Illegal man downfield rule ENFORCE IT

The three-yard rule must be enforced so defenses are not in shackles. If the guard is 4-5 yards down field, the defender is taught to read that key and stop covering his receiver and play the run. Auburn has been getting away with this and it is not even close.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ … ll_co.html

"Saban, earlier this week along with South Carolina coach Will Muschamp, was grousing about defending RPO (run pass option) offenses that often have linemen illegally blocking more than five yards downfield when a quarterback fakes a handoff, steps back and throws downfield.

“I don’t think there is any answer to the RPO,” Saban said at the SEC spring meetings. “When you can run a running play and the offensive line blocks a running play, while the defensive player keys a run or a pass and the quarterback throws the ball because the safety doesn’t come down, there is no solution to that other than you can’t go downfield three-and-a-half yards to block, which is the rule in the NFL and other places.”

Muschamp suggested that offensive linemen illegally blocking downfield should be reviewable using the SEC’s collaborative replay rule.

“It would be a good replay topic,” he said. “It’s a hard, fast-moving game to officiate as fast it is right now.”

Was a player wearing a jersey number 50-79 at 3+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball was thrown? The illegal man downfield rule should use video replay. The refs could request that the replay officials review the play if the refs think a lineman crossed the line before the ball was thrown.

Wow, then 2 teams playing against each other such as Auburn & anyone else with the RPO offense might take upwards of 4-5 hours to complete with all the replays the refs might request. Or the refs will be limited to how many replays in any 1 game they can request.

Everything the two coaches say about Auburn’s down-field blocking for the PRO is true, maybe not every play, but it’s often.

And when Saban reigns in his outside rushers, or BB can get a late hit called against Bama, I might have a little sympathy for “his shortness.”

Bama’s outside rushers have damn near killed the Allen brothers for four years running. And there has probably been a late hit called against them at some point, but I don’t remember it.

Further, the clubbing action their outside rushers (two arms raised and slamming them down as hard as they can into the QB) should be a personal foul, in-and-of-itself.

But then for Saban, everything is just hard play unless it goes against his team.

therein lies the issue as you have noted. I think that there would have to be review # limits, but I also think that teams like AU will have to curtail it if they know it is being enforced. The fear of penalties will reduce occurrences in spite of limits.

I don’t think the games would be long. After a few replays and the penalty was called, the teams using this tactic will stop. You aren’t going to do something if it is routinely called. Penalties will end the practice. Eventually, the rule is going to be changed to match the NFL rule.

I agree. I think it is insane that teams have gotten away with RPO/downfield lineman, prairie dog stance holding the defense hostage, and the HUNH pace all at the same time. I would hate to play defense against teams that cheat this rule as it is impossible to succeed. The Spread and HUNH pace will lose some of it’s advantage if this rule is enforced as it should have been from day 1. Fatigue and misalignment via pace makes the defensive reaction to the RPO worse.

Beating the intent of the rule is always the reason rules get changed. Time to change this rule. I think it will probably happen. Now, having Jeff Long in the position at the very top of the game – the Oversight Committee – might be a key move. You think he understands all of this? Yep, he does.

Maybe I’m naïve about the replay official, so this might not work. But couldn’t he, being in the press box, have a better look at line play and when he sees an RPO with a lineman that appears to be past the 3-yard barrier just ring down to the referee and initiate the replay. That would do two things; One, it would let the line judge remain focused on other issues (though he could still call it), and two, limit the replays. Not sure how that would work with the centralized replay folks, but it seems like it would work with the official in the booth.

[quote=“SoArkHog”]
Maybe I’m naïve about the replay official, so this might not work. But couldn’t he, being in the press box, have a better look at line play and when he sees an RPO with a lineman that appears to be past the 3-yard barrier just ring down to the referee and initiate the replay. That would do two things; One, it would let the line judge remain focused on other issues (though he could still call it), and two, limit the replays. Not sure how that would work with the centralized replay folks, but it seems like it would work with the official in the booth.
[/quote]\

This is an excellent idea SoArk! The refs have a bad angle to determine location on field compared to someone with an overhead angle. Maybe the refs can use the extra time to enforce picks, holding of WR/TE, etc.

Clay is there a chance that this could be enforced for this season?

We could call it… . . .let’s see. . .oh, I know, lets call it the Aurburn Rule! :o

I’m sure Bama would love for the Auburn Rule to be enforced! In fact that may be reason to believe it will be enforced this season.

The question is will it be enforced anytime Auburn plays anybody but Bama?

An extremely good point and one that shows the influence Bama has on the SEC office in…Birmingham, AL

And the unwashed thought we were getting away from the “Texas Influence.” We did and jumped right into the frying pan of SEC governance known as the Bama rule.

I cannot stand the stranglehold that Bama and Kentucky have over the SEC. I think the SEC is just a better version of the SWC corruption.

If they can put a line on the video screen for the 1st down marker, they could do it for the video replay official at 4 yards from the LOS. Would allow the call to be made quickly from the booth.

This is an excellent idea!