Interesting quote from a Bama guy about early signing

Ed Marynowitz used to be an NFL player personnel guy. Now he’s the Bama associate AD for football, with a big role in their recruiting. Here’s what he says about the early signing period, from Bruce Feldman at SI.com:

[quote]I think everybody will have a certain degree of benefit. It’ll probably benefit (second tier Power 5) programs more than it’ll benefit programs like us cause it’ll force our hand early instead of being able to wait till the end and see who we get, then come back and maybe poach a guy. That guy may be the No. 1 recruit at one of those schools where he may be the 10th or 11th guy for us.
[/quote]

I think that’s probably right. A guy that a Bama, Clemson or OU might have stolen in late January as a high-quality Plan B, now signs with someone else as their Plan A in December. Hopefully we, as a second-tier Power 5 program at the moment, can benefit from that when we have a staff in place for the entire recruiting cycle.

I think that’s probably right. A guy that a Bama, Clemson or OU might have stolen in late January as a high-quality Plan B, now signs with someone else as their Plan A in December. Hopefully we, as a second-tier Power 5 program at the moment, can benefit from that when we have a staff in place for the entire recruiting cycle.

[/quote]

The highlighted paragraph is exactly what I’ve been saying. That’s why I was surprised to read so many posters here (including insiders) seemingly down on it.

I think in a regular year when we aren’t looking for a new coach and AD (and if we have a coach who is a good early evaluator for his system) this new signing day could benefit us.

Bama, Fla, Lsu and others often come after our long-term commitments after they miss out on higher-ranked players, late.

#2 at Bama is a good example of that. Bama poached him the last day of recruiting. Under current rules, he may have signed in December.

I’m all for it.

Wish it was in the summer