I hate thinking this way

Maybe we are reaching the point we have to accept our place as a middle tier program that may on occasion put a team together that can win the West

I have only a glimmer of hope left that Coach Morris can really do somthing special here because of his ability to evaluate, his personality on building relationships, his connections to a supplemental recuiting base, his maturity in the face of adversity - he may be able to make a proverbial “silk purse” out of this ragged sows ear.

Conservatively - I’m thinking we won’t know for sure until 2021 - that’s a dismal wait considering all the failure of years past

But if Coach Morris fails - The reputation of Arkansas being the place Coaches careers come to die could become an urban fact - greatly limiting the pool of coaches needed and Arkansas always looking for a “project coach”

no matter what - I see Arkansas continuing to have success as a regional program after all - there is no pro team to divert limited resources - so the Population Of Arkansas and the Alumni will continue to want information and products that promotes a nitch market

I’m thinking we are at a sentinel time -

For me I’m all in for Coach Morris success because I don’t see Arkansas recovering in a TV Sports market culture that feeds a Globalist fandom that only honors Wins, power and player personality over team work, great effort and regional identity.

I see Coach Morris as Arkansas last hope for national success

But Arkansas will survive no matter what because the people of Arkansas love the Razorbacks - they just may not be revelant outside of a corner of the SEC West If Coach Mortis fails

Dang I hate thinking this way

we are not middle tier, we are the bottom, we own the basement. it will take more than a couple of years for us to climb to “middle tier”.

This. I’m starting to accept as fact that we can never be as good as the top teams, but that doesnt mean I will care any less about the Hogs.

Though I have posted that the jury is still out on Coach Morris, I have seen much improvement in this team. We are a very competitive football team for a half. So I have faith that Coach Morris can turn us into a competitive team for 4 quarters. We were close against Ole Miss, but injuries really hunt us. Somehow he has to find a way to get this losing mentality out of the team. It started 2 years ago and continues. Even with that said, I believe that you are correct that Coach Morris can lead this program back from the abyss and I feel that it will happen faster than 2021. Keep the faith.

All thanks the Bielema, I agree these may be realities.

What a horrendous mistake it was to hire him. Even more horrendous to not fire him after he clearly didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Only thing worse than a historically bad coach is a historically incompetent AD. Yeah he was good with the money, but my god could he destroy a football program with hires.

Really?? CBB’s fault??

We have been middle tier since we joined the SEC.

Yes we won the watered down west a few times and got curb stomped in the Championship games.

Even when CBP was here we were 3rd in the west and got slapped by both Ala and LSU

We are not on the level with the big boys in the SEC and will never be.
Can we win games against them? Hell Yeah we can but never be with them year in year out.

Even as CCM is recruiting like crazy the biggest issue is OL . Without good or great ones we will struggle in the SEC.

Bielema is responsible for the worst 6 year stretch in Arkansas history.

He was hired 1 year after back to back double digit win seasons and a top 10 finish.

His best team was loaded with key players he didn’t recruit.

Mutt was capable of winning, not as much as we’d all like but he won plenty of games.

Yes it is absolutely Bielemas fault in a large part, he is the worst coach in Arkansas history and we are in a huge, huge hole because of his incompetence.

It’s time to move past the blame game for our recent demise, too many factors involved. But instead focus on the future rise back to respectability. We can’t expect to go from cellar dwellers to an upper tier program in this conference at the blink of an eye.
CCM Is pushing himself, his staff, and the players to continue to fight their way thru this. It was obvious early in the season not everyone had bought in to his scheme and plan & it looked like the team tanked it very early, but progress started showing quickly & continues to show. Honestly I don’t see how these guys keep getting back up each week, but they do & that can only be due to the man in charge.
I only need to look back at that JLS season & that early loss to ULM & saw a much more talented team & coaches throw in the towel early. CBB wasn’t the answer to that as we now know.
Look forward to the day when we can blame someone for bringing us back to respectability & challenging the big boys again. I think that man is on our sideline now.

I didn’t say he was any good or didn’t screw up.

He had us ranked #15 and 17 so I guess he did ok for a year or so

What I said was we are and have been middle or lower tier.

Yes we were #3 in the old BCS but what that meant was we were still 3rd on our on division.

In the past we were better than MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy but no where near the top.
All you have to do is check our record against the other teams in the SEC, I would be surprised if we have winning records against anyone but TAM and that was from the SWC

What the heck does it matter if he had a ranked team for a week or two? He got fired because he was god awful. No one cares about mid season rankings.

