Insiders preview back in August was just off...

Defense was the biggest weakness this team has ever had.

In fairness, it’s hard to make predictions when you’re not allowed to watch practices. Such rules mean that the insiders don’t often know a great deal more than we do about the pre-season product on the field.

I just chalk that up to them simply misjudging our talent and how good we would be on defense. Just a misevaluation. I don’t think anyone thought we would be this bad on defense.

It is easy to get mad at the Insiders, and I have done that, be they are telling us what they staff is telling them.

This is on the coaches. Several need to go. SEVERAL.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ll own what I said. The defense - in particular the line - was the strength of the team in the spring and the preseason. In retrospect, it was stronger because the offensive line just wasn’t very good. But I didn’t know that until the season began. That’s the risk you run when all you have to gauge the team is vs. itself.

They’re also looking and doing what pretty much every prognosticator does–they look at who is coming back and what is coming in.

The defense wasn’t good last year, but was able to stop the run at a reasonable clip.

They also got some sacks at the end of last year.

So, with 9 returning starters coming back and some impact freshmen coming in, there was every reason to believe the defense would be improved.

It almost had to improve. And then, it didn’t.

But, there was nothing unreasonable or overly company line about projecting it to be better.

Now, in hindsight, it’s easy to sit back and call the predictions into question.

It’s easy to be solely negative or positive all the time. Objectivity? That’s tougher. Looking at the team in preseason there were many more reasons to expect improvement than there were reasons to expect record-setting awfulness.