many thinking he might still be in play. Personally, I believe Johnson will indeed coach receivers for the Saints. As for replacing Jabar Juluke, I’ll let you know names as I hear credible info, though as of now there are none to report. I can tell you with confidence that Matt Canada will have some influence in the hires.

http://www.dandydon.com/

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ … r_l.html#2

It is past silly season, but changes are going to tip some dominoes. I’m thinking Coach Smith stays, but is tempted.

No compete clause… Next.

Not unless he becomes the OC.

Pretty sure Matt Canada isn’t going anywhere yet.

I assume they could make him WR coach and recruiting coordinator…

How about Co-OC and Receivers Coach? Scary thought.

Very, very doubtful… I am sure that type of wording is covered in the contract. I seriously doubt they would leave a “in name only” Coordinator position open as a loophole.

And no I haven’t read the contract, I assume that Our Lawyers have done their due diligence.

I’ve read his contract. It allows him to take another SEC job if he has offensive coordinator in his title. I’d assume that would cover a co-coordinator job.

That said, I think Michael is happy at Arkansas. I’d be surprised if he left. And I’m not sure how much interest LSU would have in him now. The past interest was from Les Miles, not Ed Orgeron.

Again, not to be pedantic but giving Michael a “in name only” promotion would not fly… We will see how things shake out, but there is Zero chance that he is going to get a “Co-Offensive Coordinator” title to share with Matt. Zero chance.