I’m well aware of our history, and where we stand. I’m also a firm believer we can do better. You have the mentality that we should just lay over and let the other schools kick the piss out of us, poor little us. We just spent 160M on the stadium, we have some of the best facilities in the country, this program can and should be significantly better. I’m not of the mentality that we have to be a lower tier, middle of the pack at best team. That’s a losers mentality. We can be better, we can be great, it just takes someone who knows what the heck they are doing. It starts with recruiting. We need the best possible players we can get. Then we need competent coaching and development.

Not in any way defending Bielema’s record–his record speaks for itself. But it is impossible for him to be responsible for the worst 6-year period in Arkansas football when he was only here for 5 years. You can say he’s largely responsible for the worst 6-year period or to be specific, he’s responsible for 83% of the worst 6-year period, but he’s not completely responsible. “Smile” is responsible for the other 17%, or partially responsible for it. The ditched motorcyclist bears some responsibility, though none of it shows up on his W-L record. He didn’t light the match, but he’s the one that left the gas on that blew up the football program.

I said 6 country this year seeing his recruits or lack there of is a huge part of the problem this season.

That’s fair to distribute it like that.

I’d go 95-5.

I see that a lot forget the national perception of Arkansas when Bielema was hired. It’s not near as bad as some say. There were several people on ESPN/ whatever projecting that Bielema would win the West and possible the SEC within the first 5 years. One I can put my finger on it said he would win it in 3 years. Unfortunately we learned the hard way that bielema has no idea what he’s doing, even though people still love to defend him and act like he did on this board. He did not, and his record shows it, along with the recruiting, development, in game disasters.

But if you go with that line of thinking, then Bielema’s first year doesn’t count; that belongs to Smile. You see, it never ends. It’s just best to put on him his five years–that’s more than bad enough. I’m not defending him. As I said the record speaks for itself, but any time there is a coaching change, the new coach either has to be given the responsibility for that first year or not. And that would be true across the board.

Only time a coach gets credit for his 1st year is if he wins.

That’s fair enough. Although in hindsight I think that when you know a coach is bad, it’s easy to say yeah the first year was probably more him than the transition.

I hope I don’t have to say that about chad.

As soon as the fans started turning on Nutt, which was about midway through 2009, then the immediate narrative was that our 2008 success was just winning with Ford’s players.

Bluegrass, I hear you. This mediocrity mixed with some reality since joining the SEC makes one wonder about a lot.

I think Arkansas can take its place among the elites.

I think we have some disadvantages others may not, but every once in a while even in the SEC we have proven ourselves.

In my view, our biggest problem the last almost three decades is consistent recruiting.

Sure, we have had some good seasons and some stand out players. But we have never been a more consistent contender. Why? Recruiting has been inconsistent for a number of factors.

What if this staff keeps this great recruiting class together? What if he does another one just as good after that?

It would be almost unprecedented for us in almost three decades if not since black and white television sets.

I think we are at a critical moment as well. I too agree that if Morris can’t turn this we will have been a lost program for some time. And that has consequences.

But what if, just what if, we keep this class together? What if there is another heralded class coming in after. What if we finally have professionalized our recruiting like we all been saying for years? What if this is our moment.

It doesn’t make the current product much fun.

But history just might be writing a new chapter for us soon about heights the program has never consistently been in the modern era.

Do you mean 98 success? I don’t remember Nutt being here in 08 either.

Ten years ago Clemson was a middling program (Tommy Bowden’s record at CU was exactly the same as Houston Nutt’s at Arkansas, 72-45, and he got fired at midseason). Then they hired Dabo and they became elite. Will they go back to middling after Dabo leaves? Quite possible. But the right coach in the right situation can work miracles (see Frank Broyles, 1958).

Bluegrass, I hear you. This mediocrity mixed with some reality since joining the SEC makes one wonder about a lot.

I think Arkansas can take its place among the elites.

I think we have some disadvantages others may not, but every once in a while even in the SEC we have proven ourselves.

In my view, our biggest problem the last almost three decades is consistent recruiting.

Sure, we have had some good seasons and some stand out players. But we have never been a more consistent contender. Why? Recruiting has been inconsistent for a number of factors.

What if this staff keeps this great recruiting class together? What if he does another one just as good after that?

It would be almost unprecedented for us in almost three decades if not since black and white television sets.

I think we are at a critical moment as well. I too agree that if Morris can’t turn this we will have been a lost program for some time. And that has consequences.

But what if, just what if, we keep this class together? What if there is another heralded class coming in after. What if we finally have professionalized our recruiting like we all been saying for years? What if this is our moment.

It doesn’t make the current product much fun.

But history just might be writing a new chapter for us soon about heights the program has never consistently been in the modern era.

[/quote]

Bushhog - I hope you are correct - I am hanging on

Coach Morris is the right choice

I hope he succeeds and you are correct

But - Arkansas has dug a hole so deep it’s a true uphill climb

I hope your right