Insiders: Quarterback in 2018

1. Do you think Arkansas has a QB on the current roster that is capable of playing high level, winning football in the SEC in 2018 in the new offense?

2. If the answer to question 1 is no do you think one or both of the the two freshman is capable of coming in and playing high level, winning football in the SEC in 2018?

3. If the answer to question 2 is no do you think Arkansas is interested in bringing a grad transfer QB that has played in a similar system? If so, do you have an idea of who is or will be available?

In CFB I’ve observed more often than not if you don’t have a very good, proficient QB then you don’t have anything. Really good QB play is a must IMO if Arkansas is to have a chance to go bowling - especially given the lack of overall talent and depth as compared to most of our SEC opponents.

I think all options are on the table when it comes to quarterback because I do not think it is a strong position right now. I would not be surprised to see either Kelley or Storey start because of their knowledge gained from the spring, but I also would not be surprised to see one of the freshmen start at some point because none of the quarterbacks excelled in the spring.

I would be a little surprised to see a grad transfer come in because of the number of quarterbacks that are already on campus.

1. Yes, but he - whoever that person is - will have to deal with an evolving offensive line and some youth on offense, albeit I do believe there are a few play makers waiting to step up.

2. No, not a first. I do believe Connor can be a really good quarterback, but I don’t think he will be ready to start early and should not be - as Connor put it himself - thrown to the sharks until he is ready to swim with them.

3. I don’t see that guy out there right now.

If Arkansas gets to a bowl, it will be a very good job by this staff. I’m at 5-7 right now, but reserve the right to change my mind and either add or subtract before the season starts.

Okay, Dudley…who is the guy you think can play winning high level SEC football at the quarterback position? That is a tall order right now. Do you think we have more than one or do you have one in mind. Inquiring minds want to know.

I really can’t answer that just yet. I don’t think anyone does know until they come back after the summer and see how slick they are on the reads and amount of progress is made. Chad Morris expects there to be a lot of progress from the end of spring until the start of camp. They were inconsistent in the spring. No one will say any different. What will they be after fall camp in normal development? Not sure.

I don’t think I have any way to answer any of your questions. I have confidence in knowing that Chad Morris will get there at some point. Will it be this August or not until October? I don’t know. I can’t tell you who the quarterback is going to be and that in itself tells you some of the answer to your question. They don’t have a starter right now. So I wouldn’t guess on whether it would be one of those who were out there in the spring, or someone coming in this summer.

Since I am a glass half full guy, I think they kept under wraps the plays that had been fine tuned for each of our QB’s strengths in public practices and the spring game. So, what we got is better than what we have seen so far. They will be much better handling the RPO after intense work this summer. They both ran a similar offense in high school so they will settle in and do better in time. So, in Morris’ system we will have a B- quality QB at best with Deshaun Watson being the A+ standard. Ben Hicks, Morris’ QB at SMU was a B+ with lots better passing ability than running ability. Our guys both will be slightly worse and more runners than passers. The low hanging fruit is they both need lots of improvement on their accuracy while passing on the run and on the long ball. If they can get better there, Morris will have something he can work with. The early games, especially in Colorado, are huge and we need to start off solid to have a decent season. They have shown nothing but watered down vanilla drippings on offense for public viewing so far. JMVVVVHO.

The fact that I said “whoever” that is should tell you that I believe that one of them will rise to the top, but I am not sure which one. I think Cole has more natural talent and flair and is a more exciting player while Ty is more cerebral but less likely to take chances that either turn into big plays or bad plays.

I knew the answer before I asked the question. I don’t know why I asked it except I’m curious. We all know nobody knows who will be the man and how well will he play. My bet is that Cole Kelley will be the starter. He has an indefinable quality about him as a confident, vocal leader who is very competitive and makes things happen. I was impressed last year with how he handled himself and how confident he was. He is not the ideal run/pass quarterback for this offense, but he is probably the answer for the fall of 2018.

Question #1. No, I don’t believe that we currently have a QB on the roster that is capable of playing at a high level in the SEC during the 2018 season.
Question#2. I believe that Connor Noland and Red Shirt Freshman Daulton Hyatt are both better options than either Kelley or Story, but neither will probably be thrown to the wolves until midseason.
Question #3. There will be no graduate transfer QB coming to Arkansas for the 2018 season.

Yes, we need a quality QB, but that doesn’t matter if the O Line doesn’t get better in a hurry!

Go HOGS!

[quote=“MattJones”]

I think all options are on the table when it comes to quarterback because I do not think it is a strong position right now. I would not be surprised to see either Kelley or Storey start because of their knowledge gained from the spring, but I also would not be surprised to see one of the freshmen start at some point because none of the quarterbacks excelled in the spring.

I would be a little surprised to see a grad transfer come in because of the number of quarterbacks that are already on campus.

[/quote]agree 100%

If we get to the start of season with no injuries or arrest to our QBs and Kelley or Storey is not starting I will be shocked. I just can’t see anyone else winning the job at this time. I don’t think there is a QB in the Sec that could come in and perform at a high level for us until we have a better O line, maybe the new staff gets things turned around quickly and they will need to for our QBs to reach their potential. WPS

I’m sure that the game one starter is already on campus, but Connor Noland may catch them once he has more than the 20 or so camp practices.

Remember the NCAA doesn’t allow 2-a-days anymore so that makes it even harder.

As Connor has said himself, he doesn’t need to be thrown to the sharks unless he ready to swim with them.

I am concerned that the Oline will be shaky for a while until we prove we can pick up blitzes. The QB better have good mobility and especially a quick first 2-3 steps to side step a rush.