Insiders.....

It is obvious to most that the defensive approach just doesn’t fit our personnel.
I’m not sure his trapping/switching is going to be effective regardless of personnel against teams with multiple quality ball handlers and shooters.

Is this something you guys think Mike will figure out or he going to go down with the ship?
It’s a shame he can’t or won’t see it.
I believe he could succeed here if he would just tweak his approach (well, it may require more than a tweak).

Is this a question that anyone has asked Coach Anderson, or one that could be asked at the next opportunity?
Maybe a tough question to throw out there, but I’d love to have some sort of an answer.

Thanks.

He made that adjustment at halftime last night so, yes he will tweak.

Ha. Good one.
I’m speaking more of his overall philosophy/approach.
Not a reaction to getting embarrassed in the first half and trying to change something by the time the game is out of reach.
I’m talking about realizing his defensive game plan is sorely outdated and will never work consistently against top 20 talent, particularly on the road.

But I do appreciate your “insider” insight.

Let’s be honest - this team isn’t good defensively in the half court or the full court against teams with quality ball handlers.

As I have noted all year, he has tweaked it and at times it has been successful and at other times just horrible.

I have asked a version of the question at least five times this season in pre-game or post-game press conferences.

But to act like he doesn’t make adjustments is just not looking close enough or being close-minded about it.

Important to note that the adjustments are not successful, but he does make them - just as he did at halftime last night.

Don’t understand why you think that is a tough question to throw out there or that it hasn’t been asked.

Coach Anderson takes a lot from Coach Richardson and his time with him.

But he’s not trying to play the same way. You can’t do that these days.

So true, rule changes on hand checking stopped the “Rollin with Nolan” type of play and the media timeouts took away the ability to consistently running the other team out gas. But it was fun for awhile! WPS

Thanks for the response.
I do realize that he makes adjustments consistently.
But it is usually after his pressure d approach gets us in a hole.
Nearly always starts out the game with his standard d which nearly always gets us down quickly against quality teams.

I was speaking more to an adjustment in his overall mindset about what is successful and what is obviously not in today’s college game.

We were told Macon and Barford were pretty tenacious defenders coming in.
I don’t doubt that is true.
But, I don’t think the personnel exists to make his current pressure approach work against high level guards/teams.

Maybe I’m wrong.
I’m still sure hoping to be.

Thanks again.

Tell that to bob Huggins and rick pitino.

You do realize that we didn’t score for 7.5 minutes last night, right? Vandy had 72 points. Not bad D to me. Our offense was terrible. If you don’t see that then you’re going to be expecting something that isn’t going to happen. You can’t expect to hold vandy to 4 point during that run. That’s absurd. KY gave up 80+ to LSU at home last night. That’s bad D.

You do realize that we didn’t score for 7.5 minutes last night, right? Vandy had 72 points. Not bad D to me. Our offense was terrible. If you don’t see that then you’re going to be expecting something that isn’t going to happen. You can’t expect to hold vandy to 4 point during that run. That’s absurd. KY gave up 80+ to LSU at home last night. That’s bad D.
[/quote]

Let me ask you a question.
I see from your posts here you are somewhat of an Anderson defender.
Nothing wrong with that.
We all have our positions here.
But, are you really defending Anderson’s defense?
I’m serious. Not trying to antagonize you.
Just curious.

You’ve seen the wide open threes over and over and over. The layups and dunks that result from our pressure vs good teams?
You’ve seen the STATS?
Historically this is one of the worst defensive teams in recent memory.

Held Vandy to 70 something? Nice job.
You do realize typically teams let up a bit after building a 20 point lead early first half and never bring threatened?

I just can’t see how anyone can defend this defense.
But yes, you are correct. At times the offense looks stagnant and struggles. Last night for instance.
But generally our offense has been more than adequate this season.
Good enough to win quite few games in spite of our d.

Maybe you know more about basketball than me (wouldn’t be too hard).
Maybe you see something in this d that reassures you, or suggests to you we are on the right tract.
Is so, please enlighten me.

I will say, if you think Huggins and Pitino coach the same d as Mike Anderson you need to watch more closely.
Tell me you see their 7 footer trying to stop dribble drive on a point guard.
Or their point guard banging down low against the other team’s post scorers.
Doesn’t happen.

There’s no excuse to repeatedly giving up open 3’s. The junks and layups stinks too!
In my option it’s not Coach. There has to be something going on between players that we all don’t know about.
They have to play as a team and they don’t. You can make all the adjustments in the world if your team lacks effort and heart it won’t work.
They all need to look in the mirror and make adjustments.

does not see it and coaches a system. It works or it doesn’t. not good with this many juco’s.

We have got to find a true PG somehow some way. We need a floor general, a leader, a coach on the floor. When everything is going wrong we have to have someone that will step up & get in these players faces & get things going the right direction. And right now we simply do not have it. Look at Florida play. Chiozza & Hill are floor generals. And I guarantee you if they saw Hayes out there shooting 3s they’d be all over his butt! Who do we have doing that when Kingsley is out on the perimeter shooting 3s? No one. And that is part of our problem right now. A PG is about so much more than just feeding the ball to the right people.