I thought the plan was to play tough D?

How many years are we going to let teams

Break the press with ease
Have non contested three’s
Drive the lane

I don’t know, but I have yet to see the logic of sending a great shot blocker and rebounder Kingsley out to guard 20 ft from rim right before an uncontested layup time after time. Please tell me we won’t do this with Daniel Gafford next year.

Rotations are bad and I agree it’s troublesome seeing Kingsley continually on a guard 40 ft from the basket, getting beat off the dribble, which leads to a lay-up or uncontested 3.

I realize it is early and we are still mixing and matching rotations, but the defense has looked average to bad all year.

Preseason accolades seem to have totally freaked out Moses Kingsley. Him falling apart was the last thing the Hogs needed to happen.

Kingsley needs to be, first and foremost, a rim protector and rebounder. Whatever defensive concepts Arkansas employs should funnel shooters toward Kingsley. Blanket the perimeter, let the big man clean up messes.

Arkansas has the guards to contest all perimeter shots, should they want to do that. Pressure defense ain’t happening here. Mouth St. Mary’s had 11 turnovers, folks. They are a very ordinary ballhandling team.

MSM made more than 50% of its 2-point shots, raising its season average to 41%. That was the second time all season that MSM had broken 50%. The Mountaineers also made 10 threes, second-highest total for them all season. Their other highs occurred against lesser opponents.

I do not understand what has happened to Mike Anderson. He has lost his defensive mojo. The pattern is so ingrained now, it’s not like we are going to see an overnight change anymore. Even the 2014-15 team was 67th in defensive efficiency.

Where the Hogs stack up statistically matters less than the fact that opponents are exploiting glaring flaws. Arkansas does not appear to know how to do what it’s trying to do on defense.

This could be a very good scoring team, if Kingsley were well integrated into the halfcourt offense and if the motion were producing more open looks at threes. Seems like the same thing every year - can MA find player rotations that work on defense without gimping the scoring?

My son texted me during game last night. Said we aren’t nearly as good as I thought we would be, looks the same as last years team. My text back to him, give the players a little time to overcome the coaching they are receiving. Lol. I predicted an elite 8 team. Yep, bought the hype. And it’s still early in the year. They have time to jell. But 2 glaring weaknesses we have are defense and half court offense. To be touted and advertised as a defense first coach, and he speaks about it every press conference, our defense has been sub par to put it mildly in his entire tenure here. We give up wide open 3’s at an alarming rate. Just pitiful. And seems everyone knows why but the coach. Break our press and attack us. 2 things will happen. You get a wide open look or you get fouled. Why Kingsley was on the front end of press is beyond me. I would want my shot blocker on the back end guarding basket. So much for logic. Half court offense is just stagnant. Thank goodness we have some one on one players cause I’m not sure what our half court is designed to do. I saw one high low play last night. Kingsley catching ball in wing or near 3 point line. Not many screens set. heck we get called for illegal screens anyway. few backdoor cuts. Now before someone says I’m totally negative, I thought their zone defense helped on the threes. And when they can run they are pretty good.

Anyone who predicted an Elite Eight was hopeful, but not realistic in my opinion.

I think they are better - based on my observations from the pre-Spain practices, the 4 games in Spain and the Red-White game, the two exhibition games and the five regular season games.

If I based it on last night, I might agree with your son, but I prefer to judge the full body of work.

I know it is easy to fall back on last season after the loss at Minnesota, but I think that would not be an objective look at it.

Base that on eight new players and two of the five returnees not playing up to the level at this point.

I did say it was early. And w proper coaching this team has a lot of pieces in place. Kingsley might be pressing a bit but I think it’s a combination of that and the fact we have a lot more scoring options. I think defensively they have the ability but it’s a personal thing w me but I just don’t like the way they switch screens and double team leaving open shooters , The 4 position until last night has just been foul prone from both players. Last night Thomas had a very good game w only 2 or 3 fouls. Thompson is solid as far as rebounding and passing. Cook is improving. If 23 could learn some man defense he would be awesome. I thought however he played better defense in the zone In fact I thought the entire team played better defense in the zone. Yes hopeful, realistic, probably not, but I think that is more to do w coaching than talent. We shall wait and see. Time will tell

Personally, this team, so far, is exactly what I expected. This many new players (most of them JC guys), this is what you get. I hope my low expectations are proven wrong. No one hopes that more than I do.

