I rarely post and I’ll try to be brief

1. I’m a pessimist and in August I had us going 6-6 this year. That’s probably going to take a buncha guys getting healthy to make it.
  2. Don’t @ me, but I thought we had to stay in the three man line to have a chance of beating State. The thought process in running that look against their offense is simple. You’re going to give up yards….lots of yards. BUT…. several times during the game you’ll get a shot at a crossing receiver to either break up a pass or knock the ball loose for a fumble. We didn’t do that much. Also several times during the game a defender will guess right and jump a route….hopefully get a pick. We had two of those…Clark and Sanders…both got two hands on the ball. Neither held on. Huge plays…we didn’t make them…but they were the type of play you’ll occasionally get playing the 8-men back scheme. Then two other times we had defenders get two hands on the ball….two hands…Chavis and Blair. One ended up being a State touchdown, the other allowed them to score a TD a play or two later. All four were enormous opportunities. All four we failed to convert on. In that scheme, you HAVE to convert at least two of those. We didn’t.
  3. I love great athletes with speed. Hornsby checks both boxes. BUT…he’s gotta get more accurate on the short stuff. Got to. That’s probably what they’re seeing in practice…accuracy is the biggest physical attribute a QB must have. He’s not there by any means. The missed TD pass on the goal line was the most egregious…a guaranteed six points at a vital time….good play call…good execution by the other ten guys… but a really poor throw.
  4. I know we all wanted to get a pass rush. CSP talked about our intention to do that in practice all week…to turn Sanders loose a few times. But, when Slusher couldn’t go, they had to put it on the shelf and wait for another day. I know…I know…we still could have tried a few, but the DB’s are so thin that Odom just couldn’t pull the trigger on a blitz. I know one other thing: Odom knows a lot more about football than I do and wants to win even more than I do. If he thought there was a reasonable chance of winning by blitzing and going to a man defense, he would have. There’s no way it could have worked many times…and the downside is big plays…game killing plays if you’re an Arkansas fan.
  5. I, like many of you, question running Dubinion up the middle from the 1 yard line. For me it should have been Dominique. But, my theory is that he’s still not nearly 100%. Yes, he’s had a few good plays in the last few games, but he’s not the guy he was last year. Not even close. CSP doesn’t mention it in the pressers, but I think there’s still something wrong with DJ and Sam’s not gonna talk about it.
    6.Every one blasts the OC for a bad play call when a play doesn’t work. That’s a universal trait among avid fans. That said, almost every failed play is the result of a missed assignment, a missed block, a bad read by the QB, a bad decision by a RB, a bad route by a WR. YES, ITS UP TO THE COACHES TO FIX IT. But in a game with 11 guys having to do their jobs for most plays to succeed, the margin of error is tiny…particularly in the SEC West.
  6. The kickoff return at the beginning of the second half was HUGE. CSP talked about how we practice that situation every week. But, we blew it. A good drive and a score to open the half would have changed momentum… just like the four missed Int’s….and the missed pass attempt at the goal line. Six plays….but all went the other way.
  7. On the road….loud crowd…inexperienced backup QB… and we still had 480 yards total offense against a stout D. But it’s all about the points, isn’t it?
  8. I love the Razorbacks. Win or lose. But we’re at a tipping point. There are probably a few players who are getting ready to check out…a bad locker room could turn this into a 4-8 season real quick. I won’t ask you not to criticize the coaches…or even the players. But literally none of the criticisms I read, particularly on social media, are helping fix this. But, I’ll defend your right to say it until I take my last breath.
  9. Please don’t compare what we’ve seen the last three weeks to the Chad Morris era. It’s not even close. We have far better coaches and players now. Seriously better. We’d be 0-6 right now and the closest we’d have come would have been against Missouri State…and it wouldn’t have been real close.
  10. No need to tell me that my observations are wrong. They’re opinions. I’m 66…won’t be around this Earth much longer, so you won’t change my mind…and I won’t change yours. But, as long as the players play hard….stay out of jail…represent the state well….and don’t turn into knuckleheads…I’ll watch every play of every game…won’t be able to eat on game day until the game is over…wear my lucky shirt (I’m on my fourth lucky shirt this season)….and I’ll pull for the Hogs…heart pounding on every dang play.
30 Likes

Nice post.

1 Like

Great post, I know what 66 feels like for sure, thanks! WPS

2 Likes

It’s all about the points. Nice post.

4 Likes

Yeah, that dang scoreboard screws up some really fun games at times.:joy:

3 Likes

@elihogs nice post. I’m on my 3rd lucky shirt.

3 Likes

I’d have thought by this age that I’d find something better to do than stress over a bunch of college kids playing a game. I guess wisdom hasn’t aged like my body has.

2 Likes

I’m 68 and not checking out on life just yet. Just picking my spots. 66 is the new 39. Hang tough.

10 Likes

I found that I like fly fishing until November then I’m often caught out following a bird dog across the country side! WPS

3 Likes

Shirts could be working better than you think, unless you went through your fifth pair of undershorts in just the last game!

2 Likes

I’ve got you by more than a decade, so you’re still a young un’ with lots of time left.

Thanks for the outstanding, well thought out post. Very refreshing.

2 Likes

I’m with you Harley, some of those young ones are pretty sharp.

2 Likes

Good post. Agree with a lot of what was said. I am 66 also and have watched a lot of Razorback football. We have good coaches and some very good players in key skill positions. Bad luck against A&M and losing key players to injury has thrown a monkey wrench into our season. Still a lot to play for and hopefully we finish the last half of the season strong. I will be in Provo Saturday and hopeful we can pull out this win.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed reading this. It’s what I would have liked to have written. And since I lack that ability, it’s reason I’ve stepped aside. I am glad I looked at the forum tonight to see this.

FYI, there is no one in the media - no one - writing anything like this.

Solid gold.

10 Likes

You older guys are pretty sharp too. Thanks for showing this 50 year old that I might still have at least 25 years to figure out what the hell I’m doing.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short, Clay. I still love to read anything you write.

3 Likes

Love the post!
I’m 70, and I guess by adopting Clays rationale, I’m only 43! I feel better already!!!

3 Likes

Nice post and agree with your logic on the coaches logic.

2 Likes

Wait until you are 88 then you can say you are old…Reed

5 Likes

Although I disagree a bit on 8, I don’t think we’ll see lack of heart, great post. Well said.

2 Likes