Hudson Henry contributed to Rocket's long run ----------

--------------------- by tying up the linebacker long enough to let Rocket get by, but his block illustrates our struggles at tight end. Hudson is listed at 252 lbs and he has been in our strength program for over three years, yet he runs full blast into the stationary 230 lb linebacker and gets stood up and knocked back. Rocket gets by OK so the sort of block worked but the lack of blocking ability of Henry and Knox really does limit our offense. Bax is a blocker but not much of a receiver. We have some reputed great tight ends in the pipe line and they are sorely needed.

2 Likes

CSP was very vocal about that block on his post game presser. I think it might have been Limmer that laid the pancake block on that run that was impressive.

Hudson did his job on that one. One of my all time fav tight ends was Ben Cleveland. He didn’t get many balls thrown his way but he sealed the corner for Dmac and company really, really well. A team player. While Hudson is not in his league he is a team player from all accounts. We need help at TE for sure.

4 Likes

Sam is trying to encourage Henry to be a better blocker by praising him. The sort of block worked enough but it was marginally successful.

1 Like

Rarely does a tight end get more of a block than Hudson’s. It is a timing deal. He gets there as the back cuts. That’s all you do. He is not needed to do anything more than be in the way. He hit him flush. The defender had to deal with him as the back went by. If you want him to blast him away, you are going to be disappointed. I see that same type timing block by a pulling NFL guard. It’s all that is needed.

5 Likes

Correct, some people don’t understand football, or think back to when they could crack back/chop block back in their playing days, screening someone from the ball carrier is just as effective as decleating the guy.

4 Likes

I’ve seen some screens that de-sneaker people (and were legal)

The screening or sort of a block worked and I pointed that out. There is a lack of strength shown when a 252 lb guy running hits a 230 lb guy standing and the 252 lb guy is bouncing off and falling back. Many have wondered why Hudson is not playing more and contributing more. That block, good enough for Rocket to score, may have shown a lack of strength that explains his limited playing time.

I think we can all agree that we had higher hopes for Hudson than he’s shown so far. I imagine Hudson feels the same.

2 Likes

Funny thread…could have been the play of the game.

2 Likes

Great run by Sanders in daylight. That is more than he normally needs. He is without a doubt, one heck of a back…also a great effort on the blocking.

2 Likes

It was a wonderful block/play. I do not understand anything other than that. Perfectly executed. I’ll go back under my rock. Yikes.

5 Likes

Never understood why it is so easy to go into attack mode.

1 Like

Seen more than few big boys get stopped in their tracks when trying to block Steve Atwater. Some that had 30 lbs or more on him.

When that backup QB for bama went 75 yards for a td all that happened was there was a blocker between bumper and the QB and the qb just basically cut off the blocker…he didn’t lay bumper out ,…just got in the way and thats all it took…

1 Like

That is the goal. It’s all timing.

Since I pointed out in the original post that the block helped Rocket get by and score, I am not sure why that is being pounded on here. Many of us have wished that Hudson could follow in his brother’s footsteps and make a significant contribution at tight end. The end result of his block may reveal why he is third string at best at this point in his career. I know he has been injured so that is part of it. The 30+ lb lighter linebacker appearing to be stronger standing still than the bigger Henry hitting him running may be an answer to why he has not excelled yet. I hope he will develop more strength because we need good blocking AND receiving tight ends. If this appears to be “attacking” the young man to some, so be it.

Hogmodo - I’ve said this in every thread about Hudson. He was never a TE in HS. He was a big WR that excelled on quickness, finesse and technique. He never had to block anyone.

He really struggles in run blocking. That, coupled with multiple injuries, has thwarted his career. It seems like Pittman has lost confidence in him and accounts for his meager playing time.

2 Likes

Because the REST of your post is a complaint that he didn’t lay the defender out “like he should have” (you didn’t use those exact words but the meaning was clear). Most of the responses to your comments that I have read in this thread correctly point out that any “block” that keeps the defender from impeding the back’s progress and allows him (back) to get through the hold is a successful one, regardless of aesthetics.

I’m not dumping on you, Hogmodo…but you asked and I answered your question. You may not have intended it to be critical of Henry or his ability to block, but that’s the way it reads…as evidenced by the responses.

Thanks for the objective view. That block pretty much demonstrated why he has not achieved the level of play that we all, including him I bet, hoped he would achieve. That is what I was trying to point out. I wish Knox had more strength too. Unfortunately, there is not much room in the offense for two good receivers but not so good blocking tight ends and Knox is the better receiver. Bax is the best blocker of the tight end group and that is why he plays more than Henry, to fill that role in the offense. Briles probably had Henry in to lull the defense into looking for a pass.