If this isn’t appropriate, delete it

How has the national crisis affected you?

Im working from home (normally, I travel). My job security is fine.

Other than being bored to death, my wife and I are fine.

I refuse to look at my 401K.

Retired hunkered down in our condo doing great at social distancing. Fishing in our ponds daily.

Reading and watching movies.

Praying for healing.

2 Likes

Since there’s nothing else to talk about I’ll leave it up.

I’m staying with my parents who are both around 80. Mom is on medication that affects her immune system so she’s particularly vulnerable to the virus. So Dad decided to self quarantine. I’m their link to the outside world but I have to be extra careful not to bring it home, and I’m not venturing out much either.

I’ve been contacted about joining medical virus response teams to go anywhere that local providers are overwhelmed. We’ve seen it in Italy already and it’s likely here. Nothing beyond that initial contact though. If they want me to join a team I’ll go.

2 Likes

Swine, I admire you for taking care of your parents. I was so blessed to be able to spend a lot of quality time with both of mine before they passed. It was an honor to take care of them.

1 Like

My wife and I are both retired and in the so called “high risk group” due to multiple health issues for both! Wife rarely goes, and I travel daily to our post office to check mail, also infrequently to get groceries. We have no one to handle those chores for us but exercise an abundance of caution as much as practical when out. Mostly though we hunker-down and try to keep from agitating each other as much as possible.

Not much has changed for me, except my wife, who is a teacher, is home and it’s a little bit harder to get site-related work done during the day lol

I’m older and retired, so without baseball and dog shows there isn’t really anything left for me to do. This morning I had to stop and figure out what day it was. It all seems to run together.

I’m in the same boat Marty. I thought yesterday was Wednesday. My wife says I’m a Crazy Old Man… But on the other hand…

We have two daughters 41 and 39. Both of them have spent the last hour texting us to make sure we’re staying inside away from people. We’re in the high risk group (age and health issues) and they worry about us. We had to practically sign a blood oath to stay in the house. They will take care of grocery shopping and all other things that would take us out of the house.

We always hav felt loved by these two wonderful daughters, son-in-laws and grands. But tonight we feel loved like never before.

Jeff…I guarantee your folks feel very loved by your attention to their needs. Hats off to you!

I’m holed up in the sweet little city of Sainte Genevieve MO. Having given up wild women, fast cars and Saturday night bar fights for Lent, my life was pretty dull before this. Now I’ve lost most of my remaining simple little pleasures, and quite a bit of money. I still have access to my church’s adoration chapel and I go every day for at least an hour to pray and meditate. I ride my bike when the weather is decent, and listen to a wide variety of music.I try to strike a balance between staying informed about the virus and not overexposing myself to awfulness of it all.

Wife and I are both in our mid 50s, into our third year of retirement, empty nesters; physically fit, no underlying health conditions, take no regular meds. Pretty much keep to ourselves this time of year (we still have snow), so not much chance of being infected … nor worried about severity even if we did.

Biggest Negative Impacts:
Had to cancel 3 upcoming overseas vacations.
No more dining out; still do takeout.
Net worth has definitely taken a hit. (Though we’ve been way past due for this.)

Biggest Positive Impact:
Wife and I are spending more quality time together; reading; streaming movies; playing pool, shuffleboard, darts, cards, chess; more snowshoeing outings; more bubble baths and wine/chocolate by the fireplace.

Our pantries are stocked with 3-4 months worth of supplies, so except for fresh produce, we’re prepared to ride out a temporary total lockdown. I’ve noticed local stores starting to run dangerously low on food; I shudder to think what will happen when those stores can no longer meet demand, or be ordered closed, as I’m told is aleady happening up the coast in WA.

Aloha,

I work at the Pearl Harbor waterfront directly in support of our Fleet and Marine Corps. The Navy is trying to establish social distancing for the ashore commands. However, the biggest impact is on the deployed ships. Most if not all are currently either not allowed to pull into port, or if allowed, not allowed to leave the pier or interact with anyone not assigned to the ship. This is a huge hit on morale and sanity. Eventually with too many consecutive days at sea their crew well begin to lose productivity. I have personally witnessed that affect during some of my 14 naval deployments.
As for the home front. My 19-year old daughter returned from the UA. Greatly enjoyed Fayetteville and college life. Was blessed to be allowed to be a team manager for the Women’s Track and Field Team. Being born and reared in Hawaii, her first year abroad was an eye opener. She constantly remarked about how genuine, sincere and nice the people of Arkansas treated her. And of course, she loved the food. But she was devastated that the SEC cancelled the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championships and the NCAA cancelled all Spring sports. It greatly affects the young athletes in aspiring not just for championships but also for the summer Olympics and possibly professional careers.
My 18-year HS senior son has seen his senior year prom cancelled and possibly his graduation ceremony. His track season has also been cancelled. He is not a happy camper.
My beautiful wife is unemployed for at least two weeks as all of the Malls and most of the retail stores have closed. She is catching up on her rest and her to “due” lists and enjoying the company of our children and puppies.
As for me, I guess I have experienced so much in my lifetime that I tend to look at things in a different perspective or context. IMHO, sooner rather than later, life must go on. The collapse of our economy, loss of one-half of our stock market, millions unemployed and thousands of bankrupt companies is a cost too much to bear for the minimal lives lost to the Wuhan Virus.
If we are not too careful, if we take the mitigation efforts too far, the cure will far out weigh the prevention of lives. As most of us know, the vast majority of deaths to this virus are senior citizens with one or more pre- existing conditions. Everyday we lose people to auto accidents but we don’t shut down driving. We lose thousands to lung cancer (including both of my parents at the age of 65) but allow smoking. We lose thousands to illegal drug use but condone it. At some point we need to be practical, practice proper safe daily routine and carry on.
GHG!

