I’m curious....

Is there anyone on this board who honestly does not feel that Mike Anderson has generally underachieved in his 7 years here?
More specifically, if someone had told you seven years ago this would be where we are, would you have taken it?
Me? I think I would have said nope, we deserve better. Let’s give someone else a shot. I think if most are honest with themselves they’d say the same. Even Dudley wrote in his article recently a first round exit would be considered well shy of expectations.

Do I like Mike? Sure. What difference does that make? None.
Scheme, talent, effort…it’s all the same answer. It’s all on Mike.
His seat is warm. No doubt about it.
Let’s hope Gafford stays and these young pups come ready to bite.
I say he has to make some noise next year.
Otherwise all those on here constantly defending his product (hosed by the refs, bad shooting night, other team was just on fire etc) are going to be disappointed.

I don’t want to start over, so I hope he gets it done.
But if he doesn’t, I couldn’t care less how nice he is, or whether he went to an elite eight decades ago, or what he did 2-3 jobs ago, or about his ties with Nolan…none of that matters.
Get to the dance and win. That’s all that matters.
He should not get a ten year pass because he’s Mike Anderson.

To answer your first question, Yes, there are people that don’t feel like he has underachieved. I’ve actually touched on this several times. The expectations may have been higher for Mike than any other coach we could have hired.

As for your second question, again yes. I cautioned when Mike was first hired that it would be a slow turnaround. We had to get back to Eddie levels, before getting to Nolan levels. Almost everyone on here said they’d be fine just getting to the dance every year. That’s where we currently are.

As for the rest, you’ve touched on some things that have been posted, but ignored the others that may show you may be off base in your expectations. I’m not saying that to “pick on you” or “start a internet fight” as some on here have accused people of. Read all the posts, even if they show Mike in a good light. You might be surprised at how well he is actually doing, compared to what some think.

Now, finally you’ve said something others have said, get to the tournament (we are) and win. I asked this question to another poster earlier, if you make it to the FF once in seven years in your only trip to the tournament, is that better than making multiple tournaments?

I am someone who believes Mike has not underachieved, with one exception – he was not prepared for Portis and Qualls to leave.

The college basketball world is completely different than it was in 1976 - 1996. This has been discussed at length. I am happy with the job Coach Anderson has done/is doing.

I really like the idea of Mike being the guy who takes us back to the glory days. As an Arkansan, I feel like the story behind it all means something a little more to us. In a way, it unifies every generation across the state. However, this idea is only that. If you could guarantee firing Mike would get us to a National Championship, I’d make a coaching change. But Mike’s record at UAB and Mizzou was as good as it could get, so who knows if anything better exists?

Right now, he’s got us in the right direction. The vision of Mike being the guy who takes us back is alive and well. Am I thrilled of the progress made over the past seven years? No. Will it take more than NCAA appearances to make the fans happy? Of course. But most Arkansans are completely fine with where this adventure is heading. Ask again in two years.

He had a much more difficult job than most will concede given the state of college basketball recruiting, the state of SEC basketball, and the state of Arkansas basketball. He was able to build teams faster at UAB and Mizzou. That should tell the “but we are Arkansas crowd” something about Arkansas in the 2010’s. Nobody wants this to be the ceiling, but nobody wants to ask why this has been the ceiling for over 20 years through four different coaches.

Only place that Anderson’s seat is warm is in the minds of some that have no influence. If you think that a new AD is going to come in and fire a Basketball coach that has cleaned up a dumpster fire program, wins 20+ games and makes the NCAA tournament then you are in for a big disappointment.

Yes but a good AD would be able to see that the record is a mirage…especially after the basketball team from the school he left blew us out. It’s easy to win 20 games now. Our SOS was 30th this year. 4 SEC teams were in the top 10 SOS. Bama, Vandy, TAMU, and UK. Bama won 19 and Vandy won 12. Nine teams won 19 or more games. That’s more than 3/4 of the league.

20 games isn’t all that anymore. It was 10 or more years ago, but now it’s really normal now. It’s the quality of the wins.

