I keep thinking what Tuberville said this Fall...

When he mentioned what he would do if he were the coach at Arkansas. I think it was something to the effect of what is being put in place. Hire some of the best football coordinators in the country and let them coach the offense and defense with the head coach supporting. Then hire a ton of ace recruiters on both sides to go out and build what the offense and defense need. Not that they aren’t coaching positions still, but their 1st priority is recruiting kids to the school.

That’s what I feel like I’m seeing put in place.

Also Tuberville said that we have got to recruit Ark and the border states around Ark., And Hit the state of Texas hard. Looks like this staff is going to do that…

Without question, that’s what is happening. Recruiting is the number one priority. You have coaches who can coach. I’m impressed with the offensive line coach, Dustin Fry. I also like the idea that Barry Lunney is retained to provide offensive continuity and John Scott can provide that for the defense.

I keep hearing good things about John Scott and how he is able to work with the different personalities on this defensive line. Personalities is a good word. They need a little fatherly advice at times, and he’s good at that.

I think Chad Morris addressed a little of that today in that Scott was able to provide insight into some of the different dudes on this team and who can play.

I know that everyone can recruit. I know some here have not said much about Chavis and his recruiting. But I was told several years ago that he’s a great closer in that he can explain his defense to recruits and they like it. That’s a big part of recruiting. Players always gravitate to Chavis and play hard for him.

There is little doubt that Chavis was Morris’ target from the get go. That’s pretty neat if you get your number one pick when you are hiring coaches.

It appears that the machine put in place is all about recruiting. That’s exactly what Tuberville said was needed. So agreed.

I’d love to know what Scott and Morris talked about in the interview. Sounded intriguing.

I am going to say that no one is ever going to reveal that conversation. I sure wouldn’t.

I sure liked what I heard from these guys. I am certainly still in the “show me” frame and will stay there for some time. Anybody can talk, but I like it none the less.

There is no doubt that Arkansas is going to attack and continue to attack. No more sitting back and taking it. I like that. Now, how are they going to attack the likes of Alabama? Still, it must be done.

I loved it when Coach Morris quoted me from this board after the Championship game. No doubt he took it from me off this Board: Speed, speed , and more speed. That is more like what has made great Arkansas teams.

Jim, I like what he says about speed. It doesn’t have to be track speed. Moving short distances in space is speed. That can be like literal quickness. And, I know some of the Arkansas teams in the past were quick. And, that’s quick in space. Jimmy Johnson wasn’t a true speed guy, but he was sure quick. That’s quick with feet and quick with hands.

Bingo Jim - I like what I’m hearing as well, but I liked what Bielema said when he was hired. We are on the honeymoon right now and almost everybody is hopeful. That said, like you, I’ll wait to see the evidence - in recruiting, on gameday, etc.

Let’s hope we got it right this time.

[quote=“ColoradoHog”]

I sure liked what I heard from these guys. I am certainly still in the “show me” frame and will stay there for some time. Anybody can talk, but I like it none the less.

There is no doubt that Arkansas is going to attack and continue to attack. No more sitting back and taking it. I like that. Now, how are they going to attack the likes of Alabama? Still, it must be done.

I loved it when Coach Morris quoted me from this board after the Championship game. No doubt he took it from me off this Board: Speed, speed , and more speed. That is more like what has made great Arkansas teams.

[/quote]Coach Morris said that in his introduction: “If you don’t have speed, then you are chasing speed.” And that is more true in the SEC than in any other conference in the country. I liked the comments from the new Strength coach, too. To my mind, the use of yoga will help the flexibility and recovery of the athletes. It will be interesting to see the results on the field.

One of my favorite quotes he said in his interview

I’ll tell you another thing that I like about the hiring of Chavis, and it’s contract-intuitive to the “he’s too old” narrative that many posts criticizing the hire (even as he was not yet officially hired) over the past couple of weeks.

I’ll start by saying that I really think it’s invigorating to have so many new younger coaches joining the staff. If you’re gonna make a change - make a change! Let’s get some new, fresh faces with energy and different teaching styles for our team to react to. I hope and believe that our team will react favorably to some of these younger, more aggressive coaches.

That said, I believe that it’s very important to have at least one or two “Father figures” on a staff. For one thing, let’s not forget that some of our young men come from homes without a strong adult male presence. But, even those who do have that at home relate to someone who’s “been there and done that” in the SEC wars over a long period of time. In somewhat of a variation of the “good cop/bad cop” dynamic, call it the “young coach/seasoned coach”. Coach Morris - who, at 49, is older than his energy level might lead you to believe, provides some of that for the offensive guys with “I was at Clemson when they were transforming from a situation similar to where we are now to what they have become”. And with Chavis’ time at Tennessee and LSU (in particular), he has the “cred” the kids will respect and respond to.

From the outside, it appears that we have a super mix of youth and experience on this new staff, and I’m particularly anxious to see how the relationships (of many - not just the HC) with Texas HS coaches pays off in the 2019 recruiting class.

I really like your post and points made. I am very hopeful that this group is as good as they appear. In my opinion, this is going to be a new age for UofA recruiting in Texas, because we never had these kind of broad network relationships in Texas. We had a few select HS in TX but nothing like the door openers this staff brings to the table.

Chavis and Caldwell are big names with HS coaches almost everywhere in the South. Chavis, Caldwell and Scott are going to open a lot of doors in the SE US. Chavis is going to help us in Louisiana and Texas too. There isn’t a JUCO coach in America that won’t jump at taking a call from the Chief.