I skipped out on the NFL today and

I never missed it a bit. My private little personal boycott
for them trying to politicize grown men playing a game
for a living.

Anyways, got my fill of football from the college ranks,
I can live without the NFL. Adios to the kneeling nellies!

haven’t watched in 4 weeks but find it amusing of all my friends who’ll watch the dallas cowboys because they won’t take a knee and think there’s nothing wrong with it…the cowboys might not…but i’d bet the other team did so you’re still supporting their "cause"don’t miss it one bit…

Had a great time in Baltimore for Ravens v Steelers. Saw plenty of people exercising their right to free speech, Alex Collins have a nice game, enjoy great weather and sadly a Ravens loss. Multiple military families were honored and a number of veterans were given standing ovations during timeouts. There was a flyover during the anthem. I never once got the sense that the military was being protested.

I have often wondered if those who were concerned about “protesting the flag” were also upset when the flag was used as a bikini or used to sell beer cans? How about when Baltimore Orioles fans accentuate (i.e. yell) the “OHHHHH!” when the song gets to “Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave…”?

Different strokes for different folks. We live in a great country.

I was of the opinion that Kaper Dum Dum’s original protest was a big Disrespect U to law enforcement, not the military. I’m not really sure what it is about anymore as all the Johnny Protest Lately’s hop on the bandwagon. Whatever it is ,I’m not watching and I’ve got plenty of better ways to spend my Sundays and Monday nights.

Nodding

To answer your first question, yes. Second one, not sure what you are talking about (not doubting it, just not sure of the situation) but probably yes. The third, interesting point. The Braves fans change it to “home of the braves.”

The question is, “is it disrespectful” and part of the answer (only part) comes from the intent of the person. Burning a flag to protest is very different from burning a flag in a flag retirement ceremony.

And yes, we live in a great country and yes all actions mentioned above are legal and should be.

But, I too chose not watch the NFL yesterday and I didn’t miss it at all. Actually got some work done around the house that otherwise wouldn’t have got done! The NFL won’t miss me, and I won’t miss it. No big deal either way.

Disagree on Kap’s original motivations. You have to remember, his first “protest” was after he lost his starting position and he sat, not kneeled. His own teammates ripped him for it (so did Stephen A Smith, who now sings his praises). It was only after the kneeling did he mention his “reasons” and quoted the Milwaukee incident, which doesn’t show racial discrimination or unfare treatment. Everyone would have been shot in that situation. Not just a “black guy.” The result was his jersey became the top seller in the NFL.

The current trend has nothing to do with Kap’s “racial injustice” claim, it has to do with Trump saying they’re disrespectful and SOB’s. Majority have never gave money like Kap has (or knelt or linked arms), most of those complaining are just as disrespectful when the flag is brought out and they haven’t gave money either. As for Kap, he said he wanted racial equality, his million doesn’t just go to “black” families. His charities go across the board to people in every demographic (INCLUDING DISABLED VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS). How many of the “protestors” or “anti protestors” are doing that? None, shows you what they ALL really think.

Edit: I have said this before and I’ll say it again. I am 100% disabled vet, I’ve folded flags, and I’ve taken a knee and presented the flag to a loved one, if you think only the players are being disrespectful maybe you should open your eyes and ears.

Well Bake you just shed some true light on the subject.

https://twitter.com/SNFonNBC/status/912101563644002304

Still None, go back read what I said he did, and listen to what they say. There is a BIG difference. If you don’t notice pm me and I’ll explain.

I watched a ton of games on Sunday.

Saw great catches by former Arkansas tight ends Hunter Henry and A.J. Derby.

Some great runs by Alex Collins.

Lots of great plays and great games.

People certainly have a right to not watch if they don’t want to, but Hunter, A.J., Alex and so many others haven’t done anything wrong, so why should I punish them by not watching because of the actions of a few?

I also really enjoy sports.

I assume I’m one of a very few who really does not feel strongly one way or the other about what the players are doing.

