If CLykes wants to play at the next level

… he will need to learn what an ASSIST is … it’s early, but 3 assists in 3 games is not what Muss wants from one of his top 3 guards. JD started his Razorback career the same way (a.k.a. “black hole”) and has now blossomed into a key contributor even on off-shooting nights. If Chris can do the same, Arkansas could have another long run. On at least 3 drives to the hole where Lykes forced the issue and missed, he had a wide open Hog on the 3pt line … UNI will be a great teaching film for Muss and his staff.

That said, I am glad CLykes is on my favorite team !!

Wax

3 Likes

Same thoughts I had as I watching the game last night. In a close game late you cannot reverse spin to the baseline and end up facing the baseline of the back court. They trap and the ball is turned over on a possession count.

Yeah, CLykes has a little of that Cortney Fortson “ball-hoggishness.” Hopefully, Muss can cure him of that. The offense stagnates at times when he’s the primary ballhandler.

But, the A/TO ratio the last 2 games has been outstanding, so this isn’t a topic that needs to be beaten to death.

I think the thing with him is Muss expects him to give a spark when he comes in the game and naturally him being a shooter is doing just that.
I think if he started the game he would be more team oriented but coming in like he is he’s expected to provide an offensive spark or so it sounds like when I hear Miss talking about him

2 Likes

Lykes scored 26 points on just 16 shots, including 4-7 from 3-point range. Not many times last night would I have wanted him to pass to another player who was not hitting his shots like Chris was.

Of course he made a couple judgement errors on his drives, even on that one he made that ended up #1 on sports center. He was the offensive sparkplug this team needed last night. I’ll bet that Muss was ecstatic about the way Lykes played last night, despite a few questionable drives.

Wax, I have always agreed with 99.9% of all your posts. You also didn’t post anything that was not true in this post. It just seemed a bit ill-timed after the great game Lykes played last night.

1 Like

Fair enough … but I believe my original thought that Chris will need to up his assist game to get to the next level or help the Hogs achieve a deep tourney run will prove to be accurate. Muss and his staff are all about player development, so I’m sure they’re working with him on it. A timely assist or two can still spark a team when shots aren’t falling.

Selfishly, I would love CLykes to be mentioned by the end of the season alongside Kareem Reid and Courtney Fortson as one of the best small guards to play for the Razorbacks (it would also mean the team had a good year). Reid and Fortson own 4 of the top 10 season assist records for Arkansas while Lykes may have the edge as a scorer … but watch out if he adds 3-4 assists per game to his resume!

Wax

2 Likes

Muss was thrilled with Lykes’ play, cuz he said so in his post-game presser. “Phenomenal” I believe was the word Muss used to describe him last nite. But we want to see CLykes involve his teammates more on O when he’s primary ballhandler.

I agree with you youdaman.

That’s exactly right per Muss himself.

He would love to see more assists, but that’s not his main focus for Lykes right now.

3 Likes

I am not sure how making JD an assist guy is going to work out once the competition heats up. It all sounds good against the UNIs of college basketball. Right now he is playing on instincts and shoots whenever he feels right, open or not. Let’s see what Muss does.

As far as Lykes, he has played like this in his entire Miami career. We praise Muss for how well he scouts and analyses players. So I have to think Muss knew exactly what he was getting when he signed him and knew that he had him for just one season, I of course could be wrong on this, but I don’t think Muss will try to change Lykes much other than his defense.

1 Like

Lykes did lead Miami in scoring his last full season. But, he also led them in assists.

It’s almost like this thread has presented Lykes as only a shooter and scorer. At Miami he was a typical scoring PG. He also averaged over 3 assists a game, which is exactly what the OP was asking for.

1 Like

On a night when the shots were not falling, CLykes was still a key factor in the Hogs’ win over Cincy … 3 assists / 0 turnovers … 8-10 from the line … 15 points … POINT GUARD

Wax

2 Likes

He seems to be gaining confidence and more of an understanding of what Muss wants from him. It should only get better as the season goes on. This team has a lot more answers than questions right now. Fighting for minutes makes everyone try to work harder or get splinters.

1 Like

Looks more like a two than a one. What we’d heard all along. Either way, he’s an asset.

Yep. I’ve come around on Lykes. Team really needs his scoring, driving ability, and clutch FT shooting. We don’t beat Cincy, K-State, or UNI w/o him.

In my opinion, as a currently defined PG, Devo needs to play PG, not SG. Push the ball, look for good passes, penetrate inside 15 feet and take “his” shot when it’s there (sort of Tate’s role from last year). I feel he’s trying to be a Notae, he should be Devo. All of that’s a lot of words to say, “let Lykes and Notae play the 2”.