I still don’t buy that “because we have Chase Hayden”..

we don’t need TJ Hammonds in the backfield. Hell why not have two of those type of scatbacks. I’m not down on Whaley, but he doesn’t have the burst or lateral quickness of those 2. Next season hopefully Hayden and Hammonds are 1A and 1B in the backfield.

While I’m on the topic of speed can we find a way to get Warren on the field for a jet sweep or 2.

I’m impressed with Warren. I don’t know if he’s a potential RB or WR, but he’s been great on KO returns two weeks in a row. OM finally decided to stop kicking to him. However, I agree Hammonds looked very good today. Regardless, I don’t feel qualified to criticize those kinds of coaching decisions. (However, even I wouldn’t have called that 4th & 1 play we ran.)

I agree that we should have used Hammonds more but I think the coaches felt more comfortable with Williams and Whaley because of their blocking abilities. That said, coach him up and get him on the field.

TJ Hammonds hasn’t played more at RB for several reasons.

1. By all accounts I heard on the hill, he didn’t practice well last year.
  2. They needed him more as a WR (until now anyway)…but he just didn’t take to that position.
  3. He still can’t really pass block. He will have to get that down to be an every down back.
  4. His ball security is much better. But it wasn’t good last year.
  5. More than anything…he’s not been able to stay healthy.

All that said…he is a natural with the ball in his hands. Leave him at RB. We will have a mice rotation again next year. And for the rest of this year for that matter.

[quote=“edwaco”]
I agree that we should have used Hammonds more but I think the coaches felt more comfortable with Williams and Whaley because of their blocking abilities. That said, coach him up and get him on the field.
[/quote]I have called for a bit of that - I call it the “H2-O” - since the first game this season. We saw a bit of it in the Aggie and NM State games, and it was successful.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9865&p=65323#p65323

I’ll bet we see that package a few times each game next year as well. Part of a balanced offense.

Hammonds is a baller. Need to get the ball in his hands.

Dan Enos thought Hammonds would be among the top playmakers on the team. As far as this season and not using him much at RB: One, TJ wanted to be a wide receiver. Two, he was hurt. He had knee surgery in August for the second straight season. That’s just bad luck. He hurt his foot when his knee was healthy and spent 2.5 weeks in a boot. All of that time missing practice is tough. He is rolling now.

Bielema said he’d give us the self scout yesterday. He said all of the plays TJ was in on were running plays. He knows the other team gets that info in 30 seconds when they feed the plays into the computer. The goal this week is to get him up to speed with the pass plays and protections.

Good problem to have in trying to get both on the field. The young talent on the team reminds me when Jarius Wright, Greg Childs and Joe Adams were coming up and you saw the big play ability at an early stage.

Watching Whaley, Williams, Hayden, and Hammonds. I’m not sure we shouldn’t be playing Hammonds and Hayden (when he returns) as the 1&2 RB, and Whaley as the change of pace or short yardage guy.

That’s what I think. Hammonds runs inside with toughness more than I anticipated. Once he gets pass pro down I think he and Hayden are the best options at HB. Whaley is a nice back, but I don’t see him with the same burst or wiggle.

I want to see hammonds return punts.

For whatever reason we put our least shifty guys at Pr. Henre Toliver, J Red, every year im like why the heck are they returning punts??

Need those fast shifty guys, Hammonds, Warren, Stewart.

[quote=“Bigtusk”]
I want to see hammonds return punts.

For whatever reason we put our least shifty guys at Pr. Henre Toliver, J Red, every year im like why the heck are they returning punts??

Need those fast shifty guys, Hammonds, Warren, Stewart.
[/quote]We put our BEST HANDS people on punt return; catching the ball is Job 1, 2 AND 3.

After that, it’s shiftiness and ball security during the run.

This is what is dictating the depth chart at return man.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Hammonds, Stewart and Warren play WR and hammonds also RB, its safe to say they have good hands.

We can’t play scared. Being too conservative is partly why our special teams has been abismal the past 4.5 years, have to get the playmakers the ball in space, like a Pr.

[quote=“Bigtusk”]

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Hammonds, Stewart and Warren play WR and hammonds also RB, its safe to say they have good hands.

We can’t play scared. Being too conservative is partly why our special teams has been abismal the past 4.5 years, have to get the playmakers the ball in space, like a Pr.
[/quote]Catching a punt, looking up at the sky while defenders are running full speed bearing down on you, is a special skill and not the same as catching passes. Sure, there are similar skills involved; but the trajectory of passes is different than a nose up or nose down spiral dropping out of the sky, and the defenders are running AT you, not with you.

There have been many a WR/DB that just didn’t do well catching punts consistently. Some have it. Some don’t.

And if you can’t catch punts consistently . . . the rest of your skills (speed, toughness, elusiveness) don’t really matter.

I heard on one of the TV programs yesterday that Hammonds has had some injuries (perhaps somewhat minor) that have kept him from being full speed. If so, that accounts for things. And it goes to one principle I always try to remember: the coaches have more information than I do & if I had their same expertise & information, I’d make the same decision.

The guy’s got talent, and like Chase, he gets the benefit of Whaley and D. Williams pounding the defense and “training” the eyes/reactions of the defense to the running game. He could run for a bunch of yards against CC this week, but I hope they get him a few touches at RB, a few pass plays, and let D. Williams and Whaley shoulder the load. With Hayden gone for the year, we really need Hammonds to be ready to go for those last three SEC games, when those chunk plays can make a huge difference.

I think Whaley could be a great fullback, but doubt he’d go for it.

Whaley is the best back on the team. He was rated the top back in Texas in High school and was wanted by all the big powers. He is the total package and would be much better with blocking.

Chase Hayden was a bright spot in several games until his injury. T.J. Hammonds was a bright spot last game. David Williams has been consistently good all season. I think this year Devwah and David are still our most “complete” backs. But it sure is nice to have Chase and T.J. in there for some speed and shiftiness that is really fun to watch.