I personally feel the portal thing

is getting out of hand and could easily become a nightmare. I fear it is becoming just another way to try to get into the NFL for a lot of players. But I think it is getting excessive already.

With every process change comes the possibility of unintended consequences. I like the portal; it gives the student athlete more/easier options … and can be a boon for staffs savvy enough to “work it” … kinda like our very own Muss.

I don’t feel it’s necessarily a bad thing if the portal becomes a major player in roster management going forward.

One downside is mid majors and small schools will lose more great players. But to be fair they lose good coaches regularly that move to big time schools.

I agree with both you guys, I just fear it might become unmanagable.

I’m all for it.

For too long the schools and coaches have had all the powers and $$$ and the student athletes too little.

Don’t take that to mean I think players should be paid, but there are many other aspects that have been too limited.

If it keeps growing in football like it is in basketball won’t they eventually have to do away with the “only 25 scholarships” in a year for football. What if a school loses 20-30 players to the portal in successive years. If they are limited to only 25 initial scholarships, they will be left with only 60 or 70 total scholarships instead of the allowed 85. That certainly won’t be an even playing field.

The unmitigated audacity …

We’ll see.

If you kept everybody around each year, you would have somewhere between 100 to 125 players on a roster in a given year instead of 85.

So there has always been turnover - either the players being asked or pushed to leave by coaches or doing it on their own.

The chance they’ll raise the signing limit is approximately the same as that Herve’ Villachaize will dunk a basketball tomorrow (Google him if the name doesn’t ring a bell, and then remember he’s dead). As Dudley pointed out, with redshirts the 25 limit could give you 125 people on scholarship, so unless you held your classes to 17-21 a year, there was always a need for people to leave. There still is. The portal just streamlines the process.

While this is good for student athletes as many have pointed out, it is also good for coaches since they can now stock their rosters with transfers that have already proven at Div One level rather than taking a risk on a two or three star freshman that shows potential and upside.

Over time, all coaches will adopt that approach since it is lower risk and it may narrow the market coming out of high schools for players like Adrio Bailey and Mason Jones.

Not sure what the numbers could be in football but in basketball, I can easily see 35 to 40% of the roster made up of grad transfers and transfers sitting out a year.

There are probably more pluses than minuses with the ease in transferring,

However, I can see where it will make it more difficult on coaches. They could easily become over concerned with “offending” players and their handlers with good , tough coaching for fear they will leave.

For a grad transfer, I don’t see it being an issue. If a player leaves after getting his degree, more power to him. A school had him for three to four years (if he used a redshirt). I don’t really see a problem. If he doesn’t like where he’s at, there are reasons he left. He didn’t like the coach or saw a better opportunity.

I don’t see it much different than a player leaving after three years to try the NFL.

That seems crushing if you are low on talent. It probably seems pretty crushing to some LSU fans right now, but they will develop more. Losing 4-8 players early does sound crushing, but we don’t feel sorry for them, do we?

Ultimately, Ohio State did not recognize what they had in Joe Burrow. That’s on Ohio State. And, if you have a QB sitting on the bench like they did at Ohio State and Georgia, they ought to be able to leave.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.