I liked how Austin Allen played Saturday

I hit on this in my story Saturday, but I thought he looked real comfortable. He is the most polished quarterback on the roster and it isn’t close. He looks comfortable under center and in the shotgun, making checks at the line of scrimmage, in the pocket and on the move.

He has been comfortable throwing on the run since high school, but the biggest adjustment I’ve seen from him is the ability to stay in the pocket, step up and throw. There was one play Saturday where a defensive lineman had a good run at him. A lineman - Skipper, I think - brushed the defender and Austin sidestepped him, stepped up and made a perfect throw to Dominique Reed, who was well covered. It went for 18 yards.

There are going to be a lot of comparisons between Austin’s first season and Brandon’s first as starter. I think Austin’s will go much better because he is older, more experienced in the offense and has a better all-around support.

Austin Allen’s arm has improved. He’s made a jump with velocity, accuracy and just overall strength. It reminds me of the same thing that Clint Stoerner did between his sophomore and junior year. I’m sure some of it is just natural maturation, but I think he’s stronger and better with his feet. Dan Enos has done nice work with Austin.

I was concerned about the arm strength of Austin Allen. He did not have a lot of arm strength when he was forced to play against Ole Miss 2+ years ago in Fayetteville. That is about all I have seen of him except for the spring game I watched on the SEC channel this year. He did look to have improved his ability to throw the ball. He does not have what I would call a “gun”, but it appears he has enough ability to be a solid, dependable SEC quarterback.

In my view, he is the key to this season…we are going to go about as far as Austin Allen can take us. I expect the defense to be much improved…it has to be better…it can’t get much worse. I expect the offense to be good…not as good as last year when we were the most versatile offense in the SEC, but good.

7-8 wins is about what I think…about like last year. Our schedule, though tough, allows us to play most of the really good teams at home. That is a big deal when you have so much parity in the West.

If he gets hurt, it will be a rough year.

[quote=“MattJones”]
I hit on this in my story Saturday, but I thought he looked real comfortable. He is the most polished quarterback on the roster and it isn’t close. He looks comfortable under center and in the shotgun, making checks at the line of scrimmage, in the pocket and on the move.

He has been comfortable throwing on the run since high school, but the biggest adjustment I’ve seen from him is the ability to stay in the pocket, step up and throw. There was one play Saturday where a defensive lineman had a good run at him. A lineman - Skipper, I think - brushed the defender and Austin sidestepped him, stepped up and made a perfect throw to Dominique Reed, who was well covered. It went for 18 yards.

There are going to be a lot of comparisons between Austin’s first season and Brandon’s first as starter. I think Austin’s will go much better because he is older, more experienced in the offense and has a better all-around support.
[/quote]how would you compare AA vs. BA running ability? Is one faster than the other?

I think Brandon is probably a little faster.

I think the senior version of Brandon, finally without the shoulder injury or lingering concerns, is a much more willing runner than Austin. Faster, too, like Matt said.

But Austin did throw the ball well on waggles and bootlegs Saturday. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move the pocket a ton mixed with a lot of quick, short routes early in the season as the OL finds itself.

I agree and to me AA has seemed very confident in himself and his team mates. This team is not going to have a 2-4 start.

I wrote about Austin yesterday. He believes he throws better than last year, especially when on the move. He worked on that this summer. He throws it harder and better now. I don’t see any difference - or much - between what I saw from Brandon. He knows to step up in pocket, something Brandon didn’t do till last year.