[quote=“Razorwill”]
My son texted me during game last night. Said we aren’t nearly as good as I thought we would be, looks the same as last years team. My text back to him, give the players a little time to overcome the coaching they are receiving. Lol. I predicted an elite 8 team. Yep, bought the hype. And it’s still early in the year. They have time to jell. But 2 glaring weaknesses we have are defense and half court offense. To be touted and advertised as a defense first coach, and he speaks about it every press conference, our defense has been sub par to put it mildly in his entire tenure here. We give up wide open 3’s at an alarming rate. Just pitiful. And seems everyone knows why but the coach. Break our press and attack us. 2 things will happen. You get a wide open look or you get fouled. Why Kingsley was on the front end of press is beyond me. I would want my shot blocker on the back end guarding basket. So much for logic. Half court offense is just stagnant. Thank goodness we have some one on one players cause I’m not sure what our half court is designed to do. I saw one high low play last night. Kingsley catching ball in wing or near 3 point line. Not many screens set. heck we get called for illegal screens anyway. few backdoor cuts. Now before someone says I’m totally negative, I thought their zone defense helped on the threes. And when they can run they are pretty good.
[/quote]
that is the basis of our offense. We are lost in the half court on both ends.

Reece said it, “the pattern is ingrained” and ineffective. Wearing out the other team with gambling traps is only occasionally effective. Solid straight up man and zone might serve us better, unleashing surprise traps and scrambled eggs defense at selected times, not the predictable all the time, enabling layups and open 3’s all game long.

When Arkansas hired Mike Anderson, it got its basketball identity back. Before that it was hard to tell what our style was and what we were trying to accomplish.

This basketball identity is what glued me to Arkansas basketball during the Nolan years. When they were looking to replace Pelphrey, I had hoped they would lure Bill Self back. But when that did not happen, I was pleased that they hired Mike and we got our identity back. I had enjoyed watching Mike employ that style at Missouri with success.

I am not a fan of the slogan “40 fastest” and wish they dump it, but everyone across the country now knows and identifies Arkansas basketball with its former identity. I for one hope that they don’t give up on that style this early, even though it doesn’t look pretty at times. These kids need to learn this style on the job by playing it and not by viewing film. Because once they learn it, it will be magic. Because sticking to the style provides clarity, self identity, attracts the right recruits and I am convinced to eventual success.

Now after few games into the conference schedule, if it appears that this set of players just cannot play this way and do not show the basketball IQ it takes to run this style, I would agree they should do something different.

What defense do you propose we run? Zone? That’s the only way we keep Moses down low.

Have you send Gafford play defense on his current team? Why do you think he can’t do both?

No disrespect meant for young Mr Gafford, but he ain’t exactly playing guys who he will play against next year. Big step up in talent.

Oh, he knows why. He gets up and stomps his foot and yells at his players every time they don’t execute the defense. The breakdown is them not executing the defense. That’s on everyone, players and coaches. But, don’t think he doesn’t know they problem. Now maybe he doesn’t know how to fix it, but he talks to his players like he knows. He makes defensive adjustments throughout the game to correct some problems. But the one thing I can say for sure is MA has not had a consistent group of players on the floor for 2-3 years. It seems every year we are losing major pieces and trying to replace. That’s hard to get consistency unless you are gett MCDAA’s. We aren’t. We need a leader on defense as much as one of offense, and I’m not sure who that will be. I really like bringing Barford and Macon off the bench with Cook and Bailey. That’s exciting to watch. I hope we see more Bailey tonight. We need Freshmen getting involved for futures sake.

Yes, have seen Gafford- very impressive player and look forward to his size, BB IQ, and skill added to the mix next year.

As to defense we play with Moses, most men he would be matched up on would not be 3 point shooters. It is his switches and doubles on guards on the perimeter where we are repeatedly exposed underneath.