I don't believe the inclement weather excuse

For shortening the game for a second. It took about five seconds with my phone to see the bad stuff was still well to the west and, more importantly, mainly to the south of Fayetteville. That was purely the TSU coach throwing in the towel. OK with me; it got me home a lot quicker (that and people leaving as soon as we scored the sixth TD). But the weather was just an excuse.

I’m sure it had nothing to do with the weather. When they announced the fourth quarter was only going to be ten minutes due to weather, I checked my phone. No chance of rain until the early am hours. I wish they wouldn’t have shortened the game just so our backups could get a little more PT. Most of the people were gone by the time the game ended, making getting out easier.

Ours wasn’t the only game shortened yesterday. The 3 games I saw were all FBS teams rolling over Cupcake U. “Inclement Weather” shortened each game.

I thought it was a strange thing to happen since no lightning was in the area or appeared to be imminent, but I never thought about it as being some sort of excuse just to shorten the game. I just assumed someone was being over-cautious in what was already a decided game.

But your observation brings up an interesting question: who decides things like this? I can’t believe someone thought, “This game is over. It might rain in Ft. Smith. Let’s see if the TSU coach will agree to shorten it.”. Nor can I believe the TSU coach thought, “We’re getting killed. Let me find some excuse to end this thing early. I wonder if there’s rain somewhere nearby.”

Before the game, UA makes the call. Once it begins, the game officials and the SEC office are in charge. But I can believe that the TSU coach, or somebody in the TSU party, knew the forecast, knew they were getting killed and asked to shorten the game, or at least readily agreed when the refs brought up the idea.

Now we got the great new conspiracy, the game was shortened by 5 minutes not because of the weather. Where are the censors? :lol:

My thing is that lost 5 minutes could have given valuable snaps to the young’uns we were playing. Not a huge deal. But live snaps seem to be valued by coaching snaps everywhere (this is opposed to Marcus’ view that snaps in a scrimmage are more valuable when playing a week team). So I would have loved to see Hammonds get a couple of carries. Since they have taken off his redshirt (smart…since there’s NO WAY that kid will stay 5 years.

I hate we weren’t able to get more snaps for the backups, but on the good side, we got out of that game with an easy win & no injuries. The extra 5 mins could have meant an injury or even a couple of injuries.

Surfer ole buddy, we cannot allow censoring important things like this! If the game was actually shortened in order to give the folks time to measure for the new stadium expansion on double time (on a Saturday and at night) in order to run the price up to the claimed total, those of us on this board deserve to know the truth.

It was a lame way to implement the mercy rule. Either shorten the game or go with a running clock.

Everett Withers, the Texas State coach, went to the referee as the first half ended to tell him something. The referee nodded. I don’t think either had knowledge of the weather at that point. Bret Bielema told us afterwards that someone came to inform him of approaching weather then.

I will say that at halftime, the line of storms looked pretty menacing. But if you put a future cast on it, it looked like they weakened and were not going to be an issue. I don’t know that they really knew for sure what that line of storms was going to do. But when I looked at it at halftime, I did go to find my wife (with the broken foot, boot) and told her it might be good to get started to home. She has a long walk to her car and can’t run in a storm. So she left.

At that point, middle of the halftime, the storms looked like a pretty good bet to hit Fayetteville middle of the second half, or at least by the fourth quarter. One other thing officials try to think about, what to do with all those fans in a lightning delay. Of course, it never happened. The line of storms weakened pretty quickly. By the start of the fourth quarter, it did not look like much of a threat.

Huh? That’s exactly what happened; they shortened the game by five minutes.

When the ref made his announcement, before Johnny George got on the PA and mentioned the weather, my son’s initial reaction was “They mercy-ruled it!” I’m not sure how he knows what the mercy rule is; he has only attended one high school game in his life and that one sure wasn’t mercy-ruled. I heard Johnny’s announcement and said, “OK, they had weather issues in Oklahoma, must be coming this way.” Then I looked at my weather app. Bad stuff was well to the southwest.

Applicable rule is 3.1.2.2 (a):
[quote]Any time during the game, the playing time of any remaining period
or periods and the intermission between halves may be shortened by
mutual agreement of the opposing head coaches and the referee.
[/quote] However, “running clock” as used in high school is NOT allowed.

There is no mercy rule per se in NCAA play; however the example used in the rule book is a 56-0 halftime score and the coaches agree to shorten the second half to two 12-minute quarters. This is allowed by the rules. The coaches also wanted running clock in the second half, but this is not allowed.

I like the shortening of the game. I don’t care for a running clock. By shortening the game, you can still teach things with situational awareness. Running the clock essentially just ends the game because 10 minutes of actual time probably only equates to about 3 - 4 minutes of game action.

could have been smart considering what happened to Florida’s QB. Just sayin…

Question is then, would it have been shortened if we were up by only 2 TD’s?
More than likely not.

They were expecting inclement weather. The press box was open air for most of the game, but they closed the windows because they anticipated storms.

I know what the weather apps (I have several and they all showed basically the same thing) were showing. But you can also take into consideration that both the mobilehoma and the okie lite games were delayed by storms. That front did look a bit nasty before it drifted South and dissipated.

I think it was weather related, but because of travel, not the game. I’m in North Texas, and areas here got pounded late Saturday and early Sunday. Yes, the coach conceded, but the point wasn’t to shorten the game, but to get home before the storms hit. That’s my guess anyway.

If it had been a close game, they would have kept playing.

I umpire girls’ softball, and I’ve called state and national tournament games in which one coach forfeited a late game rather than return after a weather delay, or even play another inning, if he was hopelessly behind. Tournaments schedules are different that football, obviously, but the coaches wanted the team to get a good night’s sleep for tomorrow morning’s loser-bracket game rather than hang around another hour or whatever in a game they can’t win. That leads me to believe that the TSU coach was looking at the travel schedule when he offered to give up early and beat the weather.