Non-conference SOS rank was 94th. Samford and cream puffs just inflate your record. We went 11-2 against those teams. The only non-conf team that was ranked we beat was Minnesota. I know we schedule some of those teams for a reason, but still.

Again, for me, the main issue is postseason…and our performances when we get there.

He’s not on the hot seat now…we’re gonna have to wait until next season to see if he can do better.

You act like we didn’t deserve an invite to NCAAT. 8 out of our 23 wins we’re quadrant 1 wins. That is why our RPI was 29 or whatever. That is why we were a lock. Are you suggesting it is quite easy to get an invite?

Is SECT not part of postseason? We have made 2 funalscand 1 semi in the last four years. Second best in SEC.

I do not think he has underachieved, my biggest concern is could this be ceiling, if so I want more. Could we do worse you bet, can we do better you bet but it’s not for the faint of heart because it’s very possible and probable it would get worse before getting better. If this is the ceiling will all have to decide if we are settlers or if we are willing to make a change. I honestly believe if CMA is going to stick to his trademark scheme of play then we may have reached the ceiling. I’m all in for another two years and if it’s more the same after that then I will be to ready to go in another direction. Once again CMA has revived a dead program no doubt giving credit where credit is due, but I want it to be a forgone conclusion that the Razorbacks will be a top twenty five team every year. WPS

Backer that’s well said…I thought he was on his way until this year with the program. I feel that this could be the ceiling, and we will be looking at 22-10 every year, but with a lot of the same losses and repeated patterns.

And I never said we didn’t deserve the NCAAT invite. But what the fans and supporters DIDN’T deserve was the way we ended the season, SEC tourney, and against Butler.

And if we are going to keep going to semi’s, great. But if we never win the SEC, or progress and get better in the NCAA’s then MA isn’t doing what he was hired for. Now, if he was hired to get the program back to a certain level and that’s it, then we have reached his ceiling.

All I am saying is that I want more than this. Is MA the guy to do it? Don’t know. But, most coaches that get 7-10 years have accomplished more.

Overall not at all. He saved the freaking program from the abyss.

My thoughts exactly

I’m not sure I have ever wanted a coach to succeed more than Mike.

As has been noted, he is trending better these last four years with three of four making NCAA. Next year likely missing NCAA due to youth.

If I’m honest, even with Mike inheriting bad situation, I thought we would have seen a sweet sixteen or two by end of year seven. But a break or two and maybe we would have so maybe not that far off.

I do worry for Mike’s program ceiling at times. Seems at times our program goal is just making the tourney, and having just enough personnel resources to do just enough.

I know he expresses that Arkansas should always be in the tourney and our program is about more.

I give him a lot of credit for reviving a program from the dark days.

But I would expect other coaches in an Arkansas situation to have at least this much success if given seven years.

Could a Chris Beard or another do as well over seven years here, or get us back to true national discussion again is a legit question.

Perhaps one we would not be asking if Mike’s senior laden team didn’t get blown out of SEC tourney and then blown out of first round of NCAA.

Mike should be the Arkansas coach and it’s crazy to talk about replacing him.

But he has not achieved so much success in seven years to be above some concerns of fan base who were alive from ‘78 through 2000, or those who see lessor historical programs seemingly reach higher national prominence in less time.

There are lots of people who don’t think he has underachieved. And then there are way more who live in reality and realize the thought he is or will be receiving a “pass” much less a “10-year pass” is beyond ridiculous.

Maybe it’s not a pass. Maybe it’s just that we have reached a level as a program where middle of the pack sec results are acceptable.
That might be even worse.

How many tourney wins does Mike have in seven years? Is that what you envisioned? If so, good for you. I wish I could set the bar that low. It would make being a Hog fan a lot easier. But that’s just not how I see it. He’s making top 25 salary.
Are we a top 25 program? Hardly.

I was really just curious what mindsets are right now.
Obviously, by my title and content of my post, I feel he has underachieved. I feared when Mike was hired he would win just enough to stick around for a while. Ala HDN.