3 Likes

I’m finally almost caught up with planting my Spring garden (tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, squash, cucumbers, green beans, spinach). Still have to plant zucchini, butternut squash, okra, and eggplant. Very much enjoying the Swiss chard, leaf lettuce, cabbage, and wonderful strawberries that are already coming in. It’s a great hobby to have during these trying times.

And a good ole Southern howdy back at you, guynhawaii,
We are each entitled to our own opinion, and while possibly disagreeing with yours in this case, feel free to continue to disagree with mine if you wish. I might first refer you to the line in the song of some years ago, “How many deaths does it take for us to know that too many people have died?” Next I will state that many people (myself included) consider COVID-19 to be a very serious disease. I have a Chinese doctor friend who went back to China when the virus first became rampant there, and she was part of very stringent measures being implemented to try to lessen the impact of this disease. As of yesterday, these measures (much more stringent than anything we have done to this point) resulted in no new cases being reported. Italy was reportedly much more lax in their response, and cases continue to skyrocket there, with the reported deaths to date being more than in all of China, though Italy’s population is many times less than China. We have a long way to go, here and elsewhere, and I do not believe that the loss of life will be “minimal”, though I will grant you that the financial impact on many is and will be substantial. Since there is little or nothing that you or I can do to change what is and will be, let’s decide at a later date if it was all worth it.

Currently stuck in a country that took pretty quick action to try to control the virus out break. All travel in & out of the country stopped on March 10th. Now getting thru the final quarantine stages and medical checks of a work force for those who came in late Feb & early March. Trying to keep morale up for those who aren’t able to go home as scheduled, several different nationalities at that. Keep em focused, slowing the pace, reassuring them they will be compensated well, and those stuck at home also. Our office practically empty as is our client’s also.
Was planning to come home for spring fishing, but oh well, I know I can fish for something whenever I make it back lol.
Visiting here quite often.

I understand everyone has his or her own news sources, but this seems to lay out nicely the risks/benefits of different courses of action. Upshot: act very swiftly and harshly now, we get a reprieve in 3-7 weeks. I hope the PTB make us do this:

1 Like

My wife and I have been methodically moving and discarding our 48 year collection of “stuff” in Joplin, Mo. to a lake cabin built back in the woods on Stockton lake. Unless wild turkeys, squirrels, bobcats, and a variety of wildlife are infected were ok. Crappie fishing is good and the walleye are making their move. My two daughters are trying to ground us from going out. I recently stopped smoking and have been gnawing on tree bark to quell the habit. Waiting for SpaceX to fire more satellites in orbit in hopes of some kind of internet connection. I found that I can practice hitting golf balls through 30 acres of woods and not hit a one, but if I go to the course I can hit every isolated tree on the course.

That’s not true Guy. There are plenty of people on respirators now who are nowhere near retirement age and have no pre-existing conditions. We’re only starting to find out how bad this might get. The asymptomatic carriers are particularly scary. They could infect many people and never know it.

We have been trying for 2 weeks to get set up at work to work from home. There have been tech issues. I think our tech guy got it figured out late Friday. We were ordered to start working from home as of Monday. We won’t make that, but should be able to start as of Tuesday. It will be strange working from home. I will still go in a couple times a week for a few hours.

Fitness center closed, movies closed, church online, restaurants closed or take out only, etc, Inconvenienced? Sure. Major life interruption? No. Less interruption than a snow storm (but it will clearly last longer).

The biggest deal? And a real deal, my retirement (which was about 5 years away I had hoped) is probably been delayed by several years due to the market crash. I know people say it will come back, and I don’t doubt it will, but it will take a while and I think it puts me several years behind where I would have been without this,

I’m a 67 year old trk driver AND a heavy smoker,…Working about 55 hrs a week. Take all precautions I can but the freight must flow,(and bills must be paid :slightly_smiling_face:)…You do what you have to do in this world to get by…

Seminole County Road dept. (Florida) was more concerned with completing road projects as we were made aware of the “social/work distancing” but didn’t bother to implement it until this coming Monday.

We were informed in a crowded work trailer yesterday near the end of the day as the supervisors and management were laughing it up as a joke.