If Saban wins Nat Title Game this year?

Does Sabin retire after a national title win this year?

Would that tie him with the Bear?

Looking forward to his retirement

That will be a glorious day when he retires. Although, I want to beat them at least once with Saban as the HC. Just not sure that will ever happen. Also, I fully expect Dabo Swinney to be the next HC at Alabama.

Why would Dabo leave Death Valley? He’s already at a school that can win an NC and contend for more on a yearly basis. The Clemson fans love him. He’s making a ton of money. If he goes to Bama, he’d just be the guy replacing Saban, and the comparisons wouldn’t always be flattering. There’s a reason JFB never seriously entertained the offers to go back to Georgia Tech and be the guy replacing Bobby Dodd. He knew he had a good thing where he was.

Nope

What Swine Fusion said.

I don’t think he retires. I think something happens to make him step down. If he wins another title, I think he’s going to just try to win another one. I figure it will be health related. He’s doing what he loves and probably the only thing that he knows how to do, just roar along consuming everything in his path.

Agree with Clay & Jeff. Saban ain’t retiring anytime soon & Dabo ain’t leavin’ Clemson for Bama if he did

As much as I hate to say it, even if he does retire, unless Bama hires another Mike Shula, they are going to still be Bama. Sabin is clearly a great coach, but he didn’t win any national titles at Michigan State. He did at LSU and now has set the world on fire at Bama. I wish it wasn’t true, but I think it says as much about LSU and Bama as it does about Sabin.

An adequate coach can win big at Bama, a good coach can win very big at Bama, at great coach will dominate at Bama.

Can you imagine the pressure that Saban’s replacement will have whenever he does leave Alabama? Indeed, an average coach may still be able to win at Bama, but if there’s any sign of slipping, as in a 10-win season instead of 11 or 12, or even losing back-to-back years to LSU, the pressure will definitely ratchet up.

Here’s the deal on Bama, there have been more cases of coaches failing to live up to expectations than those who did. Franchione, Dubose, Shula and others slipped below what Alabama would expect. I think there is a better than 50-50 chance the next coach fails to live up to those standards. It’s harder to do than most think, even at Alabama. Head coach at Alabama will have all kinds of pressures. The decisions a head coach has to make on a minute-by-minute basis can spiral a program down pretty fast. Get a few of them wrong, and it gets out of control in a hurry.

[quote]
[/quote]

I get it that coaches can get it wrong, I think you can win at Bama a lot easier than other places. I don’t think Gene Stallings was a great head coach. He won at Bama. He was 27–45–1, at A&M, 23–34–1 with the Rams. The only place he won as a head coach was at Bama.

Of those the failed at Bama, Franchione was the one surprise to me. I thought he was a very good coach, but, he failed at A&M too, so I think I was wrong.

Is there extra pressure at Bama? OH YES. But can you win 10 or 11 games there (which I get many times won’t be enough) easier than anywhere else in the SEC? Yes.

I don’t see Saban going anywhere any time soon. I’ve never heard him acknowledge that he is close to slowing down. My guess is that he’s there at least four or five more seasons.

I get it that coaches can get it wrong, I think you can win at Bama a lot easier than other places. I don’t think Gene Stallings was a great head coach. He won at Bama. He was 27–45–1, at A&M, 23–34–1 with the Rams. The only place he won as a head coach was at Bama.

Of those the failed at Bama, Franchione was the one surprise to me. I thought he was a very good coach, but, he failed at A&M too, so I think I was wrong.

Is there extra pressure at Bama? OH YES. But can you win 10 or 11 games there (which I get many times won’t be enough) easier than anywhere else in the SEC? Yes.
[/quote]

No doubt at all it’s easier to win at Bama than most places. Still, though, they can screw up with coaches, too. In their history they’ve only had two coaches live up to the Bear’s standards: the Bear & Saban. (Yeah, I know Stalling won an NC, but it’s quite unlikely he’d have lived up to expectations very long after that. He didn’t enjoy the mystique Saban enjoys.)

honestly… this is a heckuva post

i might claim this quote as my own

I so hope you’re wrong

But I fear your right - you live this business

Sabin now is the God Fathet of recruiting in the south - no nation - like Coach Royal in Texas she walks in the room offers and gets who ever he wants

As long as Sabin is at Bama Arkansas will be competing for left overs in talent and I Sabah wants an Arkansas talent he will get them too

We need Sabin gone

You all can say what you want about Dabo but living in Tuscaloosa I can say it is the only name that Bama fans want to eventually replace Saban. And Dabo has been asked about the possibility point blank and will not deny the possibility. He is from Alabama, played at Alabama, his coaching career started at Alabama, and money talks. Alabama would pay him whatever he wants. We will see.

Bama and the Saban recruiting machine is from another planet. They signed Five Five Stars last February and another fourteen or so Four Stars (depending on the rating service). They convinced additional Four stars into grey shirting because of scholarship limitations and then Saban runs off several every year to get back unproductive scholarships. It’s hard to see how they ever lose a game, and the SEC is their playground. The Bear’s records will be falling it’s only a matter of time and Saban’s only goal in life is to win the next game… he will be around far too long and SEC football will not be fun for the rest of us.

I fear you are correct

It’s like Coach Royal in the old days

He would offer and kids would commit first visit and the rest of the SWC had to build teams from the leftovers

I think Coach Bret admission that he has to go to a 3-4 defense is admission to that (He ref a team with 16 defensive linemen in one program)

Also - Coach Bret I suspect now realizes Zeus he isn’t at Wisconsin where there are large linemen all over the place that building the depth on the OLine that he had at Wisconsin may not be possible at Arkansas

Me - what ever it takes that legal / just win

He may do it. All the connections you mention are a huge draw and everyone always wants more money. I still think, in the long run, he would be happier at Clemson. Easier conference to win, easier path to the playoffs, less pressure, and still lots of money.

I’m with you 85, Dabo is already gone he just hasn’t left yet,Clemson will wake up one day and say where’s Dabo and that day will be the morning after Saban announces he’s retiring!! WPS