It appears by the responses most are happy with the progress and encouraged that better things are coming. Or maybe just satisfied to make the dance.
That’s ok too. Just own it. That’s all.
That’s where we are as a program. Lots of newbies coming now, so basically starting over next year.
I honestly want him to get it done.

But I’m not sure how much patience we need to have as a fan base. Help me out here.
At what point do we say it’s not working?
I’m not sure I’m there yet, honestly. But what’s the minimum? Heading into year 8 now.
Finish this for me…
By year 10, Mike needs to have _______ to keep his job here. Or is there no good answer to that question? I asked this a few seasons back and many Mike supporters said sweet sixteen by now.
Seems like nobody wants to put any real criteria on that, because then they would have to say he’s not getting it done.

Nobody is failing to own anything. I think many people have the ability to look at the whole picture.

That’s the thing. You can be disappointed in the lack of a S16 but be wary of a change and not be “settling”.

But, not on the internet, because then you’ve just lowered your expectations any are “settling for mediocrity”.

Doesn’t really matter what I say, though. You’re gonna think what you think. That’s clear from your posts. You throw out “10 year pass” and “middle of the pack” results when posters have time and again shown that we have been in the Top 2-3 in the SEC as a whole over the last 4 years.

Acknowledging progress and also being disinclined to vote for a potential Heath/Pelphrey debacle a year after we had the NC on the ropes and followed that with 23 wins doesn’t make one a settler.

It just means some disagree with many of the same people who started all off this in the first place in the late 90s and aughts by ripping one of the best HCs in college hoops history and crying that the program was in the tank when in their downturn they were still steadily winning 22-23 games, going to the NCAAT and finishing near the top of the SECw and had big-time recruits coming here.

Not wanting to fire the HC doesn’t automatically mean everyone is perfectly happy or content, either. There’s plenty of room between happy/content and wanting to burn it down.

You don’t seem to acknowledge that, though, because you’re a go big or go home, tell it like it is guy, and we are just a bunch of mediocre, bar-lowering settlers. Right.

Nobody is failing to own anything. I think many people have the ability to look at the whole picture.

That’s the thing. You can be disappointed in the lack of a S16 but be wary of a change and not be “settling”.

But, not on the internet, because then you’ve just lowered your expectations any are “settling for mediocrity”.

Doesn’t really matter what I say, though. You’re gonna think what you think. That’s clear from your posts. You throw out “10 year pass” and “middle of the pack” results when posters have time and again shown that we have been in the Top 2-3 in the SEC as a whole over the last 4 years.

Acknowledging progress and also being disinclined to vote for a potential Heath/Pelphrey debacle a year after we had the NC on the ropes and followed that with 23 wins doesn’t make one a settler.

It just means some disagree with many of the same people who started all off this in the first place in the late 90s and aughts by ripping one of the best HCs in college hoops history and crying that the program was in the tank when in their downturn they were still steadily winning 22-23 games, going to the NCAAT and finishing near the top of the SECw and had big-time recruits coming here.

Not wanting to fire the HC doesn’t automatically mean everyone is perfectly happy or content, either. There’s plenty of room between happy/content and wanting to burn it down.

You don’t seem to acknowledge that, though, because you’re a go big or go home, tell it like it is guy, and we are just a bunch of mediocre, bar-lowering settlers. Right.

[/quote]

I’m ccurious about something else.
Have you ever tried to refute someone or debate objectively without being a total condescending a-hole? Or coming across as one at least.
I wonder if you’re such a smug know it all face to face? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, I never said I want to burn it down.
See, that’s the thing. That’s what some of you guys love to do. Generalize and twist your comments and points of view into something other than what people actually say.
I don’t get the point of that.
I actually said I’m not at the point of wanting a change.

Along your line of thought, however, people can actually be displeased and unsure if the program is going on the right direction without saying Mike Anderson needs to go.
But you jump right to I want him fired and people like me are the reason Nolan got fired.
You might need to move on from Nolan big guy.
Let. It. Go.
If you think “fans like me” are what got him fired, you’re off on so many levels.

First of all, I loved me some Nolan. But he made some bad choices and silly statements and they called his bluff. A mess, no doubt, but one he played a large role in creating.

