Hypothetical - one scholarship left

Do you “recruit” JD Notae to come back (along with an attractive NIL deal) for one more year to hone his PG skills before going pro, or do you give the last scholarship to 5* Anthony Black?

Also, saying “they will take both” is not an acceptable answer :wink:

Discuss …

Wax

No brainer - Black

1 Like

I’m sure there will be a few guys transfer out as well.

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a no-brainer. Black is a very talented kid, but the woods are full of very talented kids who couldn’t cut it at the high D-I level. Duke had three kids transfer out to SEC schools last year. Notae, for his faults, produces, and he might produce more efficiently with better talent around him.

As Dudley has been saying for years, the numbers tend to work themselves out.

2 Likes

Swine, for the purposes of conversation, you take Black. As for your comments, I absolutely agree, you take both and know the numbers will work themselves out. A starting lineup of Black, Notae, Smith, Walsh, and Williams will be lethal.

2 Likes

That would be a lethal lineup, I agree. Although I’m not sure you don’t start Toney as a defensive stopper anyway, assuming he also returns.

2 Likes

Honestly, I actually think we have more of a chance at Toney returning than JD. I think we’d play Black (6’8 PG), Smith (6’6 seeing different heights listed SG), Walsh (6’7 SF with 42 inch vertical), Toney (6’6 our defensive stopper), and JWill (6’10).

That will probably be a much better shooting team than last night, and they are also all long and athletic, I think they could be a better defensive team as well. That’s just plain scary

2 Likes

Notice, I didn’t mention Ford (who I’ve seen many knowledgeable recruiting guys say is vastly underrated), Dunning (who is just a freak), Pinion (who is a sharpshooter, after watching Allen last night, I think that’s what we will see with Pinion), and Devo (I am actually am dropping Devo to #9/10 off the bench depending on Notae and JD’s decisions)

That should make everyone even more excited for next year than what’s happened the past two years (and this one ain’t over, yet)

4 Likes

We are getting to the point where we reload.

It’s a great place to be.

3 Likes

Yes it is

1 Like

And that’s losing a guy who made 8 steals last night.

I agree that there’s probably a greater chance of Toney coming back than JD, but the chance of both is not zero.

1 Like

I kind of think the chance that both return are zero. Right now, it’s my belief it’s about a 90% chance both leave, but hey I’ve been wrong before. I’d love to have either and I’d be estatic for both

1 Like

I thought I saw someone asked Toney what he was going to do and he said he was going to finish the season before he decides his next move. Or not-move. Which is a standard non-answer but may also be true.

Notae needs to work some more on his PG skills. Thats his future

I’m almost 100% positive JD is gone. I know DD has hinted that as well. Toney is a tweener. It’s my opinion that guys in Toney’s position (4th year SR that can get money overseas) Muss encourages to become pro.

Now, could Muss encourage him to return? Yes. Will I be upset if he does, Not at all. If either return we become better, but then it becomes who leaves?

1 Like

That was before NIL. I believe someone quoted Muss as saying he wishes he hadn’t told Tate to leave. Jalen is currently unemployed after playing two months in Germany. Would have been nice to have him back.

1 Like

I agree with you, I think he would have been good for about four more wins (Hofstra, Vandy, OU, and at least one against aTm). We would have been a higher seed and probably be avoiding a one seed until next Sunday, instead of next Thursday

1 Like

Justin Smith is playing for the Raptors G League team but he’d probably be making more than a G-League salary in NIL if he’d stayed. Everything I’ve read about NIL suggests that the players are making a lot more than many of us think; it’s not just pocket change.

1 Like

My best guess on roster next season:

1. JWill
  2. Devo
  3. Audefense
  4. Kamani
  5. JaxRob
  6. Nick Jr
  7. JWalsh
  8. JPinion
  9. BDunning
  10. DFord
  11. Notae, Black or Transfer G
  12. Vanover or Transfer PF/C
  13. CMoore or KRob

If Notae decides to come back, I think Black goes elsewhere …

Wax

You could be right, Steve.