I still enjoy watching the NFL; watched most of two games yesterday. I understand that people associated with the game have criminal backgrounds, opinions, side dealings, endorsements, etc., that I may not agree with or condone, but I am able to separate that from the game. If I choose to be offended by every associated thing or person counter to my beliefs, there is not going to be much left to enjoy in life.

Didn’t see HH’s catch, did see Derby’s. Alex did well as well. You’re right the majority of those in the NFL have done nothing wrong. Many are trying “to do the right” thing.

I also enjoy sports, all except that crappy baseball team from St Louis :wink:

I watched the games, too, the protests really don’t bother me one way or the other. I am really not interested in the player’s political opinions or views on society, nor do I really care what the talking heads/analysts have to say about it. I just tend to change channels when all the nonsense starts. I personally think it’s disrespectful, but I’m not going to stop watching the NFL over it, and I’m not going to change my personal views on police interaction with minorities because a bunch of football players kneel during the national anthem.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, and has a right to express that opinion. Whether your employer wants you spouting off on your political/societal views at work is up to your employer. If the employer lets it go, and it makes customers mad, then the employer has to live with that. If the employer says I’m canning you for costing me business, that really does not bother me either.

I have boycotted the NFL and NBA for years. Not for any political reason at all. I’m just not interested. I’m probably even less interested in MLB. Personally I love college sports. It’s just my personal choice.

I was much offended by Colin dissing law enforcement. But now it’s a political football (pun intended).

I generally agree about a person’s right to protest but nobody has the right to protest whenever and wherever they choose. Here is my concern with the protests…If a fan doesn’t agree with the protests (certainly their right) and attends an NFL game and wants to stand and salute during the anthem, why would they be forced to view the protest? They look down at the flag on the field and are forced to view the protest. Where is their right to not be forced to view another’s protest?

Faulty logic there, Navy. The fan isn’t forced to view the protest. One, the fan doesn’t have to go. Second, even if he goes, the fan doesn’t have to watch the players. (The flag is usually on a pole, not next to the players.) Third, if that’s too much of a problem, face the flag, close your eyes, put your hand over your heart. Finally, while no one can truly force you to watch or listen to a protest, sometimes logistics make it hard to avoid seeing or hearing one. The Constitution doesn’t provide protection from ever being offended by someone else’s protest or conduct. It provides the right to protest. That means sometimes we just have to endure being offended. Just like one might be offended by someone using salty language.

I’ve also got no problem from a legal standpoint with fans booing the players who choose to kneel. Free speech cuts both ways. There is nothing in the law that says any one has to stand silently and respectfully while you express your views in public. You have just as much right to cut loose with your own expressions of disagreement. You just can’t get violent or incite others to do so. But those who protest should not be shocked and offended when others publicly disagree and do so in a very personal way. And if the fan next to you says your an idiot for booing the players, he’s got the right to do that too.

You also don’t have any right to keep me from complaining to your boss because I don’t like you wearing your “Gun owners are idiots” tee shirt while working behind the counter at Burger King, or telling the bakery owner that I won’t buy any more of her cupcakes as long as she refuses to make wedding cakes for same sex couples. Your speech is protected from government interference and violence from your fellows, but you have no corresponding right to say what you like and expect there to be no consequence in your personal life other than praise and admiration. People are going to vote with their pocketbooks, and that can be tough on those who are on the wrong side of the vote.

Now all of this stuff goes to what’s legal and what’s not, and what’s protected under the law and what’s not. There is a separate question over whether any of these perfectly legal things are what folks ought to do in a polite, tolerant and generally civilized society. Every person has to decide whether in good conscious they should do what they legally can do, and whether it is worth the cost to do it.

Best post I have read in awhile! Great job.

Respecting your opinion but realizing it is no better than anyone else’s, it is not true in that the flag is almost always presented by a color guard (or now it is fashionable to have a full-field length flag). High school maybe has flagpole but others almost always have flag/color guard on field. You have to look at the field and see…whatever…to view the flag.

Oh, the flag etiquette I was taught in the military…I will never close my eyes when looking at the flag.