I want Mike to succeed, but at Arkansas, if you can’t get past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney by your tenth season, you gotta go.
Wouldn’t you agree? Is that not reasonable?
What is your threshold Pig? Do you not have one?
Or do you just notoriously slam others for their discussion of expectations?

Edit…
FYI my sec middle of the pack comment was off.
I went back and looked harder.
He’s averaged 5th overall and 4th the past 4 years.
Not 2-3, but not middle of the pack either.
Certainly progress.
Am I greedy. Sure, I’ll admit that.
But honestly I don’t care all that much about our sec finish (which appears to have been overrated this year).
I’m far more interested in doing even just a little damage in the tourney.

I’m ccurious about something else.
Have you ever tried to refute someone or debate objectively without being a total condescending a-hole? Or coming across as one at least.
I wonder if you’re such a smug know it all face to face? Somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, I never said I want to burn it down.
See, that’s the thing. That’s what some of you guys love to do. Generalize and twist your comments and points of view into something other than what people actually say.
I don’t get the point of that.
I actually said I’m not at the point of wanting a change.

Along your line of thought, however, people can actually be displeased and unsure if the program is going on the right direction without saying Mike Anderson needs to go.
But you jump right to I want him fired and people like me are the reason Nolan got fired.
You might need to move on from Nolan big guy.
Let. It. Go.
If you think “fans like me” are what got him fired, you’re off on so many levels.

First of all, I loved me some Nolan. But he made some bad choices and silly statements and they called his bluff. A mess, no doubt, but one he played a large role in creating.

I want Mike to succeed, but at Arkansas, if you can’t get past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney by your tenth season, you gotta go.
Wouldn’t you agree? Is that not reasonable?
What is your threshold Pig? Do you not have one?
Or do you just notoriously slam others for their discussion of expectations?

Edit…
FYI my sec middle of the pack comment was off.
I went back and looked harder.
He’s averaged 5th overall and 4th the past 4 years.
Not 2-3, but not middle of the pack either.
Certainly progress.
Am I greedy. Sure, I’ll admit that.
But honestly I don’t care all that much about our sec finish (which appears to have been overrated this year).
I’m far more interested in doing even just a little damage in the tourney.

[/quote]

People just fail to realize how ADs make decisions.

ADs don’t set any bar such as 1st weekend or 2nd weekend or whatever. Those are bars set on chat boards and talk shows. In order for those bars to work, a good portion of the ticket buyers and razorback foundation contributors have to buy into them. In other words, trend in ticket sales and contributions will dictate the decision.

That is what drove the decision to terminate Heath and Pelphrey. The year Heath was fired, the chat boards had set the bar that Arkansas had to make NCAAT. Hecdid but got fired anyway. That was because of dip in ticket sakes and contributions.

It is very simple. Put your businessman hat on and it will become very clear.

What PJ said. ie: Butts in the Seats in the Bud.

People just fail to realize how ADs make decisions.

ADs don’t set any bar such as 1st weekend or 2nd weekend or whatever. Those are bars set on chat boards and talk shows. In order for those bars to work, a good portion of the ticket buyers and razorback foundation contributors have to buy into them. In other words, trend in ticket sales and contributions will dictate the decision.

That is what drove the decision to terminate Heath and Pelphrey. The year Heath was fired, the chat boards had set the bar that Arkansas had to make NCAAT. Hecdid but got fired anyway. That was because of dip in ticket sakes and contributions.

It is very simple. Put your businessman hat on and it will become very clear.

[/quote]

I do realize, of course, that it is all about revenue.
If Mike goes home the first weekend, or heck, even if he does not even make the tourney the next ten years and he’s selling out the Bud somehow, he’s going nowhere.
I get that. But of course, that won’t be the case.
Once fans become disgruntled, or disenchanted with the coach/product, they quit buying tickets.

In that regard, fans’ expectations are related to a coach’s longevity at a particular school.
I was just trying to get a gauge of what that bar is here on the board. A small sample size yes, but living in Oklahoma, this is my Razorback lifeline.

But apparently I did so in an inflammatory way.
Not really my intention.
Oh well.