I think I see why Jeff Long got that clause

That his contract at Kansas will be extended through the term of any NCAA penalty on the Prairie Chicken basketball program.

KU more or less confirmed that they have been subpoenaed by the FBI in the ongoing college hoops investigation. They usually don’t do that unless they strongly suspect fire under all the smoke.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 … obe-adidas”>https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/07/10/yahoo-sports-report-kansas-subpoenaed-fbi-probe-adidas</LINK_TEXT>

The University of Kansas tacitly acknowledged that it has been subpoenaed by the federal government in the ongoing federal basketball investigation, according to a recent response to a public records request.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-tacitly … 15144.html

Also on twitter for what that rumor mill is worth:
[attachment=0]post.JPG[/attachment]

I have to wonder on the truth of a raid on the office of Bill Self. I find
that hard to believe without a credible news source. Will have to watch
this closer I think. Twitter is not known for being a fountain of truth.

The other thing I find amusing is the person that tries to semi-justify it
by saying the other big schools do it. That is the wrong attitude, but I
would bet its one a vast majority even many of the fans of Arkansas
would have if it lead to success like Kansas has had in the past. Sad.

I think we’ve already seen that. A lot of people were ready to forgive anything Bobby Petrino did, from the affair to lying to his boss to being a completely poor excuse for a human being, as long as he won games. Not that far from excusing buying players, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we eventually learned BP did that too, given his lack of a moral compass.

I thought Petrino was a nice guy when I met him but your display of moral superiority has me thinking that anyone who is unfaithful to their significant other (and LIES about it :cry:) is despicable and shouldn’t have a job. Good thing you and those around you are free of sin, huh?

Where was this moral preening when Petrino was here winning ball games…

He lied to his boss, got caught doing it, and got canned for it. Try lying to the people you work for and see how long you last.

We didn’t know what BP was doing while he was doing it. Dudley knew about the affair, and I assume some others did, but it wasn’t being reported. We also didn’t know how he treated the people around him. Some tidbits leaked out about what was going on at the Cotton Bowl which were bad enough. Three months later he hit the ditch and everything else hit the fan. If we had known this, I absolutely would have been objecting, but not for the reason you think:

I frankly don’t care who sleeps with who, as long as they’re consenting adults. But the football coach and a young blonde staffer are not equals in this equation. Sleeping with someone who you have authority to fire or can get them fired is also known as sexual harassment, it happens to be illegal (violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964), and it gets the one in authority fired, sued or both. Lying to the boss about it isn’t too smart either but BP obviously had the same opinion of himself as you have of him: I’m BMFP, I win football games and I can do whatever I damn well please.

(Side note to Dudley: Have you ever thought maybe you should have written about what you did know? I understand why you didn’t; no access means no job. But…)

No, because I don’t work for TMZ and I don’t care who sleeps with who.

Several of us would have written about the situation if she had taken up residence in the job and office he set up for her, but the motorcycle hit the ditch right before that was to occur.

As for the other situations - Cotton Bowl, verbal and physical abuse of assistants and other situations that only a few know about - it was beginning to wear on my sense of should I or shouldn’t I.

I would have been crucified by those who just want to win, but likely been hailed by those who are not blinded by just that. It blew up before I came to a conclusion to do so or not.

Jeff, as you know, I have a lot of information from working in the athletic department that would be enlightening to many, but that was a work situation and not for public consumption.

I have weighed many things over the course since I moved into the work place, written about some, not about others because I didn’t think it rose to the level of news.

New media challenges me because that has become click bait, gotcha so-called journalism - something I am not in favor of in our business these days.

I still try to be fair and weigh the public’s right to know against privacy issues.

It’s become harder and harder.

[quote=“Hoggle”]

I thought Petrino was a nice guy when I met him but your display of moral superiority has me thinking that anyone who is unfaithful to their significant other (and LIES about it :cry:) is despicable and shouldn’t have a job. Good thing you and those around you are free of sin, huh?

Where was this moral preening when Petrino was here winning ball games…

[/quote]Making this an issue of infidelity is a tremendous over simplification and if this is how one sees it, a meeting of the minds is highly doubtful.

Understand that. It’s been a long time since I wrote every day for a paycheck, but I remember those kind of decisions, and I’m sure they’re not any easier in the TMZ era. Encountered one very early, when an 7 a.m. trip to the Fayetteville police department uncovered a report on a DUI citation for a local TV personality, who I know we both have known approximately forever. Should I or shouldn’t I? Of course, it’s possible in those days that a report in the Traveler would have gone no farther and no one would have noticed, but I didn’t feel right potentially destroying his career, and I didn’t write it.

Was that TV personality the same one who tended to wreck practically every news car he ever drove?

If he had that tendency I’m not aware of it, but I believe he was asked to take a puff into the Breathalyzer that particular night because he had wrecked his own vehicle.

Ok, I knew of one who did have that problem for the same reason you mentioned above. But I’m sure that’s nothing too surprising.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

Oh, it’s definitely not an issue of infidelity. What this this about is slinking out of the shadows and courageously proclaiming moral outrage… after the fact… when it doesn’t matter… so some can feel better about themselves. And if you question this you are not a good person like they are.

Chest thumping inspired by retroactive courage, insight and morality.

[quote=“Hoggle”]

Whatever. You’ve made it clear that, to paraphrase Trump, BP could shoot somebody in the middle of Dickson Street and you’d still support him as long as he won games.

Better to have retroactive standards than no standards at all, BTW.

[quote=“Hoggle”]

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

Oh, it’s definitely not an issue of infidelity. What this this about is slinking out of the shadows and courageously proclaiming moral outrage… after the fact… when it doesn’t matter… so some can feel better about themselves. And if you question this you are not a good person like they are.

Chest thumping inspired by retroactive courage, insight and morality.

[/quote]Not sure I get your righteous indignation, and not sure that is all bad. If this makes me one of your “not good persons”, guess I will have to work on it.

[quote=“Hoggle”]

I notice you did not bother to claim that BP did not lie to his boss, and do it in a way to embarrass his boss in public.

You also did not bother to make the silly argument raised by some in the weeks and months following the firing that it is generally okay to lie to your boss, that lying never justifies a firing, or that it was okay for BP to do it because he was winning football games. You did not even try to claim that under the circumstances that JL should have just docked his pay, reprimanded him, etc.

Instead, you just chose to double down on belittling those who supported the firing as being some kind of moral elitists. When you can’t argue the facts